White spots on clown loaches head!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

somethingsfishy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all. I have five clown loaches that range in size from 3.5 to 5 inches. Of those five, two have developed small whites dots on their head. I have only found one picture of what looks similar to my problem. It's really hard to get a picture but I will try. The one picture says that the spots indicate that those are male clowns. I need help from anyone who can. Thanks.

I picture will help a lot but it sounds like ick. Some stores sell ick guard

Could you post a picture :) a picture is worth a thousand words :)

Or in this case, 72 lol

Picture would be handy, but I will do my best.

What have you added lately? Where did you get it from?

If it truly is ich, increase aeration and raise temperature SLOWLY to 86 degrees Fahrenheit. Also make sure to do large water changes every couple days. Some people will chime in though.

The only thing i could do is show a pic of the only thing that looks like my case in point. My loaches will not stay still long enough for me to get a pic. It looks just like this but with a few more spots and just like the pic, only on the head of two.

Attachments

• image-1681072403.jpg
    image-1681072403.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 184
Correct me if I'm wrong, but ich cannot just appear, Can it? The parasite must be introduced into the tank. I have not added fish in months I qted them for a month prior and I only buy from one trusted fish store. All of my fish are acting fine and none have lost appetites or behavior. Even my angels are preparing to spawn again.

somethingsfishy said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but ich cannot just appear, Can it? The parasite must be introduced into the tank. I have not added fish in months I qted them for a month prior and I only buy from one trusted fish store. All of my fish are acting fine and none have lost appetites or behavior. Even my angels are preparing to spawn again.

It can remain dorm it for months. If the fish become stressed or water quality goes bad it will start cycling. The best way to break the cycle is remove all the fish into a quarantine tank for at least 2 months. What you will do is gradually lower the SG and salinity to 1.009 and keep it a bottomless tank with pvc pipes for decor. Not real pretty but you are creating a hospital. Hospitals are sterile.

Ok the more I look the more I freak out. One of my three amano shrimp are red( hoping they do that after molting) and my common pleco looks hairy on the outsides of his fins and tail. Not dots. Hairy?

Attachments

• image-307172786.jpg
    image-307172786.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 140
somethingsfishy said:
I'd have to raise my sg to 1.009. I hope I don't have any salt in this tank.

Lol sorry getting my posts mixed up.

Carry on

I wanna say velvet, but I don't think so. Are you sure it's not ich? Are the bumps raised like salt?

Not raised. If it is raised its not noticible. Does anyone know if amano shrimp develop a reddish hue after molting? I have shrimp that look like their cooking, a hairy pleco and ichy loaches. I'm going to bed. Illmget better pics (hopefully) in the am.

Ok so after much deliberation, I have no choice but to treat it as ich. The dots haven't gotten worse but I can't risk it. In the tank is four angelfish, four glofish, one common Pleco, five clown loaches, three Amano shrimp and one merits snail. I have a bag of aquarium salt and it says to add 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. Also plan to raise the temp slowly to 86. Anything I missed?

somethingsfishy said:
Ok so after much deliberation, I have no choice but to treat it as ich. The dots haven't gotten worse but I can't risk it. In the tank is four angelfish, four glofish, one common Pleco, five clown loaches, three Amano shrimp and one merits snail. I have a bag of aquarium salt and it says to add 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. Also plan to raise the temp slowly to 86. Anything I missed?

Salt is not needed. Just slowly raise the temp to 86, increase aeration and leave it at 86 1 week after the last spot is seen.

Hii I'm new here but I had to deal with ich not too long ago..

Your temp being raised should speed the process up I'm guessing within the next week you wil see the spot disappear which means its in your substrate multiplying (100-1000 torments search for a host an have 2-3 days to do so in a temperature of 74-78) which means within those 3 days you can rest easy knowing there dead because of your temperatures.

Hope this helps!

somethingsfishy said:
Ok so I have the tank around 84 and will push 86-87 tomorrow. When should I see results?

Could be right away, could be a week. Remember to continue to treat it for at least a week after you notice the last spot is gone to ensure that every one is dead.

Back
Top Bottom