White fungus on leaves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Friendly

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've noticed some white fuzzy fungus (I doubt it's algae) growing on the leaves of my Limnophila Aquatica and another plant that looks similar (don't know the name of it). The fungus seems to be only growing on these two plants.

I think the reason behind this is the fact that po4 is not present in my tank right now (I'm buying some flourish phosphorus this weekend). I'm also starting to see black hair algae forming on my hygro which I assume is due to lack of po4 (I'm hoping my amanos will keep it at bay until I can add some po4).

Could the lack of po4 be the reason why the fungus is growing or could it be something else? Also my nitrates are a little low as well, between 5-10 mg/L. I'm using the nutrafin nitrate test kit so I don't know how accurate it really is.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

That's not somethign I have seen before.

Can you tell us more about the aquarium? Size? lighting type and wattage? CO2 injection? (DIY or pressurized).

Only white fuzzy, mucus like stuff I've seen comes from DIY CO2 injection, but usually only presents itself around the point where CO2 enters the water column (the diffuser usually).

malkore said:
Can you tell us more about the aquarium? Size? lighting type and wattage? CO2 injection? (DIY or pressurized).

The size of the tank is 75g with 130w of pc (6700k) lighting and a 40w fluorescent (18000k). I’m injecting Co2 with the nutrafin natural Co2 system. I do plan on switching to pressurized very soon, but I’m still trying to figure out how I’m going to set it all up.

malkore said:
Only white fuzzy, mucus like stuff I've seen comes from DIY CO2 injection, but usually only presents itself around the point where CO2 enters the water column (the diffuser usually).

Yeah I’ve had that white stuff grow on the ladder before, but this fuzz looks different. One of the affected plants is right beside the ladder, but there’s no white fuzzy stuff growing on the ladder itself.

Also my Co2 hasn’t been working properly either. I haven’t been getting a steady stream of bubbles, which is probably another reason why (besides lack of Po4) black hair algae is starting to grow in my tank. Sometimes the stream of bubbles completely stops for a few hours.

If you want I can try to get a pic of the fuzz, but I’m not sure if it will show up.

Well here are two pics (I hope it's clear enough). You can see the fuzz better in the second pic. The short white fuzz completely covers the feather like leaves and I can't even brush it off. Has anybody else ever seen this before?

img_611493_0_62e9e9c4369ecf65cb0bebaa17ed5b5b.jpg

img_611493_1_66b7929d9b2c4b2a07220525d34d9002.jpg

Back
Top Bottom