Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
img_2724885_0_2c3b813e7f3053bea3cd62d7cf76dcb3.jpg

Inside the tube... i forgot to drill the first set of holes before siliconing the tube to the foam... oops.

Ingenious, industrious minds can't remember everything!!! LOL That looks great!

My blue pair layed today and they did it while at work so i put a breeder net and some air under it to get movement and and hopefully gonna get wigglers this time. Not many were left but man the male is pissed i took his eggs and is attacking the air hose. If they are viable ill set a wiggler tank up tomorrow after work.

Well I was hoping that my 2 Koi Veils were gonna be a pair but today, scaredy Koi finally showed her gender and layed a huge amount of eggs. Unfortunately, she kept the other, bigger, Koi veil with her at bay while she spawned. Talk about disappointment!!! I was all set to have a pure line of Kois/ Koi Veils but now I just have 3 egg laying females with no males to fertilize the eggs. :( The Koi male I had paired with the Gold has come down with popeye so he is being treated in a separate tank. I've used 2 different meds on him with no luck yet. Now using Epsom salt and vitamins to see if I can get him back into shape. I need to get some males!!!!!!! ( And a better camera to take better pics of my swimmers :D )

Lol i have 5 adults, only 1 is male... so i know how you feel andy. But in the other hand i have 3 different color combos to try(if my marble would stop beating up the male when she is with him at least) 3 of my females are from the same batch tho so i cant even cross their young very much as they are cousins... thinking about putting my black zebra with him for a bit tho, as she has only spawned once, and i really wanna see what patterns and colors i get from that pairing!!!

Lol i have 5 adults, only 1 is male... so i know how you feel andy. But in the other hand i have 3 different color combos to try(if my marble would stop beating up the male when she is with him at least) 3 of my females are from the same batch tho so i cant even cross their young very much as they are cousins... thinking about putting my black zebra with him for a bit tho, as she has only spawned once, and i really wanna see what patterns and colors i get from that pairing!!!

Well I do have the 2 pairs that are producing (small amounts tho :( )
My problem is I need to match colors as my buyers want specific colors and the best way to get those are by breeding similar phynotypes. So I have 1- Gold Marble, 1-Gold, 1-Koi, 1- Zebra veil, 1, Silver veil, 1- ungendered Koi Veil and a sick Male Koi. I think I need to make another trip to get me some mates for these fish :D
( I think I'm mad at all you guys for getting me back into this mess!!!!!!!!! :banghead::banghead::facepalm::facepalm::blink::blink::D:lol::ROFLMAO: )

Lol i have a smokey veil, a standard silver a broadfin silver(maybe wrong term, she has longer fins than her sisters and produces more veils, but isnt a veil...), a marble, and a black zebra... the smokey veil is my boy. And the 2 silvers and black zebra are sisters, which is why i get zebra from the silvers i think... still not 100% on how recessive genes work...

I have the male with the longer finned silver as she is who he picked when i first got him, and they produce a lot of fry!!! I get 5 patterns from them, smokey, silver, zebra, spotted, and a swirled zebra. Im gonna develop lines from the last 2 as they look really cool!!! Im also getting a silver/zebra mix, where the extra stripes are lines of dots...

Lol i have a smokey veil, a standard silver a broadfin silver(maybe wrong term, she has longer fins than her sisters and produces more veils, but isnt a veil...), a marble, and a black zebra... the smokey veil is my boy. And the 2 silvers and black zebra are sisters, which is why i get zebra from the silvers i think... still not 100% on how recessive genes work...

Google "Punnett Square" and you'll see how to determine what should be coming out of your fish. ;) Since you'll be starting with just the phynotype models, there will be some errors but as you get more into the genotype, then you will really know what to expect.
(I flipped out my 3rd & 4th grade teachers when I already knew more about genetics then they did. I had learned it all from breeding fish :D I was only 9 years old too :lol:)

Lol idk about my males genetics at all, and only reason i know the 3 sisters is i picked them from about 30 pf their siblings. I suspect marble genes in them also...

Lol idk about my males genetics at all, and only reason i know the 3 sisters is i picked them from about 30 pf their siblings. I suspect marble genes in them also...

That's just it, until you know the genetics, the Punnett square will only be a good guess. But once you KNOW, watch out, it's very accurate :D
As for guessing, back in the day, I used to get my best black Angels from a Marble/ Gold pair. Who'd have guessed? Obviously someone had some black gene in their pool. :lol:

What's popeye? I understand your frustration. I lost my female koi. I really couldn't figure out why but lately have some strange losses and then they stopped as suddenly as they started. Of course I started with the water which checked out. The gills were all closed. Now in her case she did have trauma to her eye but that was healed up and it didn't prevent her from spawning. I'm also trying to empty out my tanks as I want to begin my fishroom renos/expansion. It seems the koi is a better seller though as my silvers aren't moving as fast. Currently I have 2 silver pearlscale pairs, a silver pair, a black male and silver female pair (just started so no fry yet), a black marble pair (laid twice since acquiring them but very tiny spawns). I wonder if they're past their prime. Don't know their age but they are very large. I also have some of the koi offspring that I've kept since the beginning of the breeding back in January. One has begun to lay eggs with hopes the black male would fertilize. Instead he just ate the eggs from the slate and was constantly chased her away from the slate. Would it be wise or not to put her in with her father?

Hi everyone,
My pearls spawned this past Saturday right after I cleaned the tank. It was like they were waiting for me to do the water change and clean the bottom lol. When I arrive home yesterday I didn't see the eggs so I thought they had eaten them again and then I noticed the female kept going over to the sponge filter so I looked closely at the sponge and sure enough they had moved them onto the sponge filter. Go figure!

What's popeye? I understand your frustration. I lost my female koi. I really couldn't figure out why but lately have some strange losses and then they stopped as suddenly as they started. Of course I started with the water which checked out. The gills were all closed. Now in her case she did have trauma to her eye but that was healed up and it didn't prevent her from spawning. I'm also trying to empty out my tanks as I want to begin my fishroom renos/expansion. It seems the koi is a better seller though as my silvers aren't moving as fast. Currently I have 2 silver pearlscale pairs, a silver pair, a black male and silver female pair (just started so no fry yet), a black marble pair (laid twice since acquiring them but very tiny spawns). I wonder if they're past their prime. Don't know their age but they are very large. I also have some of the koi offspring that I've kept since the beginning of the breeding back in January. One has begun to lay eggs with hopes the black male would fertilize. Instead he just ate the eggs from the slate and was constantly chased her away from the slate. Would it be wise or not to put her in with her father?

Popeye is actually a condition where the eye protrudes from the socket giving it a Popped Out appearance. It's usually caused by one of 2 ways: Injury and subsequent infection of the eye or internal infection that forces the eyeball out of it's socket. There is a 3rd way which is from over oxygenation of the water which is caused by too many small bubbles in the water. (With todays filters and air supply methods, this way is not as common as it used to be.)
The good news is that one eyed fish can and do still spawn so if he loses the eye it's not the end of the world HOWEVER, now he seems to be bloated too even though he is defecating so there is an internal thing going on which may not have a happy ending :( But he still wants to eat so that's a good sign for the time being. )

It sounds like those large fish are on the downside of their spawning life. Smaller spawns are a typical sign of this. It's why I always like to get pre-breeder sized fish and let them grow some more. This way you have a longer productive spawning period with them.

FYI: the Black/ Silver pairing should over time produce some 1/2 Black Angels. You'll want to keep some of those offspring to breed back to the parents to help lock in the gene. I was working on that when my Blacks and Silver fish pooped out. I have a friend who says he has some for me but who knows until I see them ;) )

Which brings me to the point of "Insestial breeding", it's how new colors are made :brows: The first pairing to lock up a gene is Mother/Son and Father/ Daughter. The offspring from them then need to be bred to each other then you breed direct Brother/ Sister pairs so it's not a big deal that you bred Father/ Daughter. He may not have been up for spawning which is why he ate the eggs or he may have thought she was intruding on HIS mate's territory, etc. So many possibilities to know for sure. I'd keep those 2 isolated together to see what happens next time they spawn.

Good luck on the reno. You need MORE TANKS!!!!!!!!!! :D (y)

Hi everyone,
My pearls spawned this past Saturday right after I cleaned the tank. It was like they were waiting for me to do the water change and clean the bottom lol. When I arrive home yesterday I didn't see the eggs so I thought they had eaten them again and then I noticed the female kept going over to the sponge filter so I looked closely at the sponge and sure enough they had moved them onto the sponge filter. Go figure!

Congrats!! (y) This is why you really need to study your fish to understand "Normal" vs "Abnormal" behavior. A new or different behavior usually means Something's up ;)

Congrats!! (y) This is why you really need to study your fish to understand "Normal" vs "Abnormal" behavior. A new or different behavior usually means Something's up ;)

Thanks Andy, I am guessing that they might have moved them because of my tiny toy poodle. The tank sits right behind a chair and she gets up on the back of the chair sometimes and she will scratch at the tank because she sees the fish in there. The pearls will come right up to the glass and look at her like she has lost her mind. Lol. It's funny to watch but I am thinking that I need to move the chair so she can't scratch on the tank. She might be stressing them out. And they may be thinking that she's going to get the eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom