White spots on aquarium filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmd123x

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,
So, the past week I've been noticing some little white spots on and in the aquarium filter. There are no spots on my fish that I have seen, there are none in the tank either. What do you think it could be? I will try to send a pic. Thanks :)

Attachments

• 1412261389599.jpg
    1412261389599.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 193
  • 1412261406450.jpg
    1412261406450.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 143
  • 1412261422204.jpg
    1412261422204.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 152
Your Tank

Hey guys,
So, the past week I've been noticing some little white spots on and in the aquarium filter. There are no spots on my fish that I have seen, there are none in the tank either. What do you think it could be? I will try to send a pic. Thanks :)

Hello kmd...

This is likely a form of fungus. This can happen if uneaten food falls into places where the fish can't get to it. How well are you maintaining the tank water or the filters? Things happening or growing in the tank that are out of the ordinary are likely water related. Maybe the tank water isn't being kept clean enough.

Could be time for a bit larger water change or a change in the frequency of the changes. Or, closer attention to maintaining the filtration.

B

My current tank setup is a 45 gallon fresh water tank. I use the Penguin Bio Wheel 200. Temp is around 78. Have never had any problems. The tank is crystal clear. I try to change the water before nitrates get high. I have a zebra danio, a pearl danio, a black and Dalmatian molly, 5 baby mollies, 5 neon tetras, a black skirted tetra, 2 platys and a bristlenose catfish. I feed my fish flakes and put cucumber in there for the catfish when I feel he may not have a ton of algae to eat.

Ah good to know. I change the water about once a week. The levels always seem to be good. Should i clean out the filter? I always worry about messing with the beneficial bacteria.

To me it just looks like scale buildup, from evaporating water.

I do have somewhat hard water because when I use a hydrator in my room the white calcium will deposit onto the hydrator.

Your Tank

Ah good to know. I change the water about once a week. The levels always seem to be good. Should i clean out the filter? I always worry about messing with the beneficial bacteria.

Hello again kmd...

Just because the water is clear, doesn't necessarily mean it's free of wastes from the fish and plants. Nitrates can build up very quickly.

There's beneficial bacteria living on all the surfaces inside the tank. That means decorations, plants, bottom material, everything with a surface. You can clean the filter when you change the tank water. I do this weekly when I perform a water change. You have plenty of bacteria in the tank, besides that in the filter media. What's lost during the cleaning process will reproduce within a few hours.

Water left in a cube like our tanks, changes due to constant filtration and a build up of waste products. The more water you change and the more often you change it, the better the environment for the tank inhabitants.

B

Only clean the filter material in tank water not tap water.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

And yes you are right 90% of the bb is in the filter not the substrate or decorative items.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello again kmd...

Just because the water is clear, doesn't necessarily mean it's free of wastes from the fish and plants. Nitrates can build up very quickly.

There's beneficial bacteria living on all the surfaces inside the tank. That means decorations, plants, bottom material, everything with a surface. You can clean the filter when you change the tank water. I do this weekly when I perform a water change. You have plenty of bacteria in the tank, besides that in the filter media. What's lost during the cleaning process will reproduce within a few hours.

Water left in a cube like our tanks, changes due to constant filtration and a build up of waste products. The more water you change and the more often you change it, the better the environment for the tank inhabitants.

B

That's good to know then. Thank you. I gave it all a nice rinse in a bucket of aquarium water.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is it hard and crusty or is it slimy?

It actually was pretty crusty and hard. I am guessing maybe just calcium because there was some hard calcium on the top of my tank on the inside but I gave it a good rinse in some aquarium water just in case.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tank or treated tap water like the kind you put in to refill it - to gently swish the gunk out. If you can fit 2 pads in the filter that is good because you can occasionally give it a little more vigorous cleaning if there are 2 pads with BB. Clean one and then a few months later you can do the other (more vigorous cleaning part ocassionally). Gently swishing when necessary. I always start with the new or cleanest one in the front.

You can clean off the tubes with tap water if you want and use an aquarium or new bottle brush used only for aquarium stuff (no soaps of course).

I don't do the filter pad cleaning the same week as the substrate vac'ing This gives each area a time to regrow BB so you don't loose too much at one time. I also alternate if I clean the glass inside the aquarium one week I won't do the filter pad clean that week or the gravel vac'ing. I like to keep as much BB in there as possible. :flowers:

Tank or treated tap water like the kind you put in to refill it - to gently swish the gunk out. If you can fit 2 pads in the filter that is good because you can occasionally give it a little more vigorous cleaning if there are 2 pads with BB. Clean one and then a few months later you can do the other (more vigorous cleaning part ocassionally). Gently swishing when necessary. I always start with the new or cleanest one in the front.

You can clean off the tubes with tap water if you want and use an aquarium or new bottle brush used only for aquarium stuff (no soaps of course).

I don't do the filter pad cleaning the same week as the substrate vac'ing This gives each area a time to regrow BB so you don't loose too much at one time. I also alternate if I clean the glass inside the aquarium one week I won't do the filter pad clean that week or the gravel vac'ing. I like to keep as much BB in there as possible. :flowers:

Ah great advice. Yeah I used some tank water :) I currently have one filter pad in but may add another one. I bought a pack of them. I usually try to alternate a little bit when cleaning as to not completely destroy the bb. Lol aquariums are an awesome hobby but def lots of work. :) Gotta love it!

Back
Top Bottom