Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well at least there was some compensation. ;) Gad to hear they "stepped up". from here on out, remember, prevention is the best medicine. Take no chances! 1 dead fish is better than a whole tank wipeout. :D

Did a bucket water change and added the meds and also added some Epsom salts, hopefully to aid healing. The little fish maybe was able to eat today, I can't tell but it tried and swam up right twice and I figured it would be dead a week ago. I don't want to get my hopes up, but tonight after work it kinda swam up a little when I walked over to check on it, so I know it is feeling better. Hopefully tomorrow it can eat something.

Well I put both my males with their wives, and both pairs layed today!!! Yay babies... but I was wondering... could I put my smokey/silver pair's eggs with the gold/gold marble pair to care for with their eggs??? They are better parents.

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well I put both my males with their wives, and both pairs layed today!!! Yay babies... but I was wondering... could I put my smokey/silver pair's eggs with the gold/gold marble pair to care for with their eggs??? They are better parents.

Unfortunately, no one can give you that answer. You have to try it to find out. Conventional wisdom with wild fish would be that the pair would eat the new eggs from the other pair. In today's fish, who knows? You may get away with doing it if you add the slate the same day the other pair spawns so they hopefully don't notice a difference. If you add them when they are getting ready to spawn, they would, by all accounts, clean them off the site to prepare for their spawn. You might mix the fry better if you do it the same day they both become free swimming ( or very shortly there after.)
Bottom line, if you try it, be prepared to lose the spawn :(

OK. Both spawns were layed just hours apart... looks like I'm prob gonna be setting the 20g back up. I had just switched the few fry I had left from the gold/gold marbles last successful spawn to a 10g from the 20 as they couldn't find food and weren't growing anymore, they were starving instead. They are growing again now tho. But still small. I'm gonna suck of up and just deal with BBS for these 2 batches and see if I have better results. Then I just have the issue of where to put my larger fry as well as my 11 guppy fry currently in the 10g... I need filters!!! And heaters.

OK. Both spawns were layed just hours apart... looks like I'm prob gonna be setting the 20g back up. I had just switched the few fry I had left from the gold/gold marbles last successful spawn to a 10g from the 20 as they couldn't find food and weren't growing anymore, they were starving instead. They are growing again now tho. But still small. I'm gonna suck of up and just deal with BBS for these 2 batches and see if I have better results. Then I just have the issue of where to put my larger fry as well as my 11 guppy fry currently in the 10g... I need filters!!! And heaters.

Welcome to the joys of breeding Angelfish. Shortcuts are mostly futile:blink: Too many fish to deal with, not enough tank space to do it in. :facepalm:

I just bought 3 more 20s from the PETCO sale only because my car couldn't handle more. Once the building is up, I'm renting a van for the next sale :whistle: ( I see a rack of 55s in my future:banghead: )

I have a rack set up in my basement, but I don't have the filters, or more importantly the heaters for them. I have plenty of tanks for the moment being... and lots of foam to make filters... need to find tubing to make the filters... I need a job so I can get all this stuff taken care of. But there are none in my area.

I have a rack set up in my basement, but I don't have the filters, or more importantly the heaters for them. I have plenty of tanks for the moment being... and lots of foam to make filters... need to find tubing to make the filters... I need a job so I can get all this stuff taken care of. But there are none in my area.

I hear ya ;) I have 3 empty 10 gals and 4- 20s just waiting for a new building to set them up in. I have overloaded my electrical capacity I fear so I'm stuck as well. No sense burning down my house for the fish :facepalm:

Here are some pics of filters I made for myself. I just use 1" PVC connectors and pipe or a 1" base ( for the sponge) then reduced down to 3/4" for the lift tube.
All of the parts besides the sponge are relatively cheap (under $1.00 each )with the sponges being the most expensive part of the filters. ( I buy replacement sponges to Lee's filters or Hydro Flo filters).
Hope this helps (y)

Attachments

• IMG_0042[1].jpg
    IMG_0042[1].jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0044[1].jpg
    IMG_0044[1].jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0050[1].jpg
    IMG_0050[1].jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 50
Thanx Andy!!! I'll have to look into it. I used old ugf tubes and sponge I got out of a shipping box of razors (from when I worked at Walmart last summer) the filters I made work great, but I'm now out of tubing as I made the filters for 20-29 g tanks...

I hear ya ;) I have 3 empty 10 gals and 4- 20s just waiting for a new building to set them up in. I have overloaded my electrical capacity I fear so I'm stuck as well. No sense burning down my house for the fish :facepalm:

Here are some pics of filters I made for myself. I just use 1" PVC connectors and pipe or a 1" base ( for the sponge) then reduced down to 3/4" for the lift tube.
All of the parts besides the sponge are relatively cheap (under $1.00 each )with the sponges being the most expensive part of the filters. ( I buy replacement sponges to Lee's filters or Hydro Flo filters).
Hope this helps (y)

Nice tip!

Well, checked on the tanks one last time before bed, and Leo, my smokey male, was snacking away on eggs. So I moved them to a jar, inside the 10g fry tank for now. There are a lot of dead eggs and I'm going to be away until Monday some time. I have no antifungals in it now as I'm not sure what I have that I can use. I have paraguard, ick guard by jungle, and rid-ich plus... which would you suggest?? Eggs have a good airstream around them and if I wasn't gonna be gone I wouldn't worry so much.

Well, checked on the tanks one last time before bed, and Leo, my smokey male, was snacking away on eggs. So I moved them to a jar, inside the 10g fry tank for now. There are a lot of dead eggs and I'm going to be away until Monday some time. I have no antifungals in it now as I'm not sure what I have that I can use. I have paraguard, ick guard by jungle, and rid-ich plus... which would you suggest?? Eggs have a good airstream around them and if I wasn't gonna be gone I wouldn't worry so much.

Use whichever one has methylene blue in it. ;)If non have it, don;t use them. Since there are a lot of dead eggs already, it may not matter if you put antifungals in there. (I've had small spawns with no meds in the water and the fry did fine. They hung onto the fuzz until they were free swimming so it didn;t hurt them being amongst the fungused eggs.)
Don;t you just love when the fish spawn when it's not a good time for you? lol My Gold/Zebra pair spawned again today and I have no place to put the eggs and I will be away when the fry need me the most. Oh well :(

Just finshed thread start to finnish . 20Hours on my smart phone . have no commputer.I'm definetly going to breed them but not till afrter i move this summer.

Did i mention i have a genericy smart phone so couldn't get app. browser on phone all 200 plus pages. all resized multiple times. id say I'm dedicated to learning hiw to breed them.

I have sleeping probkems so have been up 43 hours what kind of fish i want to keep and breed. i have a steady low income from disability andwant to hobby. i can manage all the lifting. I'm a big guy. i need something time cosuming. i have nothing else to do. i have a start up budget of 500 dollars. will be for after i move. will be in 1 bedrm apt. fish can be everywhere. i want to breed quality fish for good pheno and geno types. i will need to get every thing after i move. do not have any atnd want to get it shipped directly there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom