White Spot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone

About five days ago I noticed some of my fish started to show white spots all over their bodies. I quickly removed them to my hospital tank, and about 24 hours later I noticed the remaining fish also started to show signs and moved them into the hospital tank too.

I treated the hospital tank water with anti-white spot, and I understand this can take a few weeks to be fully effective.

I've drained the water from my original tank, cleaned it as thoroughly as I could, rinsed all the plants and ornaments and re-filled it. For 24 hours I did not treat the tapwater as I had hoped that the chlorine present in the water might go some way to disinfecting any bacteria that was left. I then added a dechlorinator, waited 24 hours again and put back the filter (with new media, incase the old lot was infected).

I'm just wondering how long I should leave the fish in the hospital tank before reintroducing them to their original tank again? Should I do it all at once, or just introduce fish who look to be free from symptoms first?

Thanks,

Rik.

It takes about a month of running empty for a tank to rid itself of ich. Of course by then you would lose your cycle. All of your fish have been exposed so they all have it. Hopefully they are getting better. If your QT is big enough for the fish then you could leave them there and feed the bacteria in your main. If the QT is getting cramped then move the poor little guys back and treat them in the main.

Back
Top Bottom