Wigglers 2: Birth of a hatchery & everything Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yay for free swimmers. They started taking off from the slate early this morning and about 90% of them are up and about now. Happy this has worked out.

YEA!!!!! I remember what that feels like. (y)

Still no free-swimmer angelfish fry here. Expecting them sometime by tomorrow morning, since they became wigglers saturday. And I have bbs hatcheries going and ready for them!

Angelfish fry can take as long as 7 days to start free swimming. I usually don't start the BS hatchery until the day they free swim. Since the shrimp take about 24 hours to hatch and the fry can live off the reserves they've stored from the yolk sac for that first 24 hours, that's soon enough. (y)

Angelfish fry can take as long as 7 days to start free swimming. I usually don't start the BS hatchery until the day they free swim. Since the shrimp take about 24 hours to hatch and the fry can live off the reserves they've stored from the yolk sac for that first 24 hours, that's soon enough. (y)

I've got free-swimming rams though, which is why the BBS hatchery is already going. Good to be prepared!

I've got free-swimming rams though, which is why the BBS hatchery is already going. Good to be prepared!

However, with some varieties of Angels, 24 hour old brine shrimp are already too big for the fry to eat. So pre-making brine shrimp for Angelfish fry has it's pitfalls other than nutritionally. :whistle:

However, with some varieties of Angels, 24 hour old brine shrimp are already too big for the fry to eat. So pre-making brine shrimp for Angelfish fry has it's pitfalls other than nutritionally. :whistle:

So what do you feed too-small-for-bbs angelfish fry then?

I was checking out this site on wilds and the 7 types of Angels at www.finarama.com
It's titled visions of the Amazon.

Clem

Thanks for this Clem. It does show that there is soo many variables as to what is what that I still wouldn't claim to know what the fish Gillie is asking about actually is tho :(

Overall color and whatnot looks like cf. Scalare eimekei, but the spots are really off putting.

Overall color and whatnot looks like cf. Scalare eimekei, but the spots are really off putting.

Yes but, if you look at that site at pics C02, D04 and E02, these all have spots but are not the same fish... maybe.;) Then their is the pics of the juv Leopoldi which has spots too but is missing the defining large dorsal spot. So, unless the breeder can give you some more facts, here is my assumption: Since Peruvian Angels seem to be easier to breed than other wilds and this one is still only 2 generations from wild and this fish has the spotting similar to a Peruvian scalare, my guess would be that it's a Peruvian scalare not an eimekei or leopoldi. Would I put money on this guess? Heck NO!!!! :lol: Not enough info to place my bet with. ;) What's troubling me about my guess is the lack of the indentation at the snout as in pic E02 however, the fish in pic E06 doesn't have as pronounced an indentation and it may be that the fish you are asking about is too young to have that feature yet. So you see, I wouldn't bet on anything with the information provided so far. :nono::whistle:

Today was the day!!! I have swimmers......with a twist tho. :confused:
Okay, this is the original 1/2 Black pair's spawn. They were the only ones to have a good spawn since July. This one was a large spawn and a large hatch out as well ( bigger than their successful spawn) but the fry were staying very close to the bottom so I ran some tests on the water using my new test liquids. At this point, the tank had just an airstone in it with no filtration. Much to my surprise, there had been a rise in ammonia in the tank.:eek: This was a first for me as I had been checking other failed spawns and no ammonia was present. So I quickly added some PRIME and a cycled sponge filter and thankfully, tonight the ammonia level was back to 0. (whew!) I fed the tank some BBS and using a magnifying glass, I could see that the fry had eaten but they are just hanging out at the bottom. I have no idea how long there was ammonia present and this may have something to do with it but then again, this is a type that is known to be genetically weak and difficult to raise so I can't say for sure that "I am cured!!!" :lol: of the fry issues. The real test is going to come from the next spawn by a proven pair. If their fry survive and swim, then I will declare the issue solved ( it would have been the diet. :whistle: ) Of course, the 2 best pairs to try just spawned the other day and those eggs are all gone now. :facepalm: But their next ones are just around the corner. (y)

Okay, this is the original 1/2 Black pair's spawn. They were the only ones to have a good spawn since July. This one was a large spawn and a large hatch out as well ( bigger than their successful spawn) but the fry were staying very close to the bottom so I ran some tests on the water using my new test liquids. At this point, the tank had just an airstone in it with no filtration. Much to my surprise, there had been a rise in ammonia in the tank.:eek: This was a first for me as I had been checking other failed spawns and no ammonia was present. So I quickly added some PRIME and a cycled sponge filter and thankfully, tonight the ammonia level was back to 0. (whew!) I fed the tank some BBS and using a magnifying glass, I could see that the fry had eaten but they are just hanging out at the bottom. I have no idea how long there was ammonia present and this may have something to do with it but then again, this is a type that is known to be genetically weak and difficult to raise so I can't say for sure that "I am cured!!!" :lol: of the fry issues. The real test is going to come from the next spawn by a proven pair. If their fry survive and swim, then I will declare the issue solved ( it would have been the diet. :whistle: ) Of course, the 2 best pairs to try just spawned the other day and those eggs are all gone now. :facepalm: But their next ones are just around the corner. (y)

Really glad to hear it!

This is good news!

Thanks guys. I knew I'd get it figured out sooner or later but it's not all behind me yet. When you see a lot of posts with :dance: in it, then you will all know. ;):lol: ( They were still swimming this a.m.:D )

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving to all my followers. :) Hope you have a great day celebrating. :D(y)

From my family to you, brother.... Happy gobbles. Be safe, eat up, rest up.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Happy thanksgiving to you! I am thankful for your fish breeding insight and experience and your friendship

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

From my family to you, brother.... Happy gobbles. Be safe, eat up, rest up.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks. (y) As for safe, I can't be. Roomie has me going shopping today. :eek: Eat up: that's my bad Thanksgiving habit. :eek: Rest up, there's no rest for the weary. I'm working. :whistle: :D :ROFLMAO:

Thanks, a least Xmas time is the same for us [emoji6] ...and speaking about time its just going faster now as I age. I wish I had started my fish dreams earlier, but I'm always a late bloomer!

Clem

Thanks, a least Xmas time is the same for us [emoji6] ...and speaking about time its just going faster now as I age. I wish I had started my fish dreams earlier, but I'm always a late bloomer!

Clem
Oh, by the way I don't see black velvet Angels anymore. I remember them when I was a kid, they kinda appeal me.
If I ever take a trip to Trinidad, l will be looking at Venezuela because the mouth of the Amazon river flows into the sea and I would like to go and see it, if I'm lucky to go.
My mom's brother used to trade with the native Indians for birds and fish back in the 50's, he was a collector of animals, I wish I had known him then too. But hey we got you Andy !!![emoji1]

Clem

Back
Top Bottom