Why does everyone ask about nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know to high of nitrates can be detrimental to fish but everytime i tell people my nitrates (<5 like 1-2) on forums everyone is like your tank isn't established... It's a 4 year old tank it was established the first year i got it, low nitrates are common when you have plants as that's their food.. I don't get it maybe some info so i can comprehend the worry about low Nitrate.

Most of the time low to no nitrates is a sign that the tank isn't cycled. I'm sure if you said the tank has been established for 4 years the question wouldn't be asked.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Even after I've told them its been set up for 4 years and established they still say 1-2 is to low and i should be around 10.

Even after I've told them its been set up for 4 years and established they still say 1-2 is to low and i should be around 10.

That's because optimally you want around 10 nitrates in a planted tank. Without this you can have a nitrate deficiency. I'm actually experiencing this myself right now and having to dose nitrates for my plants.

Caleb

I've always thought only an established tank has nitrates, prior to being established it would only have ammonia, isn't that how the cycle works?? Nh3/nh4 -> no2 -> no3??

I don't have tons of plants, just a fern and a plant that sprawls across the bottom forgot the name, it's not heavily planted, so you're suffering from Nitrate deficiency which only affects your plants not your fish correct? Unless the plants are dying and decaying in the tank which would raise ammonia.

I don't have tons of plants, just a fern and a plant that sprawls across the bottom forgot the name, it's not heavily planted, so you're suffering from Nitrate deficiency which only affects your plants not your fish correct? Unless the plants are dying and decaying in the tank which would raise ammonia.

Yes a nitrate deficiency only affects plants. Some plants are nitrate sponges and will soak up a lot fast.

Caleb

I've always thought only an established tank has nitrates, prior to being established it would only have ammonia, isn't that how the cycle works?? Nh3/nh4 -> no2 -> no3??

You are correct but plants utilize these and in some planted tanks there can be so many plants it causes a deficiency in them.

Caleb

This is the plant i can't remember the name if there's 2 well i had 1 but it was too cluttered so i cut it in 2

Sent from my SM-G920P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1446322430286.jpg
    1446322430286.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 88
Nitrates are the end result of the nitrogen cycle. They are produced not magically deposited be the nitrate fairy. A lightly stocked tank shouldn't have more than 10 ppm. What size tank? What's in it? Plants will use nitrates as fertilizers, nothing astronomical but it can explain away a few missing ppm. I've heard certain biomedia can gas off nitrates as well, a cannister full of seachem matrix?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

55 gallon, 27 fish, i use bio Chem sorb in my aqua clear 110, tank temp 80, i have 2 plants that i turned into 4 a fern and the one in the picture

Its buried under the gravel, with sprouts growing all over the top

Do i want it buried or on top?

Here's my light i was told is not optimal for plants but the fern and the Anubias look fine

Attachments

• 1446324350453.jpg
    1446324350453.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 59
Alright I'll go raise it out ty.

What do you test with?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here's my light i was told is not optimal for plants but the fern and the Anubias look fine

The plants you have are pretty simple. That light should be fine. Anubias is very very hardy even in light much lower than yours.

Caleb

Api master test kit, i think i might be a little color blind when it comes to yellow shades unless its really light yellow it might be 3 but i know is not 5

Back
Top Bottom