white spots on my nemo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gizmo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I just noticed that my new nemo has a white spot near its fin. Is this something i should b worried about? If so what can i do to get rid of the white spot?

Thank you.

Is this a single white spot? How long have you had the fish and when do you recall seeing this spot for the first time?

If its just a single white spot I would not be to worried yet. Please post your water peramiters.

Well she has one white spot just below her fin prob the size of one of her eyes, she also has a little pin prick white spot on the other side of her body.
I just got my fish 2 days ago from the fish store. U see my fish was sick before because my water wasn't rite, i had high levels of ammonia so i gave my fish back to the fish store to look after for about 4 weeks till i got my water right. I've only got a small tank about 30liters its a aqua one tank 126.
I first started noticing the white spot when i got her. So i guess my nemonemo got the white spot during her stay at the fish store.Do you think its white spot disease or fungi? I'm a bit worried. I've asked around other fish store and they seem to give me different opinions. One person even recomend me buying this bottle of garlic they had, they said it will help fight off the infection. But the bottle doesn't say anythinh about that.
I hope you can help me. I got my water tested before i took my nemo home and its fine.

thankyou

May be it is ich that your nemo is developping?
It usually comes from poor water quality, as Fish freek said you should post yur water parameter.

Hi,

how do i measure my water peramiters? Is that measurinh PH level, ammonia etc? I don't think its my water that caused my nemo to get that white spot cause she had the single white spot when i took her home.

thank-you.

gizmo said:
she had the single white spot when i took her home.
That would be one sign not to buy a fish. If they show any appearance of improper health, it's best not to purchase them. Setting up a proper <<quarantine tank>> to introduce all new arrivals is your best bet in ensuring the health of your current and future livestock in the main display tank. Since it has been about 5 days since the clown was purchased, the one spot should have made some progress by now if a parasite problem.

Have you noticed any changes as yet?

Well she has one white spot just below her fin prob the size of one of her eyes
This may also suggest the presence of fugus or lympho instead of ich or the like. The "spot" would not get that large if one of the more common protozoan parasites unless possibley an ulcer from brooklynella.

Cheers
Steve

Hi,

My ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph are all good. no signs of ammonia or nitrite in my water.
Its been 7 days now and the 2 white spots haven't dissapeared. I however noticed another tiny little white dot developing, so in total now she was 3 white dots. I also noticed that below the fin her belly is kinda big (is the belly near the fin?)..mayb she is pregnant? I just purchased Cuprazin (by waterlife) used for treating whitespot & fungus. I haven't used this as yet as i would like to know if this product is good and should i use the product now or wait a while to see if anymore white spots develop? If i use this product and she doesn't have white spot or a fungus will it make it worse for her? the other nemo does not have any white spots. I don't have a quarantine tank should i set one up to cure my nemo that has the white spots? or can i cure her while she is with her partner?
I only have the 2 nemos in my tank nothing else.

Thank-you

Nemo?

I wonder how many clownfish are now named Nemo, or Marlin. Every time I go to a pet store it seems that they aren't referred to as Clownfish any more but as "Nemo's".. Same with "Dory's" and "Bubbles".. etc... :) Not sure its a good thing or a bad thing. Hehe.

Personally, I like names like "Krusty" or "Bozo" for a perc. Hehe.

--Micah

gizmo said:
Its been 7 days now and the 2 white spots haven't dissapeared. I however noticed another tiny little white dot developing, so in total now she was 3 white dots.
Fairly sure this is not ich or the like then. Do the spots appear like fuzzy tufts of cotton or hard and lumpy?

I also noticed that below the fin her belly is kinda big (is the belly near the fin?)..mayb she is pregnant?
Keep very close watch on this as it may be an internal bacterial infection. Does the clown eat well and have you noticed it pooping?

I just purchased Cuprazin (by waterlife) used for treating whitespot & fungus. I haven't used this as yet as i would like to know if this product is good and should i use the product now or wait a while to see if anymore white spots develop? If i use this product and she doesn't have white spot or a fungus will it make it worse for her?
I have personally never seen this product before but from what small bit I could glean it is a copper based med? Could you read the bottle and tell me the active ingredient list? If a fungal and internal bacterial problem, you will need to treat with something that contains nitrofurazone

the other nemo does not have any white spots. I don't have a quarantine tank should i set one up to cure my nemo that has the white spots? or can i cure her while she is with her partner?
I only have the 2 nemos in my tank nothing else
After 7 days, more reason to think it is not protozoan but rather one of the other two I mentioned. Even if the only two fish it is still very important not to treat in the display tank. The meds needed will also destroy you biological filter that keeps your NH3, NO2 and NO3 in check. Any copper based meds will kill all the fauna and prevent future additions of sessile and moblie inverts.

Quarantine tanks need be nothing special and are relatively inexspensive to set up. Read the article <<here>> for some easy to use set up tips.

Cheers
Steve

The white dots are like 3D dots if u know what i mean, they stick out kinda like a cotton ball but very tiny ones. like the size of a full stop " . "
The white dot is not flat on her body.
she has been eating alot and yes she poops as well, big ones.
mayb i'm just being paranoid about her belly being kinda big i'm not sure.
This is what i found out about the product that i just purchased:

Waterlife

CUPRAZIN (Protozoacide/Fungicide) :
For the treatment of Whitespot, Costia and other Fungal infections in seawater aquaria only. Do not use in aquaria containing invertebrates, macro algae, Sharks, Rays, or Harlequin Tuskfish.
Whitespot, Oodinium, Benedenia, Trichodina and fungal infections are amongst the fastest killing organisms and therefore, once recognised should be treated immediately. With this in mind you are advised, when unsure of an ailment's diagnostic background to automatically use CUPRAZIN as directed. CUPRAZIN'S formula is designed to be low stress-inducing, gradually increasing concentration to effective levels. Once this level is achieved addition of the product may be stopped. CUPRAZIN should be used to treat all newly purchased sea fishes except sharks, rays, Harlequin Tuskfish, invertebrates and other related species. In cases where these creatures are present use MYXAZIN or OCTOZIN as an alternative. CUPRAZIN should not be used in those systems which contain any invertebrates. This includes crustaceans.
Suitable for seawater and brackish water aquaria. Cuprazin should be used automatically to treat the protozoan/fungal disease in all-fish show aquaria or fish only quarantine aquaria. Cuprazin is totally harmless to filtration bacteria.

I check on the bottle and it doesn't say any other information couldn't find it it had nitrofurazone.

The meds needed will also destroy you biological filter that keeps your NH3, NO2 and NO3 in check. Any copper based meds will kill all the fauna and prevent future additions of sessile and moblie inverts.

With the information i have given u about the product that i have purchased will this destroy the biological filter? will it be safe for me to use this product in my display tank?
If i set up a quarantine tank doesn't the tank need to have enough bacteria to break down ammonia, nitrite etc if i have a fish in there?

thank - you well much for ur help...i really appreciate it.

nanci[/b][/i]

gizmo said:
The meds needed will also destroy you biological filter that keeps your NH3, NO2 and NO3 in check. Any copper based meds will kill all the fauna and prevent future additions of sessile and moblie inverts.
With the information i have given u about the product that i have purchased will this destroy the biological filter?
Wow, that was some serious typing. Great effort (y) . To be honest, they are not very forthcoming on their product :? so I have sent Waterlife an e-mail to see if they will be a bit more specific. Until then, I would suggest that you be cautious with the Cuprazin as it reads much like a chelated copper med.

will it be safe for me to use this product in my display tank?
I connot be sure but when in doubt, don't take the chance. I would still suggest a QT if treatment becomes neccessary. I have very strong doubts whether this product will do anything for the clowns since they sound like they have a fungus and not ich. No signs of excess boby slime, right?

If i set up a quarantine tank doesn't the tank need to have enough bacteria to break down ammonia, nitrite etc if i have a fish in there?
As shown in the quarantine article, they are relatively easy and cheap to set up. When needed for emergency treatments (which I do not thinks yours is at the moment), filling the QT with water from the main tank ensures water parameters match and then you just need to ensure the temp is stable before the fish are transfered. Using a simple HOB filter or corner sponge filter, you can then take some media from your existing main tanks filter, wether that be bioballs, filter floss, carbon or the like. Just about anything disposable with a hard surface from the main tank will transfer the needed bacteria. The water will not though.

At this point though if fungus, you do not need to treat or QT as yet. I would first suggest a few 10-15% water changes a few times a week to get any amount of DOC down as low as possible and make sure the fish are fed with vitamin fortified foods. Adding Zoe, Selcon or the like to soak the foods in will greatly boost the fishs' immune system allowing them to fight this naturally. Most times if the tank water conditions are as optimal as possible and the fish's diet is properly fortified, lympho and fungus will clear up on it's own.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks so much steve, I'll get some Zoe or Selcon then and try that for the time being. Does garlic also help the immune system? The guy from the fish store recommended garlic.Is fungus contagious to other fish?
by the way what do you mean by "boby slime"?

Thanks for your help:)

Nanci

gizmo said:
Does garlic also help the immune system? The guy from the fish store recommended garlic.
Garlic is a great antioxidant that I think many underestimate. I would not look to it as a sole cure but a great additive that can boost any treatments success. The ingredient allicin will also aid in parasite prevention (again not a cure) and help with bacterial/fungal problems.

Is fungus contagious to other fish?
Yes and no. Once a fish enters the system with fungus (or lympho for that matter), the bacteria that caused the issue will come with it. Most healthy fish can easily resist the onset quite well and are normally not a concern. As I said, water changes and a bolstered diet will often clear things up without the use of a QT or meds unless severe.

by the way what do you mean by "boby slime"?
It means I can't type to save my life.. LOL. I meant to spell Body Slime. Just trying to rule out brooklynella as a possible cause which one of the signs is excess milky slime exuding away from the fishs' body...

Cheers
Steve

hehe ur funny..wasn't gona ask ya what boby slime was...didn't want u to think i was that clueless about fish! hehe Thanks steve i'll give that a go with what u recomended.
U know the white spot has actually gone smaller...so hopefully things are lookin good.

:0)

Nanci

gizmo said:
U know the white spot has actually gone smaller...so hopefully things are lookin good.
Great news!! Keep tabs on the fish and ensure nothing else arises and they should be fine.

FYI, Waterlife replied to my e-mail confirming the Cuprazin is a copper med. Make sure if you ever have need to use it in future, never use it in the display tank... only a QT.

Cheers
Steve

Im about to get my first fish Nemos, but ive been testing the water like a madwoman as they are my first marines and i dont want any fish till im sure the water is right. I will be cautious and look for blemishes though, also i am using a 30 litre tank. No problems so far 3 days till i put my fish in, i cant wait.

melissfish said:
Im about to get my first fish Nemos, but ive been testing the water like a madwoman as they are my first marines and i dont want any fish till im sure the water is right. I will be cautious and look for blemishes though,
Best way to ensure the fish will not be an issue for parasites or disease is to acclimate them to a proper quarantine tank for about 4 weeks before placing them in their permanent home. This will ensure you do not end up treating the main tank with something that could adversley affect the smooth operation of a healthy set up. Wild caught percs are especially prone to brooklynella hostillis. I realise their new home is on the smaller side but every effort to ensure success goes a long way.

also i am using a 30 litre tank. No problems so far 3 days till i put my fish in, i cant wait.
If a UK litre measurement (/4.5), I would only opt for one fish in that size tank as it will be too cramped for 2 percs to live comfortabley. Also be wary on using timelines to guage when additions can be made. As you've stated, you have done alot of testing so rather let those results be your guide to when the tank is ready. NH3 and NO2 should be zero and in a smaller volume, the lower the nitrates the better. Any additions of fish are sure to spike the numbers somewhat.

Cheers
Steve

Guess what guys? my nemo is fine! her spots are totally gone! yipee! i'm soo happy. Its funny because my nemos sleep s next to the power head of the water filter! they are soo cute! thanks for everything !!!! :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom