White spiral spots on Aquarium Glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eaglesfaninchargersland

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have noticed recently that I have some tiny little white spiral spots growing on my aquarium glass. what are these? I have been looking online and I keep finding all different things that it could be. I am believing that they are spirobid worms!:confused: They are small like the size of a pinhead or alittle bigger, white, and hard. They stick to the glass and to get them off I have to scrub/scrape them off. My biggest concern is that I have a turbo snail that seems to be attracting them because they are attaching to its shell! Is the bad for my snail? If anyone knows please let me know before it gets too bad.

They are some type of pods. They are not bad and they will disapear after time. You`ll be OK.

Well thanks for the info. Will it affect the snail at all? Also I have noticed that my yellow tang is starting to get some brownish color on the lower back area. Any idea what that is? I can take pics if needed.

ID take pics of the tang and post it in the sick fish section, as far as the snail, your fine I have a couple in my tank still, its a good sign that your tank is on its way from wehat ive heard/read like melosu58 said, their pods, if you look really close you will see like little feathers sticking out of it, pretty cool if ya ask me...reef tanks so much life youd never expect to see

It is actually a worm that is similar to a feather duster they have calcareous tubes and belong to the serpulidae family of worms so it is actually quite harmless and is called a pileolaria, they are a sign of a helthy aquarium and are live rock hitchhikers i would not worry about them like i said they are really harmless to anything.

Attachments

• pileolaria.doc
    24 KB · Views: 654
+1 on the feather duster. I had loads of them when I first setup my Aq. They will come and go with the food supply.

If it's Spiral on your glass I don't think it's Pods, But I know for Sure it's a Feather Duster....

Back
Top Bottom