White Side and Hole in/on Platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevan07

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have been having a bit of a time resetting up my 29 gallon tank. The problems started when I bought sick platys and it has gone downhill from there.

Anyway long story short three of the four platys died and the one male left came down with ich. I treated him using daily water changes and raising the temperature to 86/87 degrees and the ich went away in about 10 days. However, once the ich was gone I noticed that on his left side he has one round white spot (the size of a small pimple) and his right side (the area directly above his belly) had a round white patch. I have been researching for several days trying to figure out what this is, about the only thing I could come up with was it sounds somewhat like Columnaris at which point I have been trying to find a good and reliable way to treat it.

However, this morning I looked in the tank and he still looked the same, I just looked in the tank about 15 minutes ago and on his right side (the part that is white) looks like someone poked a hole through him (it is the size of a pencil tip). Now I know that can't be good but I have no idea what to do for it or what it is.

Has anyone had this issue and/or have a way to treat/cure it? Or should I just count this fish as another loss?

The tank is still trying to cycle so I am aware that the benefical bacteria not being present isn't helping the situation but the ammonia is always below 0.25ppm so it isn't as bad as it could be. If he does die I am just going to buy some ammonia and fishless cycle, however, does anyone know how I can make sure that this disease it out of the tank or will the ammonia kill pretty much anything in the tank, or should I drain it, leave it empty for 3 days and start over?

Any help, suggestions, or experience in this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I think columnaris can last a month in a tank with no fish but my impression has been that a lot of these infections are in the water, healthy fish just have no issue. Could either put the fish down if looks hopeless or try a general fungal cure in case fungal not bacterial. If bacterial then low temps, salt and whatever meds you can get - in my experience this has to be caught early otherwise tough going though.

Thank you for the response.

That is about what I was coming up with but was wondering if I was missing something. What sort of medicine can treat this? I have pimafix and melafix but I have heard those don't do much other then possibly increase a fishes immune system.

Also is it possible to treat for fungal and bacterial at the same time or do you have to pick one and hope for the best?

On a side note the ph in the tank is around 8.4 if that makes a difference in what medication can be used.

Thank you for the response.

That is about what I was coming up with but was wondering if I was missing something. What sort of medicine can treat this? I have pimafix and melafix but I have heard those don't do much other then possibly increase a fishes immune system.

Also is it possible to treat for fungal and bacterial at the same time or do you have to pick one and hope for the best?

On a side note the ph in the tank is around 8.4 if that makes a difference in what medication can be used.

Pimafix and melafix I find more for early stage but seen some good results with melafix lately. But yes, more for a mild case I find. Really depends what you can get though. Good news is pimafix and melafix can be combined.

Salt (no additives) good for everything, particularly bacteria and ich. Plants don't like it. I started at 1 teaspoon per 5 gallon and had catfish at 2 tablespoon per 5 gallon no issues. 1 tablespoon per gallon is most I've seen. A QT is good as if the fish loses equilibrium and rolls over you can take out.

Water changes always help. Temps on lower side for fish type will slow down bacterial infection.

Tetracycline might be out at high ph, I will have to check tonight.

I have combined triple-sulpha with anti-fungals, I'll see if I still have the bottle. Sometimes there is a note on the bottle if it can be combined or not.

If you can post a photo that may help. Usually I try a med on what I think it is plus mild salt dose and see how that goes as most here are a three day treatment.

Back
Top Bottom