Wigglers 2: Birth of a hatchery & everything Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I meant that thread, I doubt it dates from 1964; if it did it would be in all upper case. :D

Regardless, good luck.

I got cha ;) That thread, however, was not mine to begin with. I just chimed in...A LOT!!!! :lol: But my first Angelfish wigglers really was back in 1964. (y)

Andy, Florida needs more dwarf cichlids! A couple 20 longs and you're making babies baby!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

20 longs you say? I just picked up about 40 or 50 of them. :whistle: Now all I need is to find room for them. :facepalm: :lol:

Thanks for the suggestion (y)

Well don;t be too disappointed but shipping will not be high on my priority list at first. Guess you'll have to make a trip down when I have some good reliable stock. ;) My neighbor has a pet shop customer in VA that comes down to get the store's fish. So what's a few extra miles for you? get on I-95 and head South (y)

Being that we are in Florida, and I love the Miami Hurricanes but not the ones that form out of Africa. What backup plan do you have in case of a power outages for a few hours to a few weeks. When Andrew came through we went through 2.5 weeks without power.

Being that we are in Florida, and I love the Miami Hurricanes but not the ones that form out of Africa. What backup plan do you have in case of a power outages for a few hours to a few weeks. When Andrew came through we went through 2.5 weeks without power.

My neighbor has generators :dance: and I have long extension cords :whistle: :brows: :lol:
If all else fails, I have my neighbors ponds that they all can go in. Hopefully it won't be an issue. (y)

Notice my new avatar? I figured since I am in this with the Angels, I should post one of my fav Angels I have now instead of my fav Betta who is no longer with us. :(

:D (y)

Notice my new avatar? I figured since I am in this with the Angels, I should post one of my fav Angels I have now instead of my fav Betta who is no longer with us. :(

:D (y)

Dying to see the latest updates! if you have a youtube channel for it please send me the link! :brows:

They would be even more amazing after you got to them! Anyway, very popular! So keep that in mind. Probably more tough than what is available now!!!!!!! ;)

The first Rams I bred were wild ones. They are a far cry from what is available today in size and color so I wonder just how much in demand they would be. If everyone is so disappointed with today's rams, why do they keep buying them? :confused:

The first Rams I bred were wild ones. They are a far cry from what is available today in size and color so I wonder just how much in demand they would be. If everyone is so disappointed with today's rams, why do they keep buying them? :confused:

:/ So pretty. Now I have to look at a wild pic of one.

I can not stress enough the importance of really understanding this fish's behavior. Here's why:
There was supposed to be 3 extra males that I brought back from my buddy when I got the 3 pairs. So these 3 have been together in the 30 gal tank where the blushing Angels were and spawned. When the blushings started to show signs of wanting to spawn, I put in an egg crate divider in the tank so that the pair was on one side and the 3 males were on the other. After the spawn, I moved the blushing pair into their own tank so I could remove the divider and give the males some more space. Before I removed the divider however, I noticed that the Black Angel was pushing the larger 1/2 Black but wasn't pushing the Zebra. So I gave it another day and just watched. I would see the Black chase the 1/2 black who would in turn chase the Zebra. Pretty hierarchy type move, Right? WRONG! Why? The Black wasn't doing anything to the Zebra. In a hierarchy situation, the dominant fish lets all the other fish know who's boss. So I moved the 1/2 Black to the other side of the divider. I did a water test and saw that the nitrites had risen so I did a small water change, added some extra PRIME and added some sponge filter material from one of my more established tanks. This was 2 days ago. Yesterday, I saw just a hint of a tube on the Zebra and thought " I was pretty sure that Zebra was a female when I got it but my friend insisted it was a male." I also watched the 2 fish stare a lot at the white PVC pipe that is part of my DIY sponge filter. Putting all the info together, I decided to put a piece of rock in the tank for them to spawn on JUST IN CASE this was a pair. This morning, I noticed a little more tube and thought" I would put cash money on a bet that that Zebra was a female." So I fed all the fish and went about my business. This afternoon when I went into the building, this was what I found.

Attachments

• Zebra Lace spawn.jpg
    Zebra Lace spawn.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 176
This is why it is so important to just step back and watch your fish. Watch their behaviors. What they do says so much.
(FYI: I did a full scan of that tank with these results: Ammonia- 0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate- barely noticeable, PH- 8.2 Seeding works!!!! ;) )

That is interesting. I had moved my pair with their eggs, and then saw two fish watching each other through the glass, one from the setup breeding tank and the other in the 72G where they had come from. It really seemed like she missed him. But then the other pair spawned due to the break in harassment from the breeding tank female. It seemed like the female wanted to be involved with both males. Is that a normal thing for Angels?

That is interesting. I had moved my pair with their eggs, and then saw two fish watching each other through the glass, one from the setup breeding tank and the other in the 72G where they had come from. It really seemed like she missed him. But then the other pair spawned due to the break in harassment from the breeding tank female. It seemed like the female wanted to be involved with both males. Is that a normal thing for Angels?

No, trios are not "normal " for this fish but they do happen. I've had a couple of them but only one trio stayed together till the end. As you may have read in the Wigglers thread, this current trio separated themselves. The second female was sent packing when the pair wanted to spawn the second time.
As for doing 2 males separately, while it is posted that Angels form monogomus pairs, I have to disagree on that. I frequently make pairs not of their choosing and will put bred females in with different males and get successful spawnings. So I can say that they don;t form lasting pairs where they won;t never spawn with other partners. I've also had males that spawned with different females in community tank situations. Usually, however, the second spawning happened too soon and the results were very small hatch percentages.

Hope that answered you question. (y)

Love your new Thread Andy and I envy your ability to devote so much of your time to your fish. Are you going to have some complex filtration system or how are you going to keep that many tanks clean if your not?
How much would you be willing to give up a 30 gal breeder tank for? No I am not breeding again, at least intentionally, but would love to trade in my 20gal on my end table for another thirty to put on the bottom of my double stand.:)
Too bad I'm not in Florida I would love to come help you and see your hatchery. My entire family is from Illinois, where I live now, but for some reason as they get old they suddenly can't take the weather they have lived in their whole lives and they head for the hills, Florida:lol:. My Mother, Grandfather and uncle are all in Haines City Florida.

Love your new Thread Andy and I envy your ability to devote so much of your time to your fish. Are you going to have some complex filtration system or how are you going to keep that many tanks clean if your not?
How much would you be willing to give up a 30 gal breeder tank for? No I am not breeding again, at least intentionally, but would love to trade in my 20gal on my end table for another thirty to put on the bottom of my double stand.:)
Too bad I'm not in Florida I would love to come help you and see your hatchery. My entire family is from Illinois, where I live now, but for some reason as they get old they suddenly can't take the weather they have lived in their whole lives and they head for the hills, Florida:lol:. My Mother, Grandfather and uncle are all in Haines City Florida.

Filtration is simple. Everything I do , mostly, is simple because simple works and it doesn;t have to be complicated to be successful. Sponge filters and water changes. Can it be any simpler?

Even if it were free of charge, I don't think you could get one of my tanks to you cheaper than getting one locally to you. However, if you drive to see your family, I'm only about 30-35 miles from Haines City ;) (y)

Back
Top Bottom