White film on goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfishgirly

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I recently got 2 goldfish for my 29 gallon aquarium. Yesterday I noticed on one of the fish there was a white film on its tail and it has gotten worse today. The other goldfish looks fine and I don’t know if I should try and medicate the tank, I also don’t know what to medicate with. Any advice?

Attachments

• D80F189F-1BE4-4119-A982-1DD37B31A2E6.jpg
    D80F189F-1BE4-4119-A982-1DD37B31A2E6.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 86
What are the parameters,
Ammonia
NitrIte
NitrAte

Temp?

pH?

Tank size?

Filter

How long has the tank been set up?

Sorry, I can not see the detail really well.
Are they tiny dots, check Ich?
Freshwater Ich? Yuck! - Aquarium Advice

Fish have a slime coat and can lose their slime coat under differing conditions...

You might also check about Velvet disease.

Goldfish

Hello,
I recently got 2 goldfish for my 29 gallon aquarium. Yesterday I noticed on one of the fish there was a white film on its tail and it has gotten worse today. The other goldfish looks fine and I don’t know if I should try and medicate the tank, I also don’t know what to medicate with. Any advice?

Hello Girl...

What's your water change routine? Goldfish are heavy waste producers and need their tank water changed every few days. Start a more aggressive routine to clean up the tank water. Gradually work up to the point you remove and replace half the tank water a couple of times a week. Smaller tanks require more frequent water changes. Your Goldfish also need a bit of salt in their tank water. I have several tanks of Goldfish and change out a lot of tank water every week. I also add a healthy teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to every five gallons of new, treated tap water. Larger, weekly water changes will maintain a clean, steady water chemistry and maintain good mineral and oxygen levels.

Lastly, keep all medications out of the water. You don't know how individual fish will react to some chemicals in their water. if you maintain a tank with pure water and a bit of aquarium salt, you shouldn't need to resort to using medicines.

B

Back
Top Bottom