white spots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosslady

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had a problem with ich. I lost all my fish. I let my tank fallow for 6 weeks. I put a naso tang in about a week ago. He had been in QT with copper for 3 weeks straight from the LFS. I didn't want to take any chances. I also purchased a uv sterilzer which has been on the tank for 2 weeks. The fish seems very happy in his new home. Eating very well. frozen brime, and worms also algae on a clip after soaked in garlic. To night I noticed a couple of white spots on him. They are tiny tiny. NOT cotton looking. He is swimming well. I am soooooooooooo afraid of ich now that I might be seeing something that isn't out of the orinary. Is it possible for this to be part of his body? He is very young.

I don't want to overlook anything, I might just be parinoid.

IMO after a copper treatment you should leave him in qt for a couple more weeks to make sure it doesn't come back.
6 weeks fallow should be good for the main though.
It may be debris, keep an eye on it. As i'm sure you know, tangs are ich magnets.
I know the feeling, after a bout with velvet earlier in the year, I am on the paranoid side too.

The fish never had ich. I just put the copper safe in the QT tank as a precaution while he was in there. That's why I can't see this being ich.

We will see what happens. I have a clown that I just purchased in QT now. He looks fine, but I am going to leave him there for another week.

bosslady said:
The fish never had ich. I just put the copper safe in the QT tank as a precaution while he was in there. That's why I can't see this being ich.
If done as a prevenatative measure, I hope you still monitored the levels of copper to be sure they where at the right dosage to be effective. If not, there is a chance the problem (if present) was simpley supressed. Three weeks at the proper dosage should have eliminated any problems but I do agree with Quarry, the tang should have remained for a few more weeks after the med was removed to be sure.

We will see what happens. I have a clown that I just purchased in QT now. He looks fine, but I am going to leave him there for another week.
The clown should stay in the QT for a full 4 weeks. I would also not suggest using copper this time around. They are just as prone to other protazoan parasites that copper will not treat especially if WC.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom