Wisteria as a carpeting plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It will get way tall. Below is a shot of what it looks like after about 2 months growth in a 30" tall low tech tank. It was about 6" when I planted it, it's now just shy of the water surface. I just trimmed about a pound off of it.

i-cvKvXc3-XL.jpg

Yea, and it grows fast. I figured I'd just keep cutting and replanting the stems to fill in more of the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm going to let it grow in the back back.

Yeah, that's what I figured and after a while it will get dense and you won't even be able to see the bottom.

Please do post back in a few months and say how it worked. That's just such an extreme difference from normal height it will be interesting to see if it stays healthy trimmed that much.

Kind of like trying to train an oak tree into a hedge.

I haven't really trimmed it since I started this thread so it's not bad. I'm going to trim it down some this week. It's weird because instead of growing higher they're just growing runners from the side.

I've thought about this myself but this stuff grows out like mad also. It very weed like to me and honestly makes me think its crazy roots could choke out competing plants and steal nutrients. I've got a java fern in the middle of a bunch of wisteria I've been thinking of relocating.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh Java fern usually doesn't survive having its roots buried because if the ribosome gets buried the plant will rot.

I have a question as I am creating a similar tank. How do I vacuum the substrate with plants, especially if I get a carpeting effect going? Does decaying plant matter and leftover food cause issues in planted tanks?

I don't vacuum the vacuum the bottom of my tank. I take water out from the top or middle. If you see some decaying plant matter you could put your siphon over it and suck it up.

needs desperate triming unless i just turn that side of the tank into a jungle?

I trim mine and it stays a jungle, it runs under/over/around everything.

I found crypts to be a better "tall" carpet. Here are some that I planted in early September.

i-np98csx-XL.jpg

These planted 10/25.

i-29GxJzG-XL.jpg

Based on some in another tank I planted in May, I think they are going to stabalize around 6" or so tall, heavy canopy and space underneath for fish/etc to hide.

Back
Top Bottom