Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One other thing I noticed is for every 1/2 teaspoon of brine shrimp eggs used only 1/8 teaspoon of decapsulated eggs are needed. They seem to go further. So seeing your old prices I can see while guys are getting out. Low margins after expenses. I was lucky enough to get 4 cans for $30 each. Here in Canada I've been finding it at $90+. Crazy. Have been considering looking at New Life Spectrum growth formula as well

I KNOW!!!! I saw a can on Ebay for $90 and almost had a heart attack. That's 6 times what I used to pay. Made me really think about what I was getting myself back in to. lol
I'm thinking that only needing live for the first few days of feeding before switching may be the way to go. PLUS, with some of the newer straines needing even smaller food, it changes the process just a bit. But I can adapt ;)

Amazing isn't it how those little shells take up so much room. lol :D

My latest spawn just started to swim today so I've given them microworms today. I think I'll feed them those for the next couple of days and see how that progresses. As mentioned the nice thing is they can last 2 days in the water. The fry can eat them at their leisure. I've heard the banana worms are larger. There's a gentleman at my aquarium society that has them. I might ask him for a culture to compare.

for the first time I'm excited and very nervous. I've finally reached the stage of free swimmers, and they're everywhere!! daddy is gathering stragglers and putting them on the plant. mommy is gathering stragglers and putting them in an open area towards the top, so I have a couple of groups. I'm gonna venture to guess I might have 200 of em :eek::eek:

for the first time I'm excited and very nervous. I've finally reached the stage of free swimmers, and they're everywhere!! daddy is gathering stragglers and putting them on the plant. mommy is gathering stragglers and putting them in an open area towards the top, so I have a couple of groups. I'm gonna venture to guess I might have 200 of em :eek::eek:

Very cool! Must be a sight to see. I might be at that stage next week. My pair stepped up the pace by 2 days and spawned at day 9 instead of day 11 like the past spawns. Not that it really matters. I've plum run out of tank space. I've got 8 spawns on the go at the moment. I'm first spawn is almost all sold off which good. Pays for the food. Maybe with a few more sales I might be able to afford a few more tanks! You'll have to take pics

yea, this spawn was i think two days early as well. the male is super aggressive. I touch the glass with my finger and he's trying to attack me lol

there's a group with mom and a group with dad. I dont know how to do the BBS thing so for now I've been trying with first bites. When i went to feed the adults (bloodworms) they were even attacking the food lol I"m about to take a few pics and record a video clip

I have an empty 10 and just setup the 20 long. right now all the other angels are in the 20 high. when the fry grow out, where should they go? Only reason I hate the 10 because I can't see to keep ammonia in check. i want the mating pair to have their own tank, but the community tank I dont want to use anymore (rather keep as a community, or swap for a 55 perhaps, it's a corner tank and it's way too high)

The size of grow out tank really depends on the size of the brood. If there's a lot of survivors then neither will do. They need a lot of space or the fins will become stunted and will not be pretty fish. Minimum grow out tank size is 55gal. Did you say your corner tank is a larger one. Is there anything in it now? The other possibility is to split the brood to start and put a third in the 10gal and 2/3 in the 20gal long. Be prepared to do water changes every day when you do this. It's the only way to keep the water in good condition for the fry. Sponge filters!

Very cool! Must be a sight to see. I might be at that stage next week. My pair stepped up the pace by 2 days and spawned at day 9 instead of day 11 like the past spawns. Not that it really matters. I've plum run out of tank space. I've got 8 spawns on the go at the moment. I'm first spawn is almost all sold off which good. Pays for the food. Maybe with a few more sales I might be able to afford a few more tanks! You'll have to take pics

Breeding Angelfish formula:
1 Male Fish + 1 Female fish = 4 tanks. If you don't have 4, you don't have enough :D :whistle:

The size of grow out tank really depends on the size of the brood. If there's a lot of survivors then neither will do. They need a lot of space or the fins will become stunted and will not be pretty fish. Minimum grow out tank size is 55gal. Did you say your corner tank is a larger one. Is there anything in it now? The other possibility is to split the brood to start and put a third in the 10gal and 2/3 in the 20gal long. Be prepared to do water changes every day when you do this. It's the only way to keep the water in good condition for the fry. Sponge filters!
the corner tank is the tank they are in now, a 44 gallon. it's a tall tank. It was the community tank, but I moved the others out to the 20H so I can at least have what I have now. the 20L is being filled and setup. I"m keeping that one bare-bottom. the 10g is also bare-bottom. i'm gonna seed the 20L with the filter from the corner tank they are in

they look so cute swimming around :brows:

Breeding Angelfish formula:
1 Male Fish + 1 Female fish = 4 tanks. If you don't have 4, you don't have enough :D :whistle:

you know, I was struggling with finding a place to put the 20L. I seriously considered getting rid of either my sofa or love seat to make room :D

and i'm still on the fence about my 75 gallon. I feed the fish, but have no enjoyment in it anymore (saltwater). I can really use the space of a 75g. and I have a 10g in the garage waiting for a job to do lol

you know, I was struggling with finding a place to put the 20L. I seriously considered getting rid of either my sofa or love seat to make room :D

and i'm still on the fence about my 75 gallon. I feed the fish, but have no enjoyment in it anymore (saltwater). I can really use the space of a 75g. and I have a 10g in the garage waiting for a job to do lol

A 75 gal tank that is 48" long x 18" wide makes a good grow out tank for small Angelfish.

I'm just sayin' :brows: :whistle:

well I still have to learn some things. as time went on it seemed the numbers dwindled with the fry. Now I dont see any :( dont know if they were eaten or what.

Wooot! :) Do you know what the problems were before? I've been helping my friend breed her angelfish, and after about 10 spawns with the new breeding pair, they have gone from not making it past the egg stage, to making it all the way to free swimming. :) Sadly though, once they get free swimming, they haven't made it past that yet. I'm pretty sure that the problem is her tank is infested with tiny parasitic worms that eat fry and eggs, but I also took some home with me to try and save them in my fry tank, and sadly they died overnight. :c So now I'm thinking that it's because they aren't eating. I'd be interested in hearing the issues you've had and if you have been able to figure out something that has worked or not worked for you?

Wooot! :) Do you know what the problems were before? I've been helping my friend breed her angelfish, and after about 10 spawns with the new breeding pair, they have gone from not making it past the egg stage, to making it all the way to free swimming. :) Sadly though, once they get free swimming, they haven't made it past that yet. I'm pretty sure that the problem is her tank is infested with tiny parasitic worms that eat fry and eggs, but I also took some home with me to try and save them in my fry tank, and sadly they died overnight. :c So now I'm thinking that it's because they aren't eating. I'd be interested in hearing the issues you've had and if you have been able to figure out something that has worked or not worked for you?

I suggest reading this thread from front to back. It's loaded with info that will get you going for breeding angel fish. After reading then you need to decide whether to artiFISHilly hatch and raise or try to let nature take its course. Cheers

if your serious about breeding angels its much easier to hatch your eggs by your self than letting the parents do it because . in most community tanks the eggs and fry will get eaten because either the parents are ready to breed again or the other fish in the tank eat them. Artzechic , clean water and tank care is the most important thing in breeding angelfish. if u ever want to hatch your own eggs feal free to ask . theres a few people here who can help u do this and explain the prosess.

PCDebb, my swimmers wouldn't take to the First Bites either. I'm pretty sure they (mine) died from not eating. If memory serves me, that's what you were trying too wasn't it?

PCDebb, my swimmers wouldn't take to the First Bites either. I'm pretty sure they (mine) died from not eating. If memory serves me, that's what you were trying too wasn't it?

I'm not sure if I actually said that, but yeah, lol that's what I was using. My other fry gobbles it up. Now, I'm trying my hand at hatching brine shrimp to feed the fry some live food. :)

if your serious about breeding angels its much easier to hatch your eggs by your self than letting the parents do it because . in most community tanks the eggs and fry will get eaten because either the parents are ready to breed again or the other fish in the tank eat them. Artzechic , clean water and tank care is the most important thing in breeding angelfish. if u ever want to hatch your own eggs feal free to ask . theres a few people here who can help u do this and explain the prosess.

Yeah, I know it is. My fry tanks are fantastically clean and I test them all the time. I haven't lost any of my own fry yet. It's just that my friend doesn't really think it's too big a deal. Sigh, there are planaria in the tank and such. Soooo, when I took the baby angelfish home, it was pretty much only because they were dying off anyways, and I figured I'd at least give them a tiny chance. One lived for 3 days in my fry tank. I really think that for my tank at least, they might survive if I gave live food.... :/ unfortunately, I think they are doomed in my friend's tank until she can clean it. It's not really her fault though because she has a medical condition that keeps her super tired all the time. I really need to do it for her, just haven't had time yet

Other than livebearer fry, I haven't known any fry to not need to eat live foods as a first food. There's something about the motion,(I believe) that kicks in the natural instinct to feed. Infusoria, Microworms, Brine shrimp nupulii, vinegar eels, etc., so many choices to get them going. Why not use them?

Breeding fish is easy. Raising fish fry is not easy so you can't take the easy way out doing it. You face the consequenses when you try.

From the timeframe Artzechic, it sounds like the fry just starved to death. The day after Angel Fry start free swimming is the day they MUST have food to eat for a successful growth experience. (In my experience. ;) ) Luckily, Angels usually always give you more chances to try to succeed. ;)

If you or your friend follow the advice that has been given throughout this thread, I'd almost guarantee you success. ;) ( Can't give 100% guarantee cause there ARE variables that we can't predict or foresee :D )

yea pretty much. It looked like they were swimming in the "cloud" of food so I assume they were eating. I know I may have to go thru this a few times to get it right, so next time I will do what's necessary.

So my moving plans have been delayed and I think I have one more shot at raising a successful batch. In my last attempt I had moved my wigglers to my 20 gallon tank and was feeding them first bites which they took well too. Unfortunately by the end of their first week of free swimming I had lost them all! I was trying to feed them 3x a day but it got away from me with my work schedule... That and my sponge filter wasn't fully cycled. Fortunately now I have cycled media and a slower work schedule.

My angels just spawned on slate again and this time I decided to move it before the eggs get a chance to hatch. I filled a 5 gallon bucket with water from their main tank (I had done a big water change right before the spawn) and put in a heater and air stone for water movement. My question is how long should I wait until I move them to the 20 gallon... And should I be doing water changes before they are free swimming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom