Will a serpent sea star attack featherdusters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lance M.

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am planning on getting a banded serpent and I was looking at a cluster duster, the group of small feather dusters, on etropicals.com and it said that it should not be housed with predatory fish or serpent stars. I have one large featherduster and I might pick up a cluster.

So I'm thinking the serpent will only attack them if it doesn't have enough food.

Ok thanks so I shouldn't have anything to worry about if I feed regularly. Also I have these little frozen salad shrimp (lol) and am wondering if I thaw them and throw like 2 in there at night will it eat them?

If you know there`s a chance why get them? I would stay with one or the other.

I actually have a big feather and my serpant is sitting right next to it. Is this dangerous for big feathers? I would hate to lose my feather.

I have a serpent star and two feather dusters living happily in the tank together. No problems. But of course as with all things in nature, specimen can be the exception and run roughshod destroying tank-life.

I keep the star fed regulary, he comes out during feeding time when he smells food in the water and takes what falls to the bottom. He is a great cleaner and I often see him in the moonlights crawling across the rocks getting into the nooks and crannies pulling stuff out to munch on.

Personally, if my feather duster (or any animal) is dying, I would want him to be eaten so that he doesn't decay in the tank.

Just saw what you were talking about on etropicals.com. Only mentions this for the Cluster Duster, not the Feather Duster.

yea I just got a banded serpent and put him in. He is underneath some rocks right next to my big feather duster lol. It seems ok.

guys would feeding them the shrimp be ok?

Lance M. said:
yea I just got a banded serpent and put him in. He is underneath some rocks right next to my big feather duster lol. It seems ok.

guys would feeding them the shrimp be ok?

He will love you for it.

Just make sure it is the uncooked kind and cut up into pieces so that he doesn't discard what he doesn't want and foul the tank.

If you hold it just under the surface the water for a few seconds, just watch him shoot out from under the rocks when he finally catches a whiff of it. You can give it to him with some tongs, or your hand, he won't hurt you, at least mine doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom