White spots on Orange spotted sunfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Humongous

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I recently had an ich outbreak in my community tank. I decided to treat with Super Ich Cure API since it worked for me in the past. Everyone in the tank seems fine except my sunfish has never lost the big white spots on him. I am still fairly new to the fish world so I snapped a picture in case it could be something else. Maybe fungus? He seems to act pretty normal but I currently have the heat adjusted up to 88 to continue towards treating the ich. Other fish in the tank are 5 white skirt tetras and 5 glo tetras and 1 bristlenose pleco. readings are
8.2ph
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
and unfortunately my nitrate test bottle isnt working no matter how hard I beat the bottle. This tank has been up and running for 3 months and planted done with a fish in cycle.
his skin seems cloudy to me.

Attachments

• 20151111_185639.jpg
    20151111_185639.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 20151112_095034.jpg
    20151112_095034.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 20151112_102114.jpg
    20151112_102114.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 20151112_102739.jpg
    20151112_102739.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 51
I don't see a pic but fungus tends to look like a white fuzz, unlike the spots of ich.

Furan-2 will treat for fungus pretty easily.

Caleb

Furan-2 doesnt say anything about fungus. Would api fungus cure work too? Pet store doesnt carry furan-2

Fungus guard has furan 2 in it, but it will stain your tank /decor green, straight furan 2 is like putting a bomb in your tank as its strong, but that's what you want something to kick it fast, the fungus guard has it in as well as potassium and something else, 1 fizzy tab per 10 gallons, i would or pre dissolve them in a container of water, take out actvated carbon if you have any in the filter also do a PWC like 25% before you medicate, what size tank? And i would slowly lower the water temp 88 is high and with it being that warm make sure you have alot of aeration

Sent from my SM-G920P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fungus guard has furan 2 in it, but it will stain your tank /decor green, straight furan 2 is like putting a bomb in your tank as its strong, but that's what you want something to kick it fast, the fungus guard has it in as well as potassium and something else, 1 fizzy tab per 10 gallons, i would or pre dissolve them in a container of water, take out actvated carbon if you have any in the filter also do a PWC like 25% before you medicate, what size tank? And i would slowly lower the water temp 88 is high and with it being that warm make sure you have alot of aeration

I ended up using the jungle fungus clear as I think it had the same ingredients and was half the price. I didn't pre-dissolve them but I did a water change prior and so far the white spots on the sunfish have gone. I still see a white hue around him but less prominent. Also it should be noted he has been much more active almost immediately and even more so 24 hours later. The tank is a 20gal long I have since reduced the temp to 86 and plan on bringing it down to the normal 78 I had it at slowly but surely since I don't think ich is an issue. I will try to get an updated picture of him in the morning. Maybe should be noted the other fish in the tank are acting completely normal and the sunfish acting more normal with them.

Jungle fungus/ fungus guard is the same med, Good stuff man, in the future the temperature for treating ich if you're not using meds is like 86, 88 isn't too bad but some fish cannot handle that temperature, and you want to do a thorough gravel vac to suck up the cocoons/parasites that fall of the fish , ich is very easy to tell the difference between other diseases as it looks like your fish was sprinkled with salt or sugar, if you don't have plants or scale less/salt sensitive fish you can help the process with salt 1 teaspoon per 4 qts/1 us gallon of water, glad the fungus guard/jungle is working. And with temps that high if you have air stones crank them up, if you have plants during your night cycle turn on the air stone as plants use oxygen in the dark and take away from the fish, i have my stone's on constantly until i get my powerhead. Just be careful some fish don't /can't handle strong currents

Back
Top Bottom