Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats Bob! What an excellent feeling when you sell something you raised isn't it? I've done some private sales with my high finned lye Mickey platys and my Koi Angels. A LFS nearby me has placed an order for for 50 of my Angels I'll be dropping them off tomorrow morning.

Congrats Bob! What an excellent feeling when you sell something you raised isn't it? I've done some private sales with my high finned lye Mickey platys and my Koi Angels. A LFS nearby me has placed an order for for 50 of my Angels I'll be dropping them off tomorrow morning.

Ray:
Now you'll see the effeciency of the round robin method. Once you take out fish from your growout tanks, you should be able to condense spawns of a similar age freeing up more tanks. The round robin continues.

On another note, I checked and I'll still be over a 10 hour drive from you when I am in NJ in May. So much for dropping by to get some fish from you :(

So I've been patient and letting my angels do their thing and learn some things. It looks like they are spawing about every 10 days. If i'm right I will see eggs tomorrow. I just fed them and my busy pair looks like they have tubes out, and the male is getting aggressive with everyone again (drats!! didnt get to move them to the 20 yet)

Bob and Karay, congrats to the both of you on your profits! with enough patience and learning, I hope to collect a bonus soon once the planets get lined up right :D

Andy, you were right... I left the fry in with the rents too long and woke up to a tank with no more babies! They just spawned again..this time on a piece of slate! So I'm thinking I might try to hatch them artificially. Would it be OK to just move the slate to my 20 gallon with an airstone,heater, and sponge filter, or do I need to hatch them in something smaller first...and if so what would you suggest?

Andy, you were right... I left the fry in with the rents too long and woke up to a tank with no more babies! They just spawned again..this time on a piece of slate! So I'm thinking I might try to hatch them artificially. Would it be OK to just move the slate to my 20 gallon with an airstone,heater, and sponge filter, or do I need to hatch them in something smaller first...and if so what would you suggest?

I would move them as soon as the parents are done. Set the slate on top of the air stone hose so the current travels up the side the eggs are on. Look at Andy's sketch in his album.

if u had a 10 gall it would be better but a 20 will work. bare bottom -- water from the tank they are hatched in- 80 to 82 degree- sponge filter- and if u can get it get some methane blue to keep fungus away. keep lights off for 3 days will help also. after free swimming do daily 25% water change to remove blue. after day 5 start feeding bbs

Sometimes I am sorry to be right but as I say, use this as a learning experience for the next time.

My two compadres above have told you all you need to get them to hatch out. I do encourage you to look at the sketch in my Album marked "Instruction charts" so you can see the proper way to have the airflow over the eggs. This will require a separate airline to the one for the sponge filter. If you only have the one, replace the filter with the airstone until the eggs hatch then switch it back to the filter. (Try to have the filter running in another tank so it stays cycled if you have to replace it. )

Congrats and keep us posted (y)

OK so I really suck at this... I left the eggs with the parents too long (didn't have time to set up the other tank) and they ate them! My boyfriend said a lot of the eggs were turning white...I watched them spawn and they seemed to be doing a good job, as they normally do. My boyfriend is convinced it was the piece of slate that made the eggs go bad... Is that even possible? I'm not sure exactly what the rock is other than its a burnt orange piece of Slate/shale. At this point I'm giving up on the breeding process... We are moving soon and will have to give up a majority of our tanks :( but out of curiosity is there a type of rock/material that is harmful to the eggs?

OK so I really suck at this... I left the eggs with the parents too long (didn't have time to set up the other tank) and they ate them! My boyfriend said a lot of the eggs were turning white...I watched them spawn and they seemed to be doing a good job, as they normally do. My boyfriend is convinced it was the piece of slate that made the eggs go bad... Is that even possible? I'm not sure exactly what the rock is other than its a burnt orange piece of Slate/shale. At this point I'm giving up on the breeding process... We are moving soon and will have to give up a majority of our tanks :( but out of curiosity is there a type of rock/material that is harmful to the eggs?

I'm more interested in the type of filter that's on the tank with the parents. If its a power filter I would suggest shutting it of during the spawning. The high currents they produce can carry away the milt that the male uses to fertilize the eggs. No milt = no fertilized eggs which will turn white. Slate is what I and most breeder use

some rocks are not good in tanks but i have never herd of them making the eggs go bad. i i have every thing from black marble- white marble to slate and eaven a flat river rock that mine lay eggs on. never guive up hun they will hatch i promiss. it took me 3 mts till i figured out how to do it .

Well I have a regular hob filter but turned the flow way down, it didn't have much of an issue the last time they spawned either which was actually on the filter intake. So weird! Oh well I'm not going to have room enough to house any fry soon anyhow. Thanks everyone :)

Don't worry, everybody sucks at it at first ;) There may be a couple of things going on here so check each one out. Assuming that your fish have spawned more than 6 times with no success, continue reading :D ( If they've spawned less than 6, they might not be getting it right yet and nothing you do will change that.)
The type of rock or spawning site is almost moot. I've used everything from Shale to Slate to Clay to Plastic with the same results. I just made sure the site would fit and be easy to move. Odds are against the rock being an issue unless it is made of calcium rock. This can cause the water to become too hard and alkaline which brings up point.....#2
#2- Wild Angelfish come from soft acidic water and even tho the fish has adapted to living in almost any type of water, breeding can be adversely affected in hard alkaline water. Check your PH and Hardness.

#3- HOB filters don't really have a place in a breeding situation. Say what you want about water flow and whatnot but HOB filters use cartridges that remove organic materials from the water. Fish sperm can't get more organic in my eyes :blink:. Using the proper filtration ( I prefer Sponge filters) all the genetic materials remain in the tank and have no choice but to fertilize or die. HOBs add a third option which is "Sucked up away from the egg."

So if you find yourself in your next place, wanting to try this again, keep the above in mind. You might find your successess will be more plentiful if you follow what the other successful breeders are doing. Obviously, they have figured it out.
Good luck (y)

So apparently they did not eat the eggs... they moved them.... They are wigglers now! Well we'll see what happens now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom