Will dwarf gouramis be happy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KTpoopenstein

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 15g column (12x12x24” LxWxH), planted with a tetra whisper 40 filter. I currently have 3 peppered cories, a serpae tetra and 3 nerite snails. I'd like to add a few new fish in the near future, and I've had gouramis in the past, but I'm not sure if they'll have enough room in my tank (I had them in a 29g before). If not, what could I add? I want something with some color and that will be active. The one serpae tetra I have is the last of 6, and they pretty much always hid under my driftwood.

But just one huh? Any suggestions for others that would be happy? I loved my neon/cardinal tetras (it's been so long I couldn't tell you which they were) back in the day, but I'll be happy with anything that has some color and actually swims around rather than hiding all the time!

Yeah, definitely no more than one. That size tank is really really restricting. There just isn't much you can put in there due to the footprint. It's close to the same as stocking a 5 gallon tank without being able to keep a betta in it.

I guess I would have this at most as a stocking:
5 serpae tetras
1 powder blue dwarf gourami
4 pygmy corys

I would return the peppered corys and replace them with pygmys. That tank really isn't suited to them.

I absolutely do not want serpae tetras again. The only time I ever saw them was when my platy who died a few months ago would chase them out of hiding.

Possible fish types with color would be neon or cardinal tetra's, endler males, possibly some of the smaller killifish species, or have you considered getting some of the more colorful small shrimp like Fire Red Cherry Shrimp.

Possible fish types with color would be neon or cardinal tetra's, endler males, possibly some of the smaller killifish species, or have you considered getting some of the more colorful small shrimp like Fire Red Cherry Shrimp.

I've thought about shrimp, but I've never had them before so I'm not really sure what kind of care they'd require. How many neons or cardinal tetras could I reasonably have. I know they're happiest in schools so I'd assume they'd be best with at least 5 or 6, but since they're small could I do a few more?

I have 10 neons, 1 betta, and 5 endler males in a 12g for over a year now. I don't have shrimp since I have a betta. But if you did neons and a DG you could do 8 small shrimp. Just be sure to do 50% weekly WC's to keep water quality good.

I have 10 neons, 1 betta, and 5 endler males in a 12g for over a year now. I don't have shrimp since I have a betta. But if you did neons and a DG you could do 8 small shrimp. Just be sure to do 50% weekly WC's to keep water quality good.

Awesome! I'll have to go see what I can find! Thankfully my tank is finally well cycled (that took forever!) and is reasonably heavily planted so the water quality stays pretty stable. Even when I've let it go a little longer than I should between WC's ammonia and nitrite are always zero and nitrate under 10ppm.

Do shrimp require any different care/food than fish? Anything I can't use with them?

Awesome! I'll have to go see what I can find! Thankfully my tank is finally well cycled (that took forever!) and is reasonably heavily planted so the water quality stays pretty stable. Even when I've let it go a little longer than I should between WC's ammonia and nitrite are always zero and nitrate under 10ppm.

Do shrimp require any different care/food than fish? Anything I can't use with them?

Medications are really hit and miss with shrimp. Definitely no copper. But they really are quite hardy. Mine seem to appreciate some bottom feeder wafer bits but that's the only thing I do special for them.

Awesome! I'll have to see what I can find. I have algae wafers and sinking catfish pellets (although that would make them cannibals...) and another sinking pellet food so they should have plenty of options.

8 new neon tetras and 5 cherry shrimp have been purchased and are currently floating in the tank. Thanks for the help! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392247174.381627.jpg

Will do. I just transferred them out of the bags a little while ago and a couple of them got to work on some of the gunk on my amazon swords. I noticed when I was adding some tank water to their bag earlier that one of them has a clutch of eggs so I may have a few more before long!

I've had my shrimp for a couple of months now and the 5 I originally bought are now about 30...I'm on at least the second round of babies! They are diligent cleaners, but I have to say, they poop a LOT! At first I thought it might've been detritus from some java moss that has wrapped itself around my air line, since that's where I noticed most of it, but after watching it fall from the...uh...source, I've realized they are just finding a feast in the moss! I love watching them though!

Back
Top Bottom