Wigglers 2: Birth of a hatchery & everything Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it helps any Andy I did follow your advice for the most part and I did succeed. You were even correct about the aftermath of breeding if your not prepared for that many angels or have an avenue to find them homes, but their will always be people that have to find out the hard way:rolleyes:(including me). I know I can say for myself and I'm sure many others Thank You for all the help you've given and continue to give today:).

New update

Well the past few days have been busy to say the least. Right now I have 3 spawns free swimming, 2 in jars about to start free swimming and a lost spawn from the Blushings. Seems they make good spawns but suck as parents.:facepalm: This was their 3rd spawn for me. The only one I pulled has been a nice success so far and the 2 I didn't pull have both been eaten. Guess I'll stop letting them try parenting. I can't raise the eggs they eat. :facepalm:

The Zebra Lace and Black had a huge spawn. I took no chances and put this one in a jar. Good thing too as I recently lost the male black to a kidney issue. I also lost the female black from the pair to an internal issue as well. Seems she had something vial going on inside as I tried to give her an Epsom salt bath and then messaged her swollen abdomen and she expelled some disgusting white fluid that smelled putrid. She lasted 2 more days then was gone. Her mate, who is her brother, is doing fine. Unfortunately, all the black Angels I have are from the same pair and the male to that pair is disfigured with a swollen abdomen as well so I just thought it was hereditary. Maybe if they had been in the top tanks I might have caught this before it got too bad but who knows. The male black gave me no warning to his problem. It showed and within 2 days he was gone. I'm thinking of putting the remaining black in with a Silver female to try to get some new genes into the line.
And speaking of genes.... lol ( that's an inside joke for me :D) the following pics are of the Zebra Lace- Black spawn. I had the spawn in a jar and they watched the jar intently while the eggs were in there. When I moved the jar to the tank next to them, they continued to watch their fry. Did they know they were theirs? I would think so because in the tank on the opposite side of them was the fry from the blushing angels and they paid no attention to them. Here's some pics for your enjoyment. (y)

Attachments

• Zebra- Black spawn in jar.jpg
    Zebra- Black spawn in jar.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 103
  • Zebra- Black watching spawn.jpg
    Zebra- Black watching spawn.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 106
The new pairing of the gold marble and the koi had another spawn as well which is in a jar. Somehow I don;t have pics of it on my camera so that will be for tomorrow?
But I did have the old koi pair do their first spawn in the new place and THAT I have pics and a movie of. :D You gotta love watching Angels in the act of spawning. :D

Attachments

• Koi pair spawning.jpg
    Koi pair spawning.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 97
As I've mentioned before, I usually allow some visual between pairs. Sometimes, a little jealousy is good for breeding. :brows: What I used this time was the insert that Tetra so nicely adds to their tanks.;) Since I don;t have the same access to all the different backgrounds I used to and the scenes on the inserts are very natural looking, I used them. :D You'll notice they cover about 3/4 of the tank side and wrap around to the back of the tank. ( Do I need to say that they are taped to the outsides of the tanks? lol ) The breeding slates will be towards the rear of the tank so that the pairs can spawn undisturbed. The only time they should see each other is when they come to the front to feed.

Attachments

• Breeder tank.jpg
    Breeder tank.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 99
Out of curiosity, how do you keep track of your gene lines? In a notebook? Some sort of... app? Do you number all your aquariums to keep them straight?

Now that I have more spawns and need more tanks functioning, I needed to stop fiddling with the vibrating pumps and brought out the big gun!! I have plenty of air now!!!! :D:ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• Air compressor.jpg
    Air compressor.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 91
So now the place will be like it should: pairs on top row, spawns right below them in second and third row.
Once the last temporary tanks are broken down and moved, I start with the grow out pools and tanks. (y)

Out of curiosity, how do you keep track of your gene lines? In a notebook? Some sort of... app? Do you number all your aquariums to keep them straight?

My pairs get numbered and the tanks get written on so I know who is where most of the time. I AM "old school" however and keep logs of everything in note books, not on computers. Notebooks, the paper kind :brows:, don;t crash.....they just get thrown away. :lol::facepalm: At the moment however, most of it is still in my head so as things start to get more organized and settled, I'll be transferring my head notes into book notes. (y)

My pairs get numbered and the tanks get written on so I know who is where most of the time. I AM "old school" however and keep logs of everything in note books, not on computers. Notebooks, the paper kind :brows:, don;t crash.....they just get thrown away. :lol::facepalm: At the moment however, most of it is still in my head so as things start to get more organized and settled, I'll be transferring my head notes into book notes. (y)

Im from this "new school" generation and I still prefer paper and pen. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Im from this "new school" generation and I still prefer paper and pen. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Some things I prefer paper and pens while others I prefer computers.

Fishobsessed7

Glad everything is coming together for you it looks great. Wish I were in Florida your getting to do what I would of loved to do. In the Midwest fish aren't in such high demand as they are in Florida or California, at least not where I am located. I'm surprised you even have enough time to post with all those spawns and feeding schedules. The adults look awesome I can't wait to see the fry when they start taking shape and getting color(y).

As an after thought I wanted to say I Think the parents know their fry. Mine would protect theirs to the point of nearly jumping out of their tank if someone even approached to feed them.

Glad everything is coming together for you it looks great. Wish I were in Florida your getting to do what I would of loved to do. In the Midwest fish aren't in such high demand as they are in Florida or California, at least not where I am located. I'm surprised you even have enough time to post with all those spawns and feeding schedules. The adults look awesome I can't wait to see the fry when they start taking shape and getting color(y).

As an after thought I wanted to say I Think the parents know their fry. Mine would protect theirs to the point of nearly jumping out of their tank if someone even approached to feed them.

My Silver and koi pair are like that. Koi isn't so bad but silver will jump and splash you.

Love seeing the progress Andy!

My oldest daughter is 25 and not a fish person at all, she would be scared to go to the front door because she hated to walk past their tank. She loves to look at fish, but petrified that one will actually jump out of tank at her.:rolleyes::lol:

Some things I prefer paper and pens while others I prefer computers.

Fishobsessed7
I use computers to go online and play games on. Fish don;t know what a CPU is and I am just too tired of trying to explain it to them. I just want them to make good babies. ;):D(y)

EXACTLY!!!! :D(y)(y)(y)

There's no doubt that some parents care about their fry more than others. As a hobbyist, you like to see the parenting thing take shape and how they interact with the fry. HOWEVER, when you can't let a spawn be lost, it becomes less important to you. ( I've also had some excellent first time spawns from young fish which I found out by pulling the spawns. This brings to question whether the fish "need a few times to get it right" or if the people need a few times to get it right. ;):whistle: ) I know it sounds cruel but this is why I set up my pairs so they are on the top row and next to only adults. Once the eggs are gone, it seems more an "Out of sight, out of mind" kind of thing. It seems less stressful on the parents, to me, if they think they lost the spawn so they move on from there. At least that's how my old pairs seemed to handle it.

As for time to post, one of the things I learned to do a long time ago was forming a routine. I spent most of today moving fish around so that my routine could be better implemented. This helter skeltor current set up is making me crazy. :blink::lol: Now that the compressor is in action and I have more air, I can set up more of the tanks on the breeder rack which will save me some more headaches. Once the timers and water drains get installed, the whole process will become much easier. :D (y) Once the a/c-heater gets installed ( re-installed ;) ) I'll be... :dance::dance::dance: :lol:

You would most likely go poor letting the parents raise their fry.:) It took my angelfish pair almost two years to WANT to raise their own fry, then I took them out of community tank and let them do it. Mine were with their fry for over three months and it was horrible trying to separate them (just as you said it would be!) but after it was said and done the parents went right back to normal as if nothing ever happened. I wonder though if I put one of the fry back with them ,now that they are quite larger, if they would realize it was one of their fry?:silly:.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder though if I put one of the fry back with them ,now that they are quite larger, if they would realize it was one of their fry?:silly:.

I doubt that the fish recognize their offspring once they are removed then returned. They would most likely just be seen as an intruder to the pair. That's why some Angels will eat their free swimming spawn in order to protect their next spawn.

Last edited by a moderator:
A quick update:
The spawn from the new Koi/ Gold Marble pair are now about 14 days past free swimming. They have sprouted their "wings" and there is a mixture of light and dark colored fish. Looking forward to putting them in a larger pool to grow out.

With the breeders in their section, feeding was quick and easy this morning as was feeding the fry tanks. Today, I finish setting up the rest of the tanks on the breeder rack so I can take down the last temporary tank & rack. Oh boy!!!! :D (y)

I doubt that the fish recognize their offspring once they are removed then returned. They would most likely just be seen as an intruder to the pair. That's why some Angels will eat their free swimming spawn in order to protect their next spawn.

As for the Oscars vs the Children, just how bad do you want to see your children?? :brows::lol::ROFLMAO: ( just kidding ;) ) (y)

You may be on to something there Andy:lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom