Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that a blue ghost and a dd lace? On the multies note i have a 20 gal long and love those crazy fish. I have 3 .5in long babies that are so neat.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here's my new pair and breeding tank (20 tall) what do you guys think?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you are going to hatch the eggs yourself, this set up is great. If you are going to let the parents do all the work, I'd the remove the gravel. It hides the food from the fry, creates an unhealthy environment for the fry and worst of all, can trap the fry between the grains. Bare bottom tanks are the best for raising Angel fry. (y)

This is a great thread. I've only made it to the 40th page, I haven't been able to read everything so I've been wondering... My angelfish laid eggs a few days ago and they're just at the wiggler stage now... I actually thought they ate them all so when I discovered there were still some eggs in the tank I was surprised. I have pebble substrate in the tank the parents and eggs are in now, so I'm going to have to move them to a bare 10 gallon tank with a turkey baster once they become free swimming. I'm wondering what PH should the 10 gallon tank be for the fry, and should I keep it at a steady temperature of 80 degrees or higher than that?

I'm also not sure how to move from tank to tank with a turkey baster since it leaks... I was thinking of taking a big jar and filling it with some of the tank water and squirting the fry into the jar, and then placing the jar into the 10 gallon and "pour" them in the tank that way. Just so the fry aren't leaking out of the baster as I walk from one side to the other. Does that sound okay? Any tips or advice for me? :confused:

This is a great thread. I've only made it to the 40th page, I haven't been able to read everything so I've been wondering... My angelfish laid eggs a few days ago and they're just at the wiggler stage now... I actually thought they ate them all so when I discovered there were still some eggs in the tank I was surprised. I have pebble substrate in the tank the parents and eggs are in now, so I'm going to have to move them to a bare 10 gallon tank with a turkey baster once they become free swimming. I'm wondering what PH should the 10 gallon tank be for the fry, and should I keep it at a steady temperature of 80 degrees or higher than that?

I'm also not sure how to move from tank to tank with a turkey baster since it leaks... I was thinking of taking a big jar and filling it with some of the tank water and squirting the fry into the jar, and then placing the jar into the 10 gallon and "pour" them in the tank that way. Just so the fry aren't leaking out of the baster as I walk from one side to the other. Does that sound okay? Any tips or advice for me? :confused:

The best thing you can do is duplicate exactly the tank parameters the fry are in now. Better yet, just use the water they are in now and transfer some of it to the other tank for them to be in. It's easier to replace water on the parents than the fry. If you have to do more than a standard water change amount you normally do, replace the water over a couple of days so that you are not over stressing the adults.

As for moving the fry, somewhere back about page 100 something ( I know, it's a long thread now.:blink: lol) I suggest that you use clear tubing to siphon the fry out of the main tank and into a container to transfer to the other tank if you are not able to siphon them directly into the other tank. I use a 1/4" or 3/8" diameter hose I get from the local Home Depot. I get clear so that I can see what's happening inside the hose in case there is a clog. By siphoning, you can control the speed of the siphon by raising or lowering the container that you are siphoning in to. You also don;t have that extra pressure on the fry that sucking with a baster can do to them.

Lastly, if you have the ability, I would move the wigglers now if you can. Once they start free swimming, you have a day before they really need to be fed. In all actuality, once the eggs hatch, the need for the parents is just for protection. You can move the wigglers without the parents and they will be just fine by themselves especially if you use the same water they are in now. They won;t know the difference. One of the games Angles play is called "Where's the fry?" LOL The longer you keep them with Mom & Dad, the greater the chances that they will hide them and you won;t find them. This is another reason why moving the eggs is a better way to go. (y)

Keep reading the thread. There's a lot of info in there :whistle:

Thanks! I'll definitely keep reading. I think I will probably transfer the wigglers into the tank now... Do I need an airstone in the 10 gallon tank, too? Or is it fine without one now that they're wigglers?

Thanks! I'll definitely keep reading. I think I will probably transfer the wigglers into the tank now... Do I need an airstone in the 10 gallon tank, too? Or is it fine without one now that they're wigglers?

Yes, they should have aeration through a sponge filter with an additional airstone if the water is too warm. You don;t want the water too hot (80-82 is fine) or the fry will develop too fast and may not grow correctly. (y)

ALSO... I just need to ask. It's kind of odd to me because it's just the two parents in one 30 gallon tank.. But I noticed the tail of my angelfish (I'm assuming the male one...) has been nipped off partly by the other one. That hasn't happened before! It had to be the female one that did it because she's the only other one in the tank. I just wonder why?

And thanks. So if the water is 80-82 degrees I wouldn't need an airstone in that tank?

ALSO... I just need to ask. It's kind of odd to me because it's just the two parents in one 30 gallon tank.. But I noticed the tail of my angelfish (I'm assuming the male one...) has been nipped off partly by the other one. That hasn't happened before! It had to be the female one that did it because she's the only other one in the tank. I just wonder why?

And thanks. So if the water is 80-82 degrees I wouldn't need an airstone in that tank?

It's not unusual for breeding pairs of Angels to scrap with each other for a number of reasons. Unless they look like they are really beating on each other, you have to let it go. Dents and dings come with breeding any cichlid. I've had many pairs that were great breeders but unsalable when they were done due to disfiguration. Unfortunately, that's the price you may have to pay if you want to breed them. :(
As for the airstone, it will depend on the amount of fry and the level of oxygenation you are getting from your sponge filter. Also, if you see pockets or areas of the tank where the water seems still, add an airstone. There needs to be circulation not necessarily turbulence. It's going to be a visual thing on your part. ;)

Keep reading (y)

Hoo! Ok! Page 80... haha, I'm getting there!

As I've been reading I've started to wonder... Water changes on the fry tanks. Should you still put the chemicals in the new water you're going to put into the tank? (The Cycle, tap water conditioner...) It wouldn't hurt the fry or anything, would it? And... When you're putting the fresh water into the fry tank, how do you get the water in without killing the babies? Pour it in with a cup, or somehow dripping it in?

Hoo! Ok! Page 80... haha, I'm getting there!

As I've been reading I've started to wonder... Water changes on the fry tanks. Should you still put the chemicals in the new water you're going to put into the tank? (The Cycle, tap water conditioner...) It wouldn't hurt the fry or anything, would it? And... When you're putting the fresh water into the fry tank, how do you get the water in without killing the babies? Pour it in with a cup, or somehow dripping it in?

That's covered in the thread as well. Read faster!!!! LOL :brows:

In the meantime..... :whistle:
What I do is take a piece of airline tubing and attach a piece of 3/16" clear rigid tubing to it so that I can direct the siphon to a particular spot where the excess food or detritus is and siphon it out. Since you are directing the siphon, you shouldn;t need to change a lot of water to have a clean tank. Try not to remove more than 10% of volume. You do want to add the water back slowly and that can be done either with a drip tube and valve or slowly pouring small amounts of the new water back into the tank. You can use the chemicals on the water for the fry but if possible, make up that water a day in advance to make sure all chemicals have been distributed throughout the new water. This helps age the water and helps adjust PH as well. Make sure you check and compare the PH before you add the water to the tank. (y)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409785672.980927.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409785686.319970.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409785697.914647.jpg
Can someone please help me??? I thought this Molly was pregnant and has been flat bellied for nearly four days now. Doesn't eat and has pooped for 3 days! Just hides away in the corner of the tank in the plants.
Came home tonight to find her...... Well bum wider than her eyes! Looks like a clear sack starting to make it's way through but it's hard to tell!
I've never seen this before in any of my mollies.
Is she doing a weird abort birth or ..... Yeah what lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is that a blue ghost and a dd lace? On the multies note i have a 20 gal long and love those crazy fish. I have 3 .5in long babies that are so neat.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry its been awhile since I've been able to post I was told the male is a blue silver and the female is a DD black possibly has some blue or gold marble, probably some zebra she's awhole bunch of things haha

Andy as far as the bare bottom tank I plan on turning this into a planted breeding tank... is there a better substrate to use then gravel? Right now I only have a very fine layer you can still see the glass on the bottom... do you think it'll be ok I do very frequent water changes...

Sorry its been awhile since I've been able to post I was told the male is a blue silver and the female is a DD black possibly has some blue or gold marble, probably some zebra she's awhole bunch of things haha

Andy as far as the bare bottom tank I plan on turning this into a planted breeding tank... is there a better substrate to use then gravel? Right now I only have a very fine layer you can still see the glass on the bottom... do you think it'll be ok I do very frequent water changes...

The best way is with no gravel or sand at all. If you want, put the plants in pots in the tank so you don;t have to have that much gravel in the tank and what ever food does get lost in the pots will be used by the plants as food. If you hatch out the eggs on your own outside of the parent tank, then you can do whatever you want in the main tank. The eggs won;t care. ;) (y)

The best way is with no gravel or sand at all. If you want, put the plants in pots in the tank so you don;t have to have that much gravel in the tank and what ever food does get lost in the pots will be used by the plants as food. If you hatch out the eggs on your own outside of the parent tank, then you can do whatever you want in the main tank. The eggs won;t care. ;) (y)

Ok Andy ill remove what I can tomorrow:) thanks

Oh and i +1 the book idea ill even write it for ya you can just tell me what to put down ill edit it and do the rest my moms an author so i even have connections(;

NOT the answer I was looking for...

It would be nice to have all the basic information in easy to find chapters and page numbers, just saying!

I understand but the Wigglers thread is not my thread. I just happen to have put all my info into it along with the others. If someone wanted to take the time to pull all the pertinent info out of that thread and make a "sticky/ how to guide" in another thread, I have no problem with that. I just don't have the time at the moment. I have a hatchery to build. :D (y)

I found one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :d

I only wish I could find those Red Caps again. They were amazing looking fish and truthfully, I like them better than the Koi strain. I can only assume that the Sunset Blushings are from the ones of the Red Caps that didn;t have much red? Who knows? ;)

In my efforts to see about getting some used tanks, I went to my local ( 35 miles away :( ) mom & pop fish shop. The owner was busy so of course I had to take a look at the fish section :D. And there it was.......... mixed in a tank of Koi Angels......... a Red cap! A smaller fish than the rest, more red on him than my old pair but it was RED! The fish is now in qt and unfortunately, any time I tried to get a good shot, he turned and faced the back of the tank so I had to put some food in so that's why it's looking upward. lol The last pic is from above so you can see all the red. There are no lights on, just diffused sunlight from the window behind the tank. There is no mistaking that color for anything but red. :D I only hope the internet shows it as well as the fish does. (y)

Attachments

• Red Cap 1.jpg
    Red Cap 1.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Red Cap 2.jpg
    Red Cap 2.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Red Cap Top View.jpg
    Red Cap Top View.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 42
Status
Not open for further replies.