Would a 20g tank be too much for a betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitzo77

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello! I recently bought a 20 gallon tank from petco (24"L x 13"W x16"H)
Image1492207456.619647.jpg

My betta is currently in a 5gal tank and he seems to be pretty happy with where he is
Image1492207378.023967.jpg

I was planning on turning the 20gal into a betta sorority but was advised against it for now.
So I wanted to know if my male betta would be happier in this larger tank or if it would be too much space for him alone?

P.s. I was considering a community tank with the betta but then I remembered when I tried to put a snail with him he attacked it. So I think he is too aggressive to have tank mates.

Use some water from his current tank to speed up the process

I may need to wait until I can find a lid for the need tank since i heard bettas can jump, i also need to get a big enough filter that wont blow him around.

I will probably buy some tetra safe start plus to jumpstart it (fishless this time, I've learned from my mistakes lol)

Edit: I might also use water and media from my 45 gal to help too.

If the old tank only has one fish, just use that filter inline with the new filter? (If there is one) for a couple of weeks.
Fish etc can all go in on day one. (Just make sure temps are up high like they should be)

Should run smooth, with minimal fuss regarding water quality.

And well done for asking is this too much space!
I think that's the first time I heard that one!
Normally it's, will this be enough!

:invasion:

If the old tank only has one fish, just use that filter inline with the new filter? (If there is one) for a couple of weeks.

Fish etc can all go in on day one. (Just make sure temps are up high like they should be)

Should run smooth, with minimal fuss regarding water quality.

And well done for asking is this too much space!

I think that's the first time I heard that one!

Normally it's, will this be enough!

:invasion:

My 45 has two filters onto it so I was thinking of just replacing one of the filters media, and putting it in the new tanks filter.

IMG_8627.jpg
IMG_8628.jpg
IMG_8626.jpg
IMG_8625.jpg

Also, I have two spare heaters and I dont know which one to use?
The small one is a tetra preset 100w (im guessing because it looks identical to my current heater) but it looks too small.

I also have a larger XiLong adjustable 300w, but it looks too big??

How many watts do i need for a 20?

3 to 5w per gallon a good range based on climate and location of tank.

I dont recommend pre set heaters.

I feel like the 300w is overkill then. And the preset is set to 78F which is good for bettas I read. Could I use the preset unless i need to raise the temp for medical reasons?

My 45 has two filters onto it so I was thinking of just replacing one of the filters media, and putting it in the new tanks filter.

That'll work, but if you've no other fish it's just easier to move ALL the filters over. (Or all the media if the new filter can take it)
You lose some biological filtration if the substrate etc. stays behind.

Perfect answer!

Not a betta expert. I think some need be 80.

Ive read mixed information about it, from 75-80 to 78-82. Most places say that below 74 is too cold and above 85 is too hot.

Should i go with the large heater and set it to 80 to be safe?

A 100w adjustable heater would work. But nothing wrong with bigger

Back
Top Bottom