Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've had some casualties. I'm a little paranoid of over feeding them that I may have not fed them enough. The last two feedings I was careful to watch how quickly they consumed the brine shrimp. Does the what can be eaten in 3 minutes rule apply with fry?

Boy, this is a tricky one ;) I used to feed enough shrimp at each feeding that there was some left over in the tank overnight. HOWEVER, I judged it so that there was no more swimming brine when the next feeding time was. So, for example, if there was still swimming brine at lunch time feeding, the lunch feeding was delayed that day. Same with dinner. The thing I watched out for was the dead shrimp polluting the tank and fungusing over so I routinely siphoned the bottom of the tanks a couple of hours after the morning feeding. Usually, every other day but it was always situational. (It's an eyeball thing, not a measurable thing, for me. :brows:) When the fry are small, you want to make sure they have enough to eat to get them to grow so the 3 minute rule is not really a good measure at this point. It really comes down to more of a: Hatch out a measured amount of BS eggs. If they eat it all, add some more eggs for the next same time feeding. If they can't finish the shrimp, cut back on the amount of eggs you are hatching until you find the happy medium. (Hence the reason for records ;))

Lastly, losing some fry is normal. I believe the percentage for large brood wild animals and fish is that 10% of the young grow to become breeding adults. Predators, genetics and the siblings themselves all play a part in the surviving 10%. Obviously, in a tank, the amount of fry that would normally be eaten by predators is diminished but that still leaves the other 2 parts at least that you have no control over at a young age. My magic number was 100 & 150. If young breeders yielded 100 salable fry, I was happy. If my older breeders yielded 150 salable fry, I was happy. Anything more than those numbers and I was really happy. Too many more than those numbers and I would start to panic looking for more pools to grow them out in. :ROFLMAO:

Just remember, use each spawn as a learning tool so you get to the point where nothing surprises you. :eek: :D (y)

How's yours doing? Correct me if I'm wrong but they spawned in the community tank right? Any left?

I don't get my angels. Woke up one morning and there were no eggs. When they were in a separate tank they stopped spawning. I put them in the main tank and boom. I think the parents did it.

From what I understand they'll eat the eggs if they deem there's a threat and in a community tank the threat is always likely. Mine ate the first 4 spawns. The first was in a community tank and the other three were in their own tank but because I was always moving about they thought I was the threat. If you try to move them in another tank be prepared for them to spend the next year or so in it. As Andy mention these guys need routine and bouncing them from tank to tank should be part of the routine. After moving mine it took 25 days before they spawned again. Every time I made a change to the tank they took longer to spawn. I suggest putting them in their separate tank and stick to a regular water change routine and feed them a variety of foods as well.

From what I understand they'll eat the eggs if they deem there's a threat and in a community tank the threat is always likely. Mine ate the first 4 spawns. The first was in a community tank and the other three were in their own tank but because I was always moving about they thought I was the threat. If you try to move them in another tank be prepared for them to spend the next year or so in it. As Andy mention these guys need routine and bouncing them from tank to tank should be part of the routine. After moving mine it took 25 days before they spawned again. Every time I made a change to the tank they took longer to spawn. I suggest putting them in their separate tank and stick to a regular water change routine and feed them a variety of foods as well.

I think you missed a word ;) Bouncing them from tank to tank should NOT be part of the routine.

Puting them in a tank with the least amount of disturbance coupled with a good diet and water management has always yielded me plenty of fry to play with. (y)

I think you missed a word ;) Bouncing them from tank to tank should NOT be part of the routine.

Puting them in a tank with the least amount of disturbance coupled with a good diet and water management has always yielded me plenty of fry to play with. (y)

Lol. Yup I did! Thanks ;)

I dunno. They just didn't like the separate tank. They hadn't spawned since before thanksgiving and I am just frustrated with them. The male (bubba) is VERY protective. It's funny watching him fight them off.

I swear tho, I see some of the other angels fighting each other. I don't know if I can handle another pair right now lol.

Lol. So the parents are acting all lovey dovey swimming in tandem and busy shoeing away snails away from the spawning site. Only problem is I've kinda created a more natural tank for them with live plants including an amazon sword. Man what was I thinking. They're busy cleaning off one of the leafs. I believe they're going to spawn again tomorrow. She's looking fatter with eggs and their (help me out here because I can't remember what it's called) thingy protruding from their bottom is becoming more pronounced. Oh I pulled the sword out right away and now they're cleaning the slate. Whew

Is it not a good thing to spawn on the plant or something? It's the breeding tube you are talking about. Your guys are busy....

Is it not a good thing to spawn on the plant or something? It's the breeding tube you are talking about. Your guys are busy....

I want them to spawn on the slate so I can pull the slate and raise them myself. Breeding tube is probably right but I've heard of something else. Like pilpar or something. It'll come to me. If they do spawn tomorrow that will be exactly 14 days.

Ok gotcha. This might be how I have to do it. I put my rock in the tank that they have spawned on before, but they might go on the filter tube again.....someday

great im glad to here it. it seams like all my pairs have started to get frisky at the same time lol . so i have been buizy setting up 10 gallon tanks and geting ready. my new pair that i got a week ago are an orange one and a big koi and here tube is out also so watching her close. Andy how long can i leave fry in with parents before moving either one. i was so busy i didnt notice a pair of blacks had spawned in the back of the 75 gall lol

good -do u have the water the rite temp - airstone - sponge filter- meth blue. if so good luck

Yes I do. This is the second spawn that I'll pull. My other guys are two weeks now. Or do you go by when the become wigglers?

congads on the fry. i don't officially count the babies actual birth until they are free swimming, while they are wigglers they still have there yolk sack they are feeding off of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom