Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I found this thread last night and all I can say is WOW! Tons of great information and knowledgable folks. I especially enjoyed reading about Andy's dive back into breeding.

I have kept fish on and off since I was around 10 years old and have recently found myself interested in the hobby once again. I have ordered six juvenile sunset blushing angels from a reputable breeder and will be making my entrance into the breeding realm.

Looking forward to following this thread and getting to know you guys.

Welcome to the thread (y) Glad you were able to get a lot of info from it. Fishkeeping is my hobby but Angelfish are my passion. But it's like the quote from the last Godfather movie " Every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in!!!!!!!" lol I just felt like if I was going to be current with my info, I needed to start breeding them again. The varieties may have changed over the years but the system still works. ( I got too many babies already and need a bigger building. :facepalm: :lol:)
Feel free to ask any questions. We're here to help (y) Happy reading :D

My koi parents have almost no colour in them. Mostly white with silver and black splotches and a faint yellow orange spot on their nose. At first I didn't like them because they weren't what I envisioned angels to look like. Since they've become my favourite because of their quality with long straight fins. So much crap out there

Did you read the article I posted about 100 pages back? (lol) about the creation of the Koi line? Within the line are Marbles, Reds, Red Caps ( I think the red caps without good red are now called sunsets), Golds and more. They used 9 lines to get a koi. What I believe is out there are fish with KOI genes that don't necessarily look like Kois. I think this is why there is so much interest in having more red or orange in the fish to distinguish them from the standards like GoldMarbles. I would never sell that fish in the picture as a Koi unless I knew it had Koi genes and that's what the buyer was looking for. It does have the right markings tho to make a nice Koi Angel if it were bred with an Orange colored fish. (y) The 3 colors don't have to be in massive amounts, just present without other colors.
Hope this explains it (y)

Welcome to the thread (y) Glad you were able to get a lot of info from it. Fishkeeping is my hobby but Angelfish are my passion. But it's like the quote from the last Godfather movie " Every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in!!!!!!!" lol I just felt like if I was going to be current with my info, I needed to start breeding them again. The varieties may have changed over the years but the system still works. ( I got too many babies already and need a bigger building. :facepalm: :lol:)
Feel free to ask any questions. We're here to help (y) Happy reading :D

Thanks Andy, It's been similar for me. I leave it for a bit and end up returning. My last involvement was Bettas about 6 years ago. I've really fell in love with angels and a lot of my drive is to get some better fish in my LFS. Also i'm right to your north in Charleston SC

Thanks Andy, It's been similar for me. I leave it for a bit and end up returning. My last involvement was Bettas about 6 years ago. I've really fell in love with angels and a lot of my drive is to get some better fish in my LFS. Also i'm right to your north in Charleston SC

I understand. As you read, I went to and through a number of stores looking for good fish and only found them in a few stores in different states. Anybody who can produce good fish to get into the stores is "my kind of hobbyist" (y)
I'll let you know when I make my next trip North :D

So just a little update: The newest pair's eggs hatched finally. Many larger than average wigglers from what I can see. I'm only slightly disappointed because after 24 hours, there were only 3 dead eggs. 48 hours only about 7 or 8 dead eggs. 72 hours however, about 60%-70% of the eggs were dead :( They never hatched so I just have to chalk it up to his youth. Maybe he didn;t have enough stronger swimmers? Nothing changed so I can't pinpoint a change for the reason. It's all part of the game. Thankfully, the female is an experienced layer so I will keep them together just to see if he improves :brows: I'll be happy to see what this combo brings (Silver veil x Gold Marble) :D

That is exactly what's happening with me silver female and black male pair. Good size spawn and eggs. They all become wigglers but it's like a mass suicide. Only a few left as of now. I did have another spawn from my silver pair the day after these two. Before adding the blue I shook the container and that seemed to work as the dead eggs did not fungus.

That is exactly what's happening with me silver female and black male pair. Good size spawn and eggs. They all become wigglers but it's like a mass suicide. Only a few left as of now. I did have another spawn from my silver pair the day after these two. Before adding the blue I shook the container and that seemed to work as the dead eggs did not fungus.

Usually, after the hatch, a change can be attributed to the dying off. Maybe a chill, or lack of oxygen or something in the water used to rid the blue, etc. These eggs came from a first time spawner mixed with an experienced female so this result is not too uncommon. I'm just a little befuddled why the last day so many died. I'm used to infertile eggs dying quickly. But as I said, most of the wigglers are a good size and some are really small ( needing a magnifying glass to see them small! )
But I have a Petco $1.00/ gal sale going on at a store in a town I will be at on Monday so it's more 10 gal tanks for me :D I only wish I had the building up already so I could get some of the bigger tanks already. I'm getting a little cramped and starting to think of crazy alternatives :facepalm: :ROFLMAO: I need an electrician!!!!! :facepalm:

Picked up my 55 gallon grow out tank from petco today, 64.95 with tax. Going to build a simple 2X4 stand for it this week. Also I'll get a 5 coupon from my pet rewards so my 10 gallon will only cost me 5 bux. Hooray!

What kind of wattage heater should I run on the 55?

Picked up my 55 gallon grow out tank from petco today, 64.95 with tax. Going to build a simple 2X4 stand for it this week. Also I'll get a 5 coupon from my pet rewards so my 10 gallon will only cost me 5 bux. Hooray!

What kind of wattage heater should I run on the 55?

If the room temp stays pretty constant, you can use a 200-250 watt heater. If the temps vary greatly, I'd bump it up to a 300 watt to keep the temp more constant. Higher temps are not really the problem, temperature fluctuations causes more fish to succumb to diseases. (y)

If the room temp stays pretty constant, you can use a 200-250 watt heater. If the temps vary greatly, I'd bump it up to a 300 watt to keep the temp more constant. Higher temps are not really the problem, temperature fluctuations causes more fish to succumb to diseases. (y)

It's a steady 70 in here during the winter and 75 in the summer. I've been running aquatop heaters on my other tanks and I've got to say I'm really impressed with how stable they keep the temp compared to the aqueon/all glass brand ones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom