White spot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chloelaura

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I hope this is the correct place - I'm new to this lol.

I set up my aquarium of goldfish around three months ago. I have two regular black goldfish and two small white black moors.

The other day I noticed 3/4 of my fish had the symptoms of white spot and after some research I immediately went and got some white spot treatment and some suitable aquarium salts. I used the treatment and salts last night and already noticed today that most of the white spot has cleared from all of my fishes skin.

Today I did a 50% water change using an aquarium vacuum to hopefully clear most of the parasites from the tank and cleaned out all of my filter sponges (in the tank water I removed) and added some more salts to the water.

Really, all I want to know is have I taken the correct steps and precautions? Even though the majority of the symptoms seem gone I want to make sure I have done everything correctly. I've to apply another treatment in four days time, will I just do another water change after that treatment too?

The white spots disappear when the encysted parasites are released into the water, only then can they be killed. Unfortunately, by performing the water change, you have reduced the added chemical treatment by half, so I would be inclined to re-dose with half the stated dose, then re-treat as directed on day 4.

Syphoning may rmeove some of the parasites, but they are notoriously difficult to phisically rmove from surfaces. It is important you complete the dose as directed as aquarium treatments tend to be somewhat diluted to prevent overdosing. The trouble is, this can cause pathogens to become resistant... hence the need to complete the treatment. There are several strains of whitespot that now show.strong resistance to traditionally used treatments.

I'll add another half dose and then see how my fish are after the fourth day, as I said it has really cleared up from the fish but I'm just concerned about the parasites for the reasons you've said.

Ick is a real nuisance. I would say turn up the heat, BUT you have cold water fish. Fish from the fish store are laden with illnesses and parasites. My answer to parasites was to purchase a Vortex Diatom Filter! The little swimmers get sucked into the filter and then get sliced and diced by the sharp edges of the diatoms. It costs money yes, but it is worth it. The water comes out "crystal clear" also with a diatom filter.

I had a search on eBay there and can't seem to come across it. I'm not sure about you but I live in the UK so perhaps they're more difficult to find here? I'm happy that my fish seen to have cleared up so I will complete the treatment and continue using salts and making water changes and hope for the best. If I don't get any further I will definitely look more into that filter. Thanks guys for the advice :)

Back
Top Bottom