Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So my moving plans have been delayed and I think I have one more shot at raising a successful batch. In my last attempt I had moved my wigglers to my 20 gallon tank and was feeding them first bites which they took well too. Unfortunately by the end of their first week of free swimming I had lost them all! I was trying to feed them 3x a day but it got away from me with my work schedule... That and my sponge filter wasn't fully cycled. Fortunately now I have cycled media and a slower work schedule.

My angels just spawned on slate again and this time I decided to move it before the eggs get a chance to hatch. I filled a 5 gallon bucket with water from their main tank (I had done a big water change right before the spawn) and put in a heater and air stone for water movement. My question is how long should I wait until I move them to the 20 gallon... And should I be doing water changes before they are free swimming?

After I pulled the slates and moved them into a 10 gal. tank with water that they were spawned in, I didn;t do any changes to anything until after they began feeding on food. In the process of hatching and absorbing their yolk sac, the fry are not really producing enough of anything that would be deteriorating the water quality so there is no need to change it. Once they are feeding, that all changes and water changes are a must to keep the tank clean of uneaten foods.
As for when to move them into the other tank?, Eggs travel better than hatched fry so the sooner the better ;)

Hope that helps (y)

After I pulled the slates and moved them into a 10 gal. tank with water that they were spawned in, I didn;t do any changes to anything until after they began feeding on food. In the process of hatching and absorbing their yolk sac, the fry are not really producing enough of anything that would be deteriorating the water quality so there is no need to change it. Once they are feeding, that all changes and water changes are a must to keep the tank clean of uneaten foods.
As for when to move them into the other tank?, Eggs travel better than hatched fry so the sooner the better ;)

Hope that helps (y)

It does! Thank you!

Didn't want to say anything yet until I was certain these two would pair up. I knew one was a female but we were uncertain whether the other one was male. The day I dropped of some of my koi angels to the pet store there was four silver and a blue angel. A pair that actually just spawned in their tank the day before. I spent the week debating to pick them up. After deciding to go and buy them I arrived to find the male wasn't in there so I asked the store owner if he sold him. Man was he very upset. One of his staff sold the male before he had a chance to tell them they were a pair. Now the blue and a silver also had paired up and the blue was picking on the last silver so we figured it was a male. I bought the two hoping one was male and hoping they would pair up. Well they did! I love them. Right now because if spawning I think their colours are really standing out. Even the red in their eyes.

Attachments

• image-4191989732.jpg
    image-4191989732.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 68
Didn't want to say anything yet until I was certain these two would pair up. I knew one was a female but we were uncertain whether the other one was male. The day I dropped of some of my koi angels to the pet store there was four silver and a blue angel. A pair that actually just spawned in their tank the day before. I spent the week debating to pick them up. After deciding to go and buy them I arrived to find the male wasn't in there so I asked the store owner if he sold him. Man was he very upset. One of his staff sold the male before he had a chance to tell them they were a pair. Now the blue and a silver also had paired up and the blue was picking on the last silver so we figured it was a male. I bought the two hoping one was male and hoping they would pair up. Well they did! I love them. Right now because if spawning I think their colours are really standing out. Even the red in their eyes.

LUCKY STIFF!!!!!! :D They look really nice.

Fair warning, I've already started contacting places for fish to bring home in May :brows: :D (My old buddy just told me I was crazy to get back into this lol. :ROFLMAO:)

LUCKY STIFF!!!!!! :D They look really nice.

Fair warning, I've already started contacting places for fish to bring home in May :brows: :D (My old buddy just told me I was crazy to get back into this lol. :ROFLMAO:)

Thank you. I was hoping had chosen well. The amount of eggs they laid puts my koi angels to shame and I have those coming out if my ears. It took awhile to coax them from out of the back of the tank. I ended having to put gravel down and that did the trick. Like you said earlier in this thread you have to try multiple things with angels to get things to work.
How extensive are you planning on getting into it? 300 pairs again ;) lol

Thank you. I was hoping had chosen well. The amount of eggs they laid puts my koi angels to shame and I have those coming out if my ears. It took awhile to coax them from out of the back of the tank. I ended having to put gravel down and that did the trick. Like you said earlier in this thread you have to try multiple things with angels to get things to work.
How extensive are you planning on getting into it? 300 pairs again ;) lol

What's nice about them , and this might sound strange, but you have silvers with all their stripes that are complete stripes. We are not seeing those down here in FL all that often. That was one of the comments from my wholesaler buddy that got me going on this in the first place. :facepalm:

As for how many will I do? It's up in the air at the moment. I have 3 large tanks and my neighbor has 2- 150 gal vats that I can use, depending on how many fish I find along the way, to let the fish settle down from the trip and acclimate to my water here. Most likely, I will be making my own pairs from whatever I get. I still know some secrets how :brows: :lol: Plus, I haven't put up the building yet so I can make it as large or small as I need. I guess it's time I check out my compressor and see if it still works. :whistle:

What's an average spawn size from your Koi s Ray and Bob?

I haven't actually tried to count but based on my sale of 50 and seeing the percentage that was I speculate the first spawn was 350-400. Each spawn had gotten bigger with the latest I believe is maybe 550. Is there an efficient way to count them?

I haven't actually tried to count but based on my sale of 50 and seeing the percentage that was I speculate the first spawn was 350-400. Each spawn had gotten bigger with the latest I believe is maybe 550. Is there an efficient way to count them?

I go by number of fish sold. If they spawn 1000 eggs but continually only have 200 that can sell, I figure the 200 not the 1000

well on my koi i get a 75 % grow out and the blacks i get about 50 to 60 % and the blues i get 50 % and on the orange pearlscale i get 75 %. as they get older my hatch and grow out rate seam to improve. i also keep my waters pristine and all breeding tanks at 82* and grow out tanks at 80*. i have noticed in the grow out tanks if the temp is higher they grow faster but not as big and briliant colors as they are in 80*.

What do you do with the other 800?
If that's the case, the others are probably not salable so they would be culls. That's not a good ratio in my book.

Bob, Higher temps do make fish grow faster but you'd need to up their food consumption to help bring out their mature colors as well. This becomes more work so I too kept my fish at 78-80 degrees. My warehouse was air conditioned to keep the temps constant. ( My landlord thought I was nuts :lol:) That's why I am looking into Solar for the a/c and compressor :brows:

as soon as mine are large enough to eat shrimp - blood worms -and other good enhancing foods they get fed sometime up to 4 times a day . the orange and blues in mine are very brilliant witch is something we don't see much of over here. some people argue with me about it helping with the black stripes and black in the koi but i believe thats why the black is so bright and compleet stripes also. please correct me if im wrong

as soon as mine are large enough to eat shrimp - blood worms -and other good enhancing foods they get fed sometime up to 4 times a day . the orange and blues in mine are very brilliant witch is something we don't see much of over here. some people argue with me about it helping with the black stripes and black in the koi but i believe thats why the black is so bright and compleet stripes also. please correct me if im wrong

Bob: What I was trying to bring out was that at higher temps, sometimes the fish's body grows faster than "mechanics" of the fish. At lower temps, they seem to grow together. I can't explain it, just an observation from the past. ;)

Before the freeze here in FL about 3 years ago, you couldn't go to any Angel farmer's pond and not see good quality Silvers with complete stripes and good shape. After the freeze, most of the farmers here lost not only their pond stocks but also their breeding stocks. It's just been a "nightmare" ( according to my wholesaler friend) to find any good Angels here since then. Hence my desire to bring back stock from other indoor breeders from up North (y)

Bob: What I was trying to bring out was that at higher temps, sometimes the fish's body grows faster than "mechanics" of the fish. At lower temps, they seem to grow together. I can't explain it, just an observation from the past. ;)

Before the freeze here in FL about 3 years ago, you couldn't go to any Angel farmer's pond and not see good quality Silvers with complete stripes and good shape. After the freeze, most of the farmers here lost not only their pond stocks but also their breeding stocks. It's just been a "nightmare" ( according to my wholesaler friend) to find any good Angels here since then. Hence my desire to bring back stock from other indoor breeders from up North (y)

Ontario Canada is North. You're more than welcome here!:D

Ontario Canada is North. You're more than welcome here!:D

Sorry Ray, That's too far North & West of where I will be ;) :D

On a different note, I will be visiting the newest incarnation of a pet store that was one of my 2 "go to" stores as a kid. It still has the same owner as then too :D Time may have moved on and the area may have had many "improvements" but this store was what a real Mom & Pop shop could be. Talk about impressive, they used to have a koi pool right in the front inside corner of the store. It was big enough to have a walking bridge for more than 10 people over it! :eek: I can't wait to see it again!!!!! :D

if my timing is right, i should have batch #7 tomorrow. Did a water change and cleaned things up, and I see tubes already.

In other news......I went to one of my LFS that I havent been to in a while (to see if they will take my saltwater fish), and they had one of their tanks with a bunch of tiny angelfish. I didn't like them because they all looked stunted to me. they were a little bigger than the small ones I bought a few weeks ago (from another store), however the ones I bought had long fins on them. None of these had any long fins or anything. I didn't think to take a pic. I was extremely disappointed in what I saw :(

Of the new pair that I have in my community tank upstairs the male is really picking on the female. At times he's got a really good bite at get fins. Is this courtship or is there something wrong. Her fins look fine but he's starting to do a number on them.

well phooey. might have a delay in the schedule. I just knew i would have eggs tonite, but noticed the tank felt awfully cold. temp is only 76. think the heater is on the fritz, just went and got another one and installed it. their love nest wasnt ready yet, but it might be now. parameters werent to my liking.

there's alot of moisture inside the heater, is it cracked perhaps? it's a Marineland heater, and altho my salty tank is alright, i see moisture in that one as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom