who has the ugliest fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oscars are sort of ugly, but very loveable. Wolf fish are really ugly. Pacus are kind of ugly.

The rock fish would have to be one of the ugliest fish I've ever seen.
You see them when you dive on the Great Barrier Reef.

Esra said:
The rock fish would have to be one of the ugliest fish I've ever seen.
You see them when you dive on the Great Barrier Reef.

yeah those are UGLY.

rockfish2.jpg

majority of people think bubble-eye goldfish are ugly.
I beg to differ !!

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM !!!
img_738077_0_0e005687c875cefc0ceeb9fe1e747420.jpg

img_738077_1_db72339dc67c09a18cdb2de753757fd5.jpg

I googled rockfish. Not so bad; actually pretty cool looking, maybe I was looking at the wrong kind... THESE, are ugly:
bioseaanglersjk9.jpg

PS - Bubble boy those fish!! Hah, pardon me but IMO they are sort of revolting. Not even because of the egg-sac-like-eye-portrusions, but because of what could happen if they pop! Aren't you scared of them popping?

jbarr said:
Oscars are sort of ugly, but very loveable. .

i can see why some would think oscars are ugly (i personally think they are very colorful - especially the albino and tiger)
But like you said, their personality overshadows any negativity.

PS - Bubble boy those fish!! Hah, pardon me but IMO they are sort of revolting. Not even because of the egg-sac-like-eye-portrusions, but because of what could happen if they pop! Aren't you scared of them popping?

i'm an expert at keeping bubble-eye goldfish (hence my name)
I have been keeping and breeding show-quality bubble-eyes for over 5years.

You have to follow a few simple rules.
1) No sharp objects - this includes rocks, ornaments, some plants

2) If using power filters - cover ALL filter intakes with sponges.
Or altenatively, get a sponge filter.

3) Recommend a Barebottom tank - makes it easier for them to find food - or alternatively get pebbles or sand.
No sharp gravel

4) No nippy fish (this includes fast goldfish).
Recommended tank mates include Slow moving goldfish e.g. celestial, telescope varities.

In all honesty, the bubbles are actually tougher than u think.
But just follow these rules and u should be fine.

btw bubble boy, are bubble goldfish natural? ive always wondered, they cant be, right?

what happens if they pop?

yeah those are some ugly fish, except the goldfish, I do like those guys, I think the ugliest fish would have to be the blob fish for saltwater and the oscar as the freshwater

hc8719 said:
btw bubble boy, are bubble goldfish natural? ive always wondered, they cant be, right?

what happens if they pop?
actually bubble-eye goldfish have been around for over 100 years.

Back in the 19th century, chinese aquarists used to keep goldfish in ponds.
Because of this, they were unable to enjoy their fish (looking at them, see their face).

So, bubble-eyes were developed and selectively bred to produce the trademark "sacs" you see today. This way, aquarists could enjoy their goldfish in ponds when looking from above (like giant eyes)

If they burst, the sacs WILL grow back (in perfectly cycled-water and stress-free environment ofcourse).
To heal them quickly, you can also add salt or melafix (but not necessary).
It actually takes a HUGE force to burst them - again, they are tougher than you think.
Poor water quality is actually the biggest factor for the bubble popping.

One more thing - if the bubble does pop - it usually doesnt grow back to the same size/shape as the original.

i feel sorry for those poor goldfish. having to swim around with a sac under your eyes like that - it can't be comfortable. i feel the same about dogs and cats with squashed faces, any animal that has been bred because we think it's cute or funny. i don't like it at all.

I would have to say that my Dojo loach is the ugliest fish I own. I would never buy one, but mine came from the brother when he was moving.

Back
Top Bottom