White spot question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piercy87

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had bad white spot and it killed all but two fish. Those two fish didn't even get white spot where as all other fish had it badly and died no matter what I done to help, I didn't have a quarantine tank and copper wasn't an option. I tried oodinex but all that was good for was dyeing my clear silicone green. Now the remaining two fish seem fine with no spots how long would you leave the tank before adding any new fish. I was thinking 8 weeks minimum. I have also started an tmc ozone as this should help in future with parasites.

Even though your two fish show no signs of ich they can and will carry the parasite - unless you leave your tank fallow (fish less) for at least 6-8 weeks any new arrivals will be vulnerable. Best to fallow and QT new fish. Only copper or hypo cure ich, any other so called ich medications don't work I afraid...

How about a fresh water dip even with no spots

A freshwater dip in my opinion does nothing but stress the fish. It is useful if the fish is covered in ich as it will cause them to drop off but thats about it.

As stated, the best and only way to get rid of ich and be sure of it is hyposalinity or copper in a separate tank. You dont have to go crazy with another tank either, just a heater and some sort of filter would be fine. No rock or sand is needed. It can be done very cheaply if you look around.

Back
Top Bottom