Why is my sand in my 10gallon tank so dirty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are several "dwarf" species, although the south American species tend to be a lot more peaceful. Kribensis can be very aggressive at times (which are Africans)...some of the south Americans include keyholes, rams (German blue, Bolivian, etc. mircophageus sp. might be spelled wrong though), and apistogramma species. All in all, NO cichlids can live, at an adult size, in a 10 gallon, especially not a breeding harem, that just screams stressed to death! Each of the species listed above require AT THE MINIMUM 20 gallons per individual

I'm from uk so our gallons are different but the 10 gal tanks I just worked out to be 15 us gallons. Sorry.

In response to do cichlids like live plants you need to research online. As most Malawi, Victorian and tanganyika cichlids will eat or dig up plants. I think south American and central American cichlids prefer plants but I don't use plants so can't answer from experience. I tend to use fake plants if at all I use them.

I would look into dwarfs if I was you as I think this will open more doors for you to have a nice looking tank.

If you want your fish to breed to need to think about how you will grow the fry on, for example I have 8 2ft tanks for fry, and 2 4ft tanks to grow them on. This ensures that I can do 10% daily water changes for the first few months easy. And then they have space to grow properly in the later stages. I keep mbuna so dwarfs will require less space than these.

I also have a few other cichlids
Firemouths
Nicaragua cichlids
Blue acara.

Ukdans1k said:
I'm from uk so our gallons are different but the 10 gal tanks I just worked out to be 15 us gallons. Sorry.

In response to do cichlids like live plants you need to research online. As most Malawi, Victorian and tanganyika cichlids will eat or dig up plants. I think south American and central American cichlids prefer plants but I don't use plants so can't answer from experience. I tend to use fake plants if at all I use them.

I would look into dwarfs if I was you as I think this will open more doors for you to have a nice looking tank.

If you want your fish to breed to need to think about how you will grow the fry on, for example I have 8 2ft tanks for fry, and 2 4ft tanks to grow them on. This ensures that I can do 10% daily water changes for the first few months easy. And then they have space to grow properly in the later stages. I keep mbuna so dwarfs will require less space than these.

I also have a few other cichlids
Firemouths
Nicaragua cichlids
Blue acara.

I think I'm going to go with guppies. Do you know if this is a good size tank for the female?

Attachments

• image-1345692532.jpg
    image-1345692532.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 90
I see that, but its going to crack and break if it isn't submerged all the way. It will stop working and if it cracks enough for water to get in, it could leak electrical current into the water, which is obviously not good at all.

paytertot said:
I see that, but its going to crack and break if it isn't submerged all the way. It will stop working and if it cracks enough for water to get in, it could leak electrical current into the water, which is obviously not good at all.

The guy that I bought it from said that it won't crack the third circle

Attachments

• image-1430111911.jpg
    image-1430111911.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 69
Trust me I have the same heater bro. It has a minimum water line for a reason. What about the third circle now? I can't see the pic in detail because I have a broken phone screen.

A submersible heater must be submersed.
Also, @ person whp said NO cichlids in a 10
Incorrect.
A breeding pair of rams is fine in a 10
Along with a few other species of dwarf cichlids.

I still wouldn't do it, just because they can, doesn't mean they should...and a small tank will promote aggression even in fairly peaceful species, my German rams still chase each other and nip at each other occasionally and they're in a 39 gallon and both female...

Freakgecko91 said:
I still wouldn't do it, just because they can, doesn't mean they should...and a small tank will promote aggression even in fairly peaceful species, my German rams still chase each other and nip at each other occasionally and they're in a 39 gallon and both female...

And sure, if you have say 8 rams i can see that, but a breeding pair in a 10 is fine, ive done it before, and the rams never showed any aggression. Breaking the line of sight helps

I guess it depends more on the individual species at hand and the individuals of said species, because obviously every single individual is going to have it's own personality haha i'm sure some apistogramma agassizi or cacatuoides would do fine in a 10 gallon. Kribensis I don't think would though

I really have to agree I am sorry for beating a dead horse but I would only do guppies and platies in the tank the pleco alone will produce so much ammonia it's unfit for a 10 gallon but since rehoming is in the future we will leave that alone

Now those cichlids will get quite big set aside the labs and will eat your guppies that's what I feed my cichlids is guppies along with NLS but the will also produce alot of waste and ammonia and as they get bigger will fight to the death for tank space guarteed and even 30 gallons is not enough for them I say at least 55 sorry with no gupps or platies

I am sorry I am just stating what I have learned in the years of the hobby breeding rams and cichlids of all kinds and livebearers too but a monkey could do that lol anyway you got a couple options

1 ditch the cichlids and pleco and get a few more guppies and platies

2 ditch the gupps and and pleco and get a 55 gallon tank fast or you will lose all your fish to ammonia poisening

If its a common pleco they are huge and messy and make more waste then they will clean and should not be sold for home aquaria IMO

Once again sorry for the rant but I am just trying to inform you of problems but it's your tank and you will decide what's best

GOOD LUCK!!!!

ryan-peddle said:
I really have to agree I am sorry for beating a dead horse but I would only do guppies and platies in the tank the pleco alone will produce so much ammonia it's unfit for a 10 gallon but since rehoming is in the future we will leave that alone

Now those cichlids will get quite big set aside the labs and will eat your guppies that's what I feed my cichlids is guppies along with NLS but the will also produce alot of waste and ammonia and as they get bigger will fight to the death for tank space guarteed and even 30 gallons is not enough for them I say at least 55 sorry with no gupps or platies

I am sorry I am just stating what I have learned in the years of the hobby breeding rams and cichlids of all kinds and livebearers too but a monkey could do that lol anyway you got a couple options

1 ditch the cichlids and pleco and get a few more guppies and platies

2 ditch the gupps and and pleco and get a 55 gallon tank fast or you will lose all your fish to ammonia poisening

If its a common pleco they are huge and messy and make more waste then they will clean and should not be sold for home aquaria IMO

Once again sorry for the rant but I am just trying to inform you of problems but it's your tank and you will decide what's best

GOOD LUCK!!!!

+10000 agree lol

I might be a little late, but your tank actually looks great in my opinion. We set up our tank last thursday, a week ago, and the sand is just now beginning to clear up. Thats with 2 filters running and constantly cleaning the filters lol. Yours does look pretty good, im suprised. How did you get it to settle so fast?

Ps, love spongebob <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom