Wild life photos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Red on black...pat it on the back!
I've seen my fair of snakes, from rattlers, copperheads, cottonmouth, to who know what else

Spring is here! 1491613341771.jpg
Caterpillars make me laugh... where are their eyes? (They don't have any, just light/dark sensing organs)

I saw a gorgeous red tailed hawk in my backyard hunting for vermin near a pile of sticks; wish I had a decent picture of it.
I'll leave this instead (not my bathroom) FFDB96C4-D991-435C-A24D-D857E503C278.jpg

Here is one from a couple summers ago, they as caterpillars eat these Milkweed Plants and we have caterpillars every year.
60074-albums14653-picture71081.jpg
Lay eggs on them and eat nectar. All purpose useful weed.

These are the Killdeer eggs, they raise babies behind our home each year too. Fun to watch. More and more of them every year!

60074-albums14653-picture71082.jpg

Last edited:
Here is one from a couple summers ago, they as caterpillars eat these Milkweed Plants and we have caterpillars every year.
60074-albums14653-picture71081.jpg
Lay eggs on them and eat nectar. All purpose useful weed.

These are the Killdeer eggs, they raise babies behind our home each year too. Fun to watch. More and more of them every year!

60074-albums14653-picture71082.jpg
Oh that's a very pretty tiger swallowtail! The caterpillars on the milkweed are monarch caterpillars, swallowtail caterpillars can't eat milkweed (I'm a bit of an insect enthusiast haha). I have lots of milkweed in my yard too but I had to plant it there on purpose (also because of the insect enthusiast thing) [emoji5]

Oh that's a very pretty tiger swallowtail! The caterpillars on the milkweed are monarch caterpillars, swallowtail caterpillars can't eat milkweed (I'm a bit of an insect enthusiast haha). I have lots of milkweed in my yard too but I had to plant it there on purpose (also because of the insect enthusiast thing) [emoji5]

Okay, that is even better!!!. Let me look for the pics of the caterpillers on the Milkweed. I have one of a brand new Monarch just opened from the Chrysalis on the reeds like behind the Milkweed.

What are the host plants for the Swallowtails?!? New plants coming to my yard now!!!

Tiger swallowtails use all sorts of trees, some are: alder trees, ash, aspen, poplar, and willow. There are more if you want to Google a list. There are Eastern tiger swallowtails and Western tiger swallowtails depending on where you are located, but I think the Western one is mostly just along the west coast area and the eastern one is the one that is in the rest of North America. The ugly caterpillars in my yard are Giant swallowtails and they use citrus trees.

I agree we have a garden post, why not, some of us spend a considerable amount of time on here. Some even catch native species for their aquarium.
Got these from Ferguson nc last week.1491635815626.jpg1491635824284.jpg

Tiger swallowtails use all sorts of trees, some are: alder trees, ash, aspen, poplar, and willow. There are more if you want to Google a list. There are Eastern tiger swallowtails and Western tiger swallowtails depending on where you are located, but I think the Western one is mostly just along the west coast area and the eastern one is the one that is in the rest of North America. The ugly caterpillars in my yard are Giant swallowtails and they use citrus trees.

They look like bird poop, good disguise.

Just loaded some more pics, will add them here tomorrow I just hadn't looked closely enough at the pics of the Monarch caterpillers, my pics are of MONARCHS, not Swallowtails. I am in Colorado..

60074-albums14653-picture71085.jpg

60074-albums14653-picture71084.jpg

And this one for fun with a filter

60074-albums14653-picture71086.jpg

Have been in California when the Monarchs were gathered /resting on their migration and looked like they were dripping from trees. Pacific Grove and Glendora. WOW!

Found maybe an American Dagger Moth too last year
60074-albums14653-picture71089.jpg

Back
Top Bottom