Will a CFL shatter in my tank if it gets wet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

siva

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just bought some regular CFL bulbs to replace my regular ones in my incandescent tanks, something I didn't know until recently you could even do (duh, I know zip about lighting). Now I'm starting to worry if this is a good idea for me. I've heard they will shatter if they get wet? Can this be true? I mean sure, I try not to get bulbs wet but there's condensation in there...

What IF, worse case scenario, somehow, the entire hood while turned on got dumped in the tank with CFL's in there, what would happen?

Well, that sounds like it would be bad news to me Siva... the whole hood falling in.

However, hundreds of folks have ran those CFL bulbs in their hoods on this site over the years, and I have yet to see 1 negative report. Not saying it couldn't happen, but I don't think it is any more risky than running any kind of electrical device over the top of a tank of water :)

Thanks fort. Of course I don't want to drop a lid in, lol, but I can't say it's never happened.

I purchased 13 watt which it said was a replacement for 60 watt, is this too bright for my fish? There's two in the 14/10 gals and one in the 5's.

I seriously have no idea what I'm doing lol

Nope, you go off the actual wattage, not the equivalency. That will be just fine for growing some low light plants.

OH my it's still low light? Sheesh. It looks so bright.

I would call it low light, yes. Verging on medium in the 10 gal, but low in the 14, and definitely low in 5.

Crap. There doesn't seem to be any higher wattage that will fit behind the guards..and I really don't want to take the guards off. Or maybe there is that I can order. I've only looked locally so far because I wasn't even sure what I'm looking for.

I had inititally bought, and was going to take back because they are 9.99 a peice but would be willing to keep if it's better, 2 Zoo Med Ultra Sun "super daylight mini compact self ballasted compact flourescents". 6500k/10 watt. It's lower wattage but it looks brighter in the tank. This one 14 gal I bought a few plants for that I've never had before and I'm hoping to keep them alive. I don't know what they all are but I know there is ludwiga, some sort of crypt, micro sword, pennywort, baby tears on lava rock. Any chance I can keep these alive in this 14?

They might live... You won't see much growth out of a few of those.

Skip the 10w bulbs. The fancy pkging and name won't help. 14w is better than ten, so long as the color temp is right.

Ok good. I'll do some research on what color temp is :)

That is the 6500k part.

If you bought "daylight" cfls I believe those are 10000k. Anything 6500-10000k will be appropriate for plants.

Coralife makes 10 and 20 watt CFL replacements for incandescents. They come in a Reef 50/50 and their Colormax (better for FW or plants). I had 4x20watts on a ten gallon and it did great.

Well I'm not exactly sure about some. I'll post some pics and maybe you'll recognize and, if you would be so kind, give me some advise.
Picture 067.jpg
1. This big beautiful thing..I guess it's some sort of anubias(sp?) and may be struggling because I initially had it's rhizome(sp?) in the substrate..I have pulled it out but not sure if it can recover?
Picture 081.jpg
2. This is Argentine sword, right? That's what they call it at petco anyway. Usually they do pretty good in my tanks but this newer one is looking terrible. Is it because it's a newer tank and no poo in the substrate, maybe?
Picture 068.jpg
3. I'm pretty sure this was a start off of another argentine sword..it just blew up and was looking really good but now it's got some holes and the brilliant green color isn't so brilliant...is something eating it?
Picture 078.jpg
4. No idea what this is. It looks nice though and I don't want it to die.

Picture 073.jpg
5. What is this? I'm not even sure which end to plant...lol
Picture 098.jpg
6. I think this is a crypt? It's not doing so hot.
Picture 101.jpg
7. I've got these in a few tanks..this one is doing the best..I have one in each of my 20 gals..they have just their stock fl. lights..they aren't doing well in there.
Picture 109.jpg
8. I have this substrate in the majority of my tanks..this isn't great for plants is it?

Any advice?? I'm going to the lfs in a bit..should I pick up some type of fert?

I couldn't find root tabs. All I could get locally is Tetra Plant Flora Pride. Should I use it? I can order whatever. I got more plants I haven't had before too. I wish I could get the names of them when I buy them lol. The best I could do on bulbs is 10 watts that are 6500k. This better than my 13 watt 2700k?

Back
Top Bottom