White fungus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sameden

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Dear all, I am starting a new freshwater tank and don't have fish yet. I have been running the filter now for 3 weeks, but have noticed fluffy dense white fungus or algae growing on the wood and plastic plants. ANY ADVICE? Thanks, Sam

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Google driftwood fungus. It's common on newly submerged wood and will go away on its own.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Oh thank you! That's reassuring. Is there anything that will eat the stuff, corries, otos? Sam

Yeah, otos probably would. Some people have luck with mystery and nerite snails, I didn't. Just don't get fish for the sole purpose of eating that because within three weeks it'll take care of itself. It's not heavily attached, you could brush it off yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Removing Fungus

Dear all, I am starting a new freshwater tank and don't have fish yet. I have been running the filter now for 3 weeks, but have noticed fluffy dense white fungus or algae growing on the wood and plastic plants. ANY ADVICE? Thanks, Sam

Hello sam...

Nothing to worry about. Get some Ramshorn snails from the local pet store. They'll remove the fungus in a short time.

B

I've had this on my tree, fish eat it or scrub off with a new toothbrush

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I suppose it could be a good thing since it's supposedly a bacterial colony on it. Although I'm not sure what kind of bacteria.. Could be one unrelated to cycling but harmless nonetheless. I have the same thing but only on the suction cups and plastic "driftwood" piece, my real driftwood piece I boiled really well and it probably removed the carbs the bacteria seem to love.

Many of the pages I've come across on the subject are informative but only really have information from and observational view.. so I'm curious if anyone ever came across some more science based threads on the subject just in curiosity. Either way it appears it goes away on average of about 1-2 months at most based on the threads I've already skimmed. Sometimes it comes back briefly in some tanks then eventually just stops all together.

This is white driftwood fungus probably, this often happens in new tanks. This can last for 3-5 months, nothing harmfull. You can manually remove it, or keep it there, will go away by itself.

Thank you for of of your replies, really helpful. I will leave it for now. I agree the threads I have read on it are not really very scientific, however I am happy to go with all of your good advice. Thanks. Sam

Back
Top Bottom