Wigglers 2: Birth of a hatchery & everything Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, the 3 spawns all hatched today. I can definitely see how the scarce feeding while I was away effected the hatch ratios. But some is better than none. ;)
The "dust" fry turned into 3 swimmers today. Not going to try saving them. Would rather encourage the pair to spawn again and let me save the spawn.
All in a day's work. ;)

Went in this morning to find another pair slate cleaning. "Just another day at the office." ;) lol (y)

Sounds like if you stop having any vacations you will have Angelfish baby making machine going there!!! It seems you better get more tanks ready!

And I just need to make the time for 1 auto water out and fill system!

It is already a machine. It's alive, it's alive.....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sounds like if you stop having any vacations you will have Angelfish baby making machine going there!!! It seems you better get more tanks ready!

And I just need to make the time for 1 auto water out and fill system!
Sadly, with the amount of rejects per spawn I am now getting, I NEED a lot of fish to have some good ones to sell. As for changing water, with the new drip system in the grow out row and the future sale row, water changes for close to 40 tanks only takes me about 2 hours when i am slow about it. Certainly you can manage a single water change in a small amount of time even without it being automatic. ;)

It is already a machine. It's alive, it's alive.....

It certainly is a machine. :D You know things are going good when you can almost predict the outcome. Unfortunately, before i went away, I emptied most of the 10 gals but didn't clean them. Now, I need them for spawns but tomorrow is water change day so I figured it could wait. I was WRONG!!!! :banghead::facepalm: How often do you hear a breeder say " Oh CRAP!!!!" when they have a pair spawning? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::blink: That's fish breeding for ya. :brows::lol:

Finally have a new batch of fry ( 3 tanks worth) to crank up the ol' brine shrimp hatching machine :D Of the last 5 spawns, 2 did not hatch out at all. ??? Now, My newest pair of barred Marbles laid, I left the eggs in the tank because I didn't have a clean tank to put them in,the eggs hatched and yesterday the female beat the crap out of the male. I can only assume this because the fry were there, the fungused eggs were gone and the male's eyes were clouded over, his mouth partially worn, one pec fin was shredded and the female is 100% not effected. Da*n fish :S Thankfully I have backups but this was a nice veiltail. Double :s :s
Tomorrow is tank cleaning day for sure. (y)

The old domestic violence routine, eh? Poor guy. Hopefully he'll recover ok. I'm doing half my tank cleaning duties as we speak. Just takin a break. Have fun with yours tomorrow.

Andy I had a pair of rams that laid eggs and when the babies became free swimmers the female had the male in the corner of the tank just beating the crap out if him. I assumed she did this because he either ate a couple babies or he was not doing ng his job helping take care of the babies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Andy I had a pair of rams that laid eggs and when the babies became free swimmers the female had the male in the corner of the tank just beating the crap out if him. I assumed she did this because he either ate a couple babies or he was not doing ng his job helping take care of the babies.

Welcome to the world of breeding Cichlids :facepalm: :lol: I've had this happen before but this time, both eyes were really screwed up. Hopefully the meds will keep them from getting infected and falling out. You may recall my Silver female beat the snot out of the Black male when I took their first spawn. Since then, they've been fine with me doing it. It's always a crap shoot. Sadly, now the wigglers have disappeared which means she most likely ate them herself as I can't find them anywhere. I'll be changing water on them today so it's their last chance to be seen and saved.

It's always a wonderful thing to see nature at her finest ( breeding and caring for the young) but it has the ability of being a very violent act. This is why I always say" If you want your fish to stay in the beautiful shape they are in, DON'T breed them! " ;)

The old domestic violence routine, eh? Poor guy. Hopefully he'll recover ok. I'm doing half my tank cleaning duties as we speak. Just takin a break. Have fun with yours tomorrow.

Thankfully, with the grow out row on the overflow system, I only need to siphon any piles of detritus which takes less than a few minutes per tank. (y) It's the breeder row that takes the longest but they are "the money" so you take your time there. ;);):lol:

Hey Andy, I have a question for you.

Out of my five Angels, two of them have rounded fins, and three have pointed fins. Is it normal for them to have different shaped fins? It doesn't really bother me, but I was just curious.

Fishobsessed7

3 tanks and counting! (6 if you count the bettas)

Hey Andy, I have a question for you.

Out of my five Angels, two of them have rounded fins, and three have pointed fins. Is it normal for them to have different shaped fins? It doesn't really bother me, but I was just curious.

Fishobsessed7

if these were wild fish, it would mean something but with all the hybrids these days, it could have some veiltail or double wide dorsal genes so nothing to be concerned about. Just keep an eye on the other fish and make sure they aren't picking on the rounders making them round. ;)

if these were wild fish, it would mean something but with all the hybrids these days, it could have some veiltail or double wide dorsal genes so nothing to be concerned about. Just keep an eye on the other fish and make sure they aren't picking on the rounders making them round. ;)

Ok thanks! Will do!

Fishobsessed7

as of today, I now have 3 more tanks of free swimmers and 2 tanks of eggs. :D
It looks like I may have saved at least one eye from the abused male. It seems to be clearing up and today he was eating. I'm not sure about the other one tho. Still has a thick white film/ scratch on it and it's in the middle of the eyeball. I've done some vision tests on him and to date, I'm not real encouraged. But time will tell. Thankfully, he only needs one eye to see where to fertilize the eggs ;) (y)

Just a quick update: Mr 1 eye seems to be improving. He's eating better and can definitely see out of the one eye but the other one still has a white spot in the middle of the lens so his aim is still off. He's now eating flakes from the surface as well a worms from the bottom so he can find food if need be. I haven't decided if I want to chance putting him back in with the female or let another larger male have at her and put him in with another sister? Thankfully, I don't need to worry about it just yet ;)
The fry from the red cap are doing well as are the other 2 spawns from the same day. One of the 2 new spawns was a dud while the other hatched out today at about 90%-95% of the spawn so I am encouraged.
I'm seeing a lot of runts in the 1/2 Black- Zebra Lace spawns which is a little disheartening and only 6 of the 1/2 black pair's fry survived my last trip so I really need them to spawn again to get more stock. It's going to be a year before I can breed any of these siblings to each other so I want as many as I can get to have more chances.

Due to some nagging injuries, I haven't been able to get the rest of the last rack built and plumbed and there still needs to be 8 more tanks installed on the middle rack. This getting old crap SUCKS!!!!! I don;t recommend it at all!!! :ROFLMAO:

Just a quick update: Mr 1 eye seems to be improving. He's eating better and can definitely see out of the one eye but the other one still has a white spot in the middle of the lens so his aim is still off. He's now eating flakes from the surface as well a worms from the bottom so he can find food if need be. I haven't decided if I want to chance putting him back in with the female or let another larger male have at her and put him in with another sister? Thankfully, I don't need to worry about it just yet ;)
The fry from the red cap are doing well as are the other 2 spawns from the same day. One of the 2 new spawns was a dud while the other hatched out today at about 90%-95% of the spawn so I am encouraged.
I'm seeing a lot of runts in the 1/2 Black- Zebra Lace spawns which is a little disheartening and only 6 of the 1/2 black pair's fry survived my last trip so I really need them to spawn again to get more stock. It's going to be a year before I can breed any of these siblings to each other so I want as many as I can get to have more chances.

Due to some nagging injuries, I haven't been able to get the rest of the last rack built and plumbed and there still needs to be 8 more tanks installed on the middle rack. This getting old crap SUCKS!!!!! I don;t recommend it at all!!! :ROFLMAO:

Good luck with the spawns Andy☺. Yes I agree, getting old really does SUCK ��. Can't do the things you used to do and if you can it takes you a lot longer to do them ��.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck with the spawns Andy☺. Yes I agree, getting old really does SUCKS ?. Can't do the things you used to do and if you can it takes you a lot longer to do them ?.

Well, it might slow me down but it won't stop me. :brows::lol::lol: (y)

I'll catch up some day. I'm already planning my pully system for water changes and feedings. The day will come. Lol

Well right now I'd love to be a little older so I could get more tanks and spend more money but give me a year and I will be able too. Love your work Andy, I'm learning a fair bit from just reading along with each post.

Back
Top Bottom