Wigglers 2: Birth of a hatchery & everything Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Went back to the store today that I visited on my way West hoping there would be some new stock to look at. They got new fish in but SOS ( same ole' stuff :( ) I took a business card for when I start shipping. I doubt they will be a difficult customer to get once they see what I will offer. ;) (y)

Ive read through most of the thread and i must say, i was interested in trying breeding before. Theres a few severely under represented fish in the hobby that are hard to find that i really enjoy such as aphyosemion australe that id like to help make more popular. Ive never really done breeding at all so where would you suggest a beginner to start?

BTW now i have to say im excited about the prospect :D

You were so close to kansas.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes and No. ;) I was in Scottsdale, AZ at a convention and returning through Southern Texas to visit with family. The closest I got to Kansas was Dallas Texas. :( There was a whole lot of Oklahoma between us. ;) lol Maybe next year? (y)

Ive read through most of the thread and i must say, i was interested in trying breeding before. Theres a few severely under represented fish in the hobby that are hard to find that i really enjoy such as aphyosemion australe that id like to help make more popular. Ive never really done breeding at all so where would you suggest a beginner to start?

BTW now i have to say im excited about the prospect :D

To quote my mentor, "When it comes to breeding, it's all about what the fish wants NOT what you want the fish to do."
Keeping that in mind, here's what I suggest: Learn as much as you can about that ( or any ) fish's natural habitat and habits in the wild. Once you understand what makes them live and breed in the wild, you will need to duplicate it in the tank ( if you are breeding the wild version of the fish) or create the circumstances that a domesticated version of the fish would find acceptable to breed in. In domesticated fish, usually only the water parameters are what's different.

Hope this helps. (y)

Dallas is only 8 hrs from here.... lol! Glad the trip is goin well. Enjoy the break.

So im curious, i saw thebpost about the culls and am wondering what method you use to actually do the culling.

Hi Andy, I am wishing you all the best in your new adventure. And I wanted to thank you for all the advice and help you gave me in the old thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So im curious, i saw thebpost about the culls and am wondering what method you use to actually do the culling.
I use the " 2 eyes and a net" method. ;) If the fish doesn't have similar physical features to a wild Angel, off they go to the feeding factory ( my buddy's turtles. :whistle:) My goal is to eventually tell my friend he needs to get another food source for his turtles. :brows:

Hi Andy, I am wishing you all the best in your new adventure. And I wanted to thank you for all the advice and help you gave me in the old thread.

Thank you. Glad I was able to help. (y) Hopefully, with a movement from groups such as this one, we can bring back some quality fish to offer to the shops to buy and then sell to help keep the hobby viable. If all that's available to the hobbyist is garbage, eventually this industry will die. I just feel that it is my obligation to help keep the hobby going so that anyone else looking for a direction, as I was, has an outlet to explore. The tropical fish industry gave me a pretty good life so it needs to keep going, in a positive direction, so that others can follow. (y)

Dallas is only 8 hrs from here.... lol! Glad the trip is goin well. Enjoy the break.

Yes , but it's 8 hours in the wrong direction. :lol:
Break????? What break? I'm here posting. There's no break....... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

FYI, I made it home tonight. Unfortunately, the lights were already out in the building so I will have to wait until tomorrow to see what's happening in there. :(

I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you turned the lights on to say hello lol. I'm sure it's 5-6am your time by now and your probally already out there lol. If your like me there the first thing you think about when you wake up and the last thing you think about before you go to sleep.

It's 4:12am here in ky. Another hour I'll be home tending to my fish lol

I use the " 2 eyes and a net" method. ;) If the fish doesn't have similar physical features to a wild Angel, off they go to the feeding factory ( my buddy's turtles. :whistle:) My goal is to eventually tell my friend he needs to get another food source for his turtles. :brows:

Thank you. Glad I was able to help. (y) Hopefully, with a movement from groups such as this one, we can bring back some quality fish to offer to the shops to buy and then sell to help keep the hobby viable. If all that's available to the hobbyist is garbage, eventually this industry will die. I just feel that it is my obligation to help keep the hobby going so that anyone else looking for a direction, as I was, has an outlet to explore. The tropical fish industry gave me a pretty good life so it needs to keep going, in a positive direction, so that others can follow. (y)

Definately love my 125 planted community tank. I have two pair of angels in there laying eggs. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to try and raise them. Maybe the next batch I will give another try.

I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you turned the lights on to say hello lol. I'm sure it's 5-6am your time by now and your probally already out there lol. If your like me there the first thing you think about when you wake up and the last thing you think about before you go to sleep.

It's 4:12am here in ky. Another hour I'll be home tending to my fish lol

Oh, to be new at this again....the vigor, the enthusiasm... ;):lol: No, I didn't go into the building last night. I was too tired and if I saw something, I would have dealt with it making me even more tired today. I went in today and unfortunately, found more deads than I had hoped. Thankfully, no tank was a wipeout and all the breeders were fine. So, as I said before, "They will make more.(y) "
I've reached the point where they are not the first and last thing I think of. I love doing the fish. Believe me, I LOVE!!!!!! doing the fish but they are not the #1 concern in my life anymore. ( But they are #2 ;) ) I've set them up for success and expect them to be okay. Turns out, some of the valves clogged so no water was being changed in a few of the tanks ( and of course, they were the ones with the most fatalities) but the concept was good. If I had someone who knew what to look for watching the place, the losses would have been less I'm sure.

I'm glad you are so enthusiastic about your breeding program. It takes work for sure and a certain kind of person to do that work. It's people such as yourself that will hopefully bring quality fish back into the hobby and make more people want to follow in your footsteps so keep it up. (y) We had an old expression when people compared us to other stores. " A filter is a filter but a fish is not a fish." Meaning, you can find the same piece of machinery in a number of places but the quality of the fish can vary greatly from shop to shop. Why do my fish do better than others? Because I care about what they live in, where they came from and how they were developed. It's always been a more expensive business model but in the long run, people appreciate it. Often, a hobbyist will spend much more $$$ with replacing poorer quality fish than they would by spending a little bit more on a quality fish the first time. It's all just the math. But if you add it all up, say you spend $.50 for a crappy fish and you need to have bought 3 in order to get 1 to live. So that fish actually cost $1.50. What if you spent $1.00 on a known quality fish and didn't have to replace it? See, the more expensive fish was actually cheaper. So, you see, a fish is not always a fish. :whistle:

Well, it's time to go do some water changes. (y)

Definately love my 125 planted community tank. I have two pair of angels in there laying eggs. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to try and raise them. Maybe the next batch I will give another try.

Well jump right back in. (y) You have the knowledge and know what you need to do so start making some good fish for your local shops to buy!! (y)(y)

Well jump right back in. (y) You have the knowledge and know what you need to do so start making some good fish for your local shops to buy!! (y)(y)

Yep will do. I kinda miss the whole experience.☺ I have a Koi pair laying and a unknown pair laying eggs. ?

Attachments

• 1431210645465.jpg
    1431210645465.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 1431210680010.jpg
    1431210680010.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 63
I may have spoken too soon earlier. After finally getting the cobwebs out of my head, I found the male Blushing had died while I was away. The good news is that I have a Gold Marble Male that I didn;t have a mate for, so.... maybe..... I can get some blushing Koi out of that pair? :brows: Thankfully, I have a number of Blushers growing out so I will just need to keep a few to make new pairs. (y)

Back
Top Bottom