Whiteish/tanish spot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swimmingfins

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! I have a 1.5 gallon with 3 Zebra dainios. 4 days ago I noticed one of them had a tanish looking spot high on his right side directly behind his eye. He was hanging out towards the bottom of the tank and not eating much and other then keeping upright, was not moving at all. Last night I went to the store and bought Jungle's Lifeguard all in one treatment, broke a 5 gallon dose in half and dropped it in. Within 45 minutes he was moving much more, even trying to chase the others a little. He did however appear to get winded easily. Today, he is moving a bit more and hanging out in a few different spots around the tank but still appears winded after a lot of moving. I assume he is responding positively to the treatment and is recovering.

My question is, the other 2 fish don't have any of these symptoms and I don't know what to do with them. I bought a 5 gallon last night and it has run over night with some chemicals in it. I don't want to move the 2 fish for fear of infecting my other tank with god only knows what, but I don't want to expose them to what is attacking my one fish, or the medicine that I am using. What should I do?

Hi!
Please read this.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html
What are the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the tank?
How long have you had it?
How often and how much water do you change?
Unfortunately the 1.5 and the 5g are both too small for your danios. IMO they need a 15-20g long tank minimum. They are very active little fish and need room to swim.
can you post some pictures of the infected fish?
Is it fuzzy, raised and white?
Sunken, red or like a hole/gash?

Thank you for the article!

I don't know what my chemical levels are.

I change my water twice a week and do about 80%

My 1.5 was a practice, and my RD wont let me have a tank larger then a 5 gallons in the dorm.

My camera is refracting off the water in the tank, can I net him out and lay him on something without hurting him?

Whatever it is it is tan or whiteish and is located high on the right side of the fish directly behind the eye. Ii sort of reminds me of fuzz leading me to believe it to be some sort of fungus but cant get a good look at it myself because it is so small. He is getting more and more active though with each treatment. I put a small piece of a pill in around an hour ago and there are noticable changes in his energy levels.

Last edited:
swimmingfins said:
Thank you for the article!

I don't know what my chemical levels are.

I change my water twice a week and do about 80%

My 1.5 was a practice, and my RD wont let me have a tank larger then a 5 gallons in the dorm.

My camera is refracting off the water in the tank, can I net him out and lay him on something without hurting him?

Whatever it is it is tan or whiteish and is located high on the right side of the fish directly behind the eye. Ii sort of reminds me of fuzz leading me to believe it to be some sort of fungus but cant get a good look at it myself because it is so small. He is getting more and more active though with each treatment. I put a small piece of a pill in around an hour ago and there are noticable changes in his energy levels.

Large water changes are good! Well done :)
No need to remove him from the tank IMO. If you are seeing a noticeable difference when treating keep it up according to the directions. I'd advise getting a liquid test kit (such as the API master test kit) to keep an eye on the water conditions. Medications can need with a tanks cycle causing spikes in toxins.

Large water changes are good! Well done :)
No need to remove him from the tank IMO. If you are seeing a noticeable difference when treating keep it up according to the directions. I'd advise getting a liquid test kit (such as the API master test kit) to keep an eye on the water conditions. Medications can need with a tanks cycle causing spikes in toxins.

Thankyou! What should I do about my other fish with him? they arent showing signs, should I put them in the new tank? or medicate them all just in case?

He didn't make it : ( I woke up today to him completely lifeless in a small cloud of blood. Apparently the fungus or w/e was gone, but it left a massive wound which I guess bled out overnight. Sorry for having to give you the bad news but I am so thankful for helping me prolong it for a little while.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom