Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the easiest way to make the transport? I guess just taking the Intake tube and make sure it's kept in water?

The 10 gallon is ready. Gonna test the parameters to make sure everything is okay. More concerned about ammonia

How could there be an ammonia issue if you are using a bare tank and the water from the spawning tank? If the fish spawned in it, it's good water, move the eggs. :banghead: :D

Unless you are traveling hither and yon from one tank to the other, I just took my eggs out of the spawning tank and put them into the next tank ( which in my case was right below the spawning tank. The few seconds being in the air did nothing to the eggs.) If you are going to be traveling to another room, just get a jar or something that the slate or tube will fit in and transport them in water.

Just so you understand my process, I would take a siphon hose and siphon water from the spawning tank into the bare hatching tank. Once there was a few inches of water in the hatching tank, I moved the eggs and placed them flat on the bottom then siphoned more water from the spawning tank to be able to reset the slate in it's upright position ( usually about 1/2 way filled or 5 gals of water as I was using 10 gals to hatch.) Set up the airstone and heater then went about starting to add water back to the spawning tank. Usually 2 gals to start ( like a 20% water change) then 1 gal daily until the tank was full again. Simple process ;) Worked like a charm. No bad effects on eggs or parents. (y)

Ammonia should not come into play until you start feeding the fry which by then, you should be having a cycled sponge filter in the tank so guess what?? No Ammonia problem which means no Nitrite problem and water changes means no Nitrate problems. Why are you having problems??? :brows::D

I always seem to have ammonia in that 10 gallon even when I'm taking water from established tanks. I don't know why.

I always seem to have ammonia in that 10 gallon even when I'm taking water from established tanks. I don't know why.

You may have contaminated the silicone (if it's a glass tank) and it's leaching back into the water. If that's the case, I would make it into a terrarium and spend the $15.00 and get a new tank.
If it's a plexi tank, I would have to think that something is leaching out of the plastic and again, I would get rid of the tank. ( Why take chances? You'll make back the tank money in one successful spawn :brows:)

Assuming that your test kit chemicals are accurate, when you add the spawning water to the tank, you can add PRIME which will tetoxify the ammonia. ( If the eggs don't hatch, there is something else chemically going on and it's showing up in your tests as ammonia. Get rid of the tank. ) If all else fails, get yourself a 1 gal. glass jar ( I get mine at flea markets and thrift stores for $.50- $2.00) and hatch them out in there. You'll have about 5-6 days to get another tank.

Putting this in a logical term: If you are starting with a bare tank, and adding good water, there should be no reading of anything ( other than what the spawning water was) and no changes from those readings until you start feeding the fry. The eggs don't produce ammonia.

(I guess it's time for me to put my Sherlock Holmes hat back on :brows::lol: )

Last thought: have you ever used this tank for small animals such as mice, rats, hamsters, gerbils, etc. If you did, their urine is in the silicone and is leaching so you can't use the tank for fish anymore. :blink:

Im lucky enough that im now going on week 4 of my angels laying. Of course they layed on something i cant move and pull cause they like to eat the eggs.

That's why I use bare tanks with only a slate, sponge filter, heater and privacy. This way they have no choice but to lay on removeable items :brows: :D

Yeah im about to move the pair to a cycled 20g that just got ready. Should i be worried that the wont breed for awhile after i move them? or will it only take the normal 7-9 days that they are on?

Yeah im about to move the pair to a cycled 20g that just got ready. Should i be worried that the wont breed for awhile after i move them? or will it only take the normal 7-9 days that they are on?

The best way to reduce the most stress from the move is to put them into 100% of the water they are in now. Yes, they will probably not go spawning immediately but by giving them their water, they will restart much sooner. (y)

well i just can't win. I just got home to a dark 55 gallon. apparently the light blew. I guess that spooked them and they ate the eggs in the process :(

another aqueon product failure!!!!

Time for an update? :confused:
I have 10 fish that have successfully been moved to a 30 gal tank. I needed to reduce the water volume to 20 gals so that the softening pillow would work. I put in a divider into the tank to keep a space for 2 Koi Veils. I purchased 2 from one store and 1 of them is having pyschological issues and was too intimidated by the rest of the group. Upon transferring the fish from the 10 gal to the 30, I placed the 2 Kois in my 2 1/2 until I get that one feeding regularly. ( It's starting, but very timid) The divided section in the 30 will be for that twosome once I get the one eating. I am currently adding 1 gal of distilled water daily to the 30 until I fill it to the top as my ground/well water is too hard and alkaline. After testing the PH of both our distilled water and grocery store brand drinking water, I decided to use proper PH 6.5 which was able to get the ph down to about 6.8 and is holding. ( The distilled is 7.2 locally. The fish came from 6.0- 6.2. I should have taken more tap water from VA or NJ. :lol:) I will be setting up a 20 gal to continually soften new water to use for water changes. When/if I get to breeding stage and a new building, I will install a water system to make the water correct without all this work ( my least favorite 4 letter word :ROFLMAO:)
Unfortunately, the baddest As*es in the tank are the smaller silver and silver veil. I may need to move them into a separate tank except that one is more dominant over even the other one. Might just need to keep him by himself for a bit. The final decision has not been made.

In a strange twist, I bought freeze dried tubifex worms to feed the fish. I placed a half cube in with my Black Angels and saw them both eating so I walked away. The next morning, one had beaten the crap out of the other one. Torn dorsal fin, missing scales, shredded tail. It was not looking good. Thankfully I had that tank set up with a divider to keep 2 Bettas in the tank while I was away so I was able to separate the 2 without more stress. 1 day later, the beaten one returned to his own self and is eating fine. Not really sure what happened there as the two have been buddy buddy since I got them. Goes to show you, you have to be prepared for everything :blink:

That's the update for now. Having some camera problems but will post pics as soon as I can (y)

sounds like things are coming together for you. i should have my boxes for shipping this week so maybe i can make a few extra $ now. my orange pearlscale and blacks and blues are on a regular schedule. im still looking for a couple red cap koi males. i have 6 beautiful females just waiting for them. i will find some but i think i need to quit being so picky and just get a couple nice ones. i just put 200 orange pearlscale eggs in meth blue tonight. i have to set up another 30 gall tomorrow to transfer some 3 week old fry into cause theres about 400 of them lol. i guess thats my update also.

sounds like things are coming together for you. i should have my boxes for shipping this week so maybe i can make a few extra $ now. my orange pearlscale and blacks and blues are on a regular schedule. im still looking for a couple red cap koi males. i have 6 beautiful females just waiting for them. i will find some but i think i need to quit being so picky and just get a couple nice ones. i just put 200 orange pearlscale eggs in meth blue tonight. i have to set up another 30 gall tomorrow to transfer some 3 week old fry into cause theres about 400 of them lol. i guess thats my update also.

I'm hearing that cheer again: TANKS, TANKS, we need more TANKS!!!! :lol: :D

That's funny. I'm in my fishroom looking at my latest batch thinking to myself "Now where am I going to put them"! Lol

Ray, I tell every Angel breeder the same thing: You are either doing it very right ( means moving the fish out very fast (Not typical) ) or doing it very wrong ( meaning you don't have enough tanks (Very typical) ) :ROFLMAO: The fish always out pace you :blink: Now you know why I dedicated 4 tanks to every PAIR of fish. :D

I've already changed my building design about 5 times. Now I am thinking of building it around whatever pools I can get instead of looking for tanks and pools that will fit inside a building.:facepalm:

CURSE you guys for getting me back into this!!!! :banghead: :D ( but I love it :lol: )

I've been reading along for pleasure, but joined the wigglers club unexpectedly Sunday evening. Arrived home after being away all weekend to find wigglers from a Smokey pair. It's my first spawn and I didn't even see the eggs getting laid. 100% free swimming as of yesterday and my first batch of BBS was ready in time! Luckily AngelfishUSA is only 15 minutes from my house, so he set me up with hatcheries. Whew!

The unsightly sponge on my filter intake was rigged up Tuesday because this 10g was only meant as a Q tank while I prepared a new 55g, the fish were supposed to go in this week. Talk about timing! I'll roll with the punches, but not sure where to put grow out tanks... I'm in a small apartment.

Attachments

• image-2225981197.jpg
    image-2225981197.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 59
  • image-133637809.jpg
    image-133637809.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 59
I've been reading along for pleasure, but joined the wigglers club unexpectedly Sunday evening. Arrived home after being away all weekend to find wigglers from a Smokey pair. It's my first spawn and I didn't even see the eggs getting laid. 100% free swimming as of yesterday and my first batch of BBS was ready in time! Luckily AngelfishUSA is only 15 minutes from my house, so he set me up with hatcheries. Whew!

The unsightly sponge on my filter intake was rigged up Tuesday because this 10g was only meant as a Q tank while I prepared a new 55g, the fish were supposed to go in this week. Talk about timing! I'll roll with the punches, but not sure where to put grow out tanks... I'm in a small apartment.

Congrats and welcome to the club! :D The nice thing about this is the fry will be fine in the 10gal for a few weeks and when the 55 is ready you can move the parents there. I would suggest getting a sponge filter as soon as you can and put it in there so it can begin to be seeded by your HOB. If another large tank for grow out isn't an option perhaps splitting the fry into smaller groups into smaller tanks might work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom