Words on bio-active sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whobe143

Aquarium Advice Regular
There is a bio-active live sand that says it eliminates cycling. Does this sand actually work and does it affect anything in the long run?

Some people think "live" sand is just a gimmick. Any sand will become "live" over time as micro organisms and bacteria inhabit it. IMO, I do think that live sand does shorten cycling time. I used live rock and live sand and my cycling time was shorter than I projected. Make sure to check the date on the back of the package; it is time sensitive.

trackfast said:
Some people think "live" sand is just a gimmick. Any sand will become "live" over time as micro organisms and bacteria inhabit it. IMO, I do think that live sand does shorten cycling time. I used live rock and live sand and my cycling time was shorter than I projected. Make sure to check the date on the back of the package; it is time sensitive.

It says that you "just add fish"! It's a natures ocean product sold at petco.

I wouldn't consider it live at all, at least no more alive than dry sand with some bacterial supplement squirted on it.

Fishguy2727 said:
I wouldn't consider it live at all, at least no more alive than dry sand with some bacterial supplement squirted on it.

But can you really just add fish ?

I found that its still the cycle but they put just add fish because that's what you do normally

If you're cruel and wealthy, sure just add fish! lol I don't remember reading that on the package. I would still allow time for cycling.

trackfast said:
If you're cruel and wealthy, sure just add fish! lol I don't remember reading that on the package. I would still allow time for cycling.

Also what would u say would be the best testing kits

What should all the levels be at

well for a cycle you should see ammonia go up, then nitrIte go up, then both fall to 0ppm, then nitrAtes should be <20ppm

me personally with live sand did nothing to speed my cycle at all, and i had LR, a CUC and fish (i know i did it all wrong, and if i could go back i definitely wouldve done fishless.

as for test kits i suggest the API Master saltwater test kit, make sure you get the saltwater and not the reef (if you decide to do a reef thats for later)

iDreamInSaltwater said:
well for a cycle you should see ammonia go up, then nitrIte go up, then both fall to 0ppm, then nitrAtes should be <20ppm

me personally with live sand did nothing to speed my cycle at all, and i had LR, a CUC and fish (i know i did it all wrong, and if i could go back i definitely wouldve done fishless.

as for test kits i suggest the API Master saltwater test kit, make sure you get the saltwater and not the reef (if you decide to do a reef thats for later)

So I I do decide to do a reef I have to cycle twice?

no, the reef test kit is for later, it tests different chemicals in the tank that the basic SW one does that you need

iDreamInSaltwater said:
no, the reef test kit is for later, it tests different chemicals in the tank that the basic SW one does that you need

Well I have an old test kit for reef when would I test for that and do the tests expire?

I've used live-sand from the bags in conjuction with live rock before. It still needs to cycle, I did the shrimp thing. It was quick, but it was a matter of weeks (3) not days. The one thing to take away from this site if nothing else is there are no shortcuts.

yeah those would be tested i would say when you start having some corals and whatnot. personally with the lights i have i cant keep many corals so i dont think ill have to test unless i see something wrong because my corals arent very picky when it comes to water params etc.

iDreamInSaltwater said:
yeah those would be tested i would say when you start having some corals and whatnot. personally with the lights i have i cant keep many corals so i dont think ill have to test unless i see something wrong because my corals arent very picky when it comes to water params etc.

Well I have read a ton more and I plan on putting 50/50 20watt bulbs in and doing a fishless cycle. I also found an old 550 powerhead, is this ok for a 10g?

Back
Top Bottom