Would a 20g tank be too much for a betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow!! Do you have pictures? He must look so tiny!!
Lol sadly I don't as it was back in my old home before I got into forums and such (would have taken a pic cause of that).
Wasn't as small as you would think though! bare bottom and for a while he was the only thing in it, before I got into aquascaping and all that junk :)

Lol sadly I don't as it was back in my old home before I got into forums and such (would have taken a pic cause of that).
Wasn't as small as you would think though! bare bottom and for a while he was the only thing in it, before I got into aquascaping and all that junk :)

Aww lol it must've looked awesome

I moved him into the 20gal today! I first scooped him up in the little betta cup he was bought in. Then I drained his current tank water, sand, and decorations into the 20g. I also moved his current filter over and rinsed my 45gal's filter media into the tank to give it some extra bacteria.
I filled the rest of his tank with new water treated with seachem prime and api stress coat.
The water was cloudy for a few hours but it's cleared out now.
He seems to be settled in!
IMG_8649.JPG
IMG_8655.jpg

I wish he would accept tank mates but he's too aggressive even for snails... lol

I also need to get him a proper lid and light.. I'm scared of him jumping out.

to answer the main question; I had my betta by himself in a pristine seventy five gallon bare bottom.
Should be fine if not great.
sorry kitzo77 thought this was Another thread lol, this forum doesn't put emphasis on the notifications or page numbers like tpt, gotta get used to it :p

Could.....yes. Ive had open tops for over 15yrs now with no losses. Fish not scared, startled, or stressed typically don't jump.

Probably as many open top tanks as there are those with tops.

Could.....yes. Ive had open tops for over 15yrs now with no losses. Fish not scared, startled, or stressed typically don't jump.

Probably as many open top tanks as there are those with tops.

I first got him october 2016 and I've never seen him jump before so I dont think that he would jump out, but I will be an eye on him untill I can find a lid, or something to use in place of a lid

I doubt it. Im not a betta pro. But have had a few. I've heard of them jumping but ive never had a problem. I have one now in open top. Every one ive had has been in open tops.

Only fish ive ever had jump are hatchets...

I doubt it. Im not a betta pro. But have had a few. I've heard of them jumping but ive never had a problem. I have one now in open top. Every one ive had has been in open tops.

Only fish ive ever had jump are hatchets...

Thanks! I would be devastated to walk into seeing him on the floor so I wanted to be sure lol

With fish tanks, the bigger the better. And you can consider adding more fish if you want. I think your betta was only curious with the snail.

My beta is in a 20 tall heavily planted tank with a large school of 11 harlequin rasboras and some cory cats, and assassin and pond snails and everyone leaves each other alone and everyone is happy, been that way for 6 months now.

With fish tanks, the bigger the better. And you can consider adding more fish if you want. I think your betta was only curious with the snail.

Its possible that he was curious but he was aggressive with it sometimes. When I first had the snail he tried to bite it through the bag and when i released it, he kept biting at the shell. I also saw him bite the snail so it would fall off the walls of the tank.

Maybe I could get a darker colored snail.. but I think he's happy by himself

I will probably buy some tetra safe start plus to jumpstart it (fishless this time, I've learned from my mistakes lol)

Edit: I might also use water and media from my 45 gal to help too.
IMHO tetra safe start is complete junk. I would use Seachem stability instead. I have used the safestart and it didn't seem to do anything for me or my fishtank when I was trying to get it cycled. Also if you haven't got one already the best thing you could ever buy is a master api test kit. Carefully watch your ammonia levels as you cycle. Your cycling process should take a few weeks for a tank that size to restablish.

He'd definitely love it! I want to get a 50 gallon and place my betta in it with other peaceful schooling fish. Right now he is in a ten gallon planted.

IMHO tetra safe start is complete junk. I would use Seachem stability. I have used the safestart and it didn't seem to do anything for me or my fishtank when I was trying to get it cycled. Also if you haven't got one already the best thing you could ever buy is a master api test kit. Carefully watch your ammonia levels as you cycle and if ammonia becomes a problem seachem also makes a product called prime that will detoxify the ammonia. It won't remove it and it will still show on a test but it won't poison your betta. Your cycling process should take a few weeks for a tank that size to restablish. Reusing decorations filter media and substrate will also help speed that up.

I have the API test kit and prime already :)
I ended up using established media from my 45gallon fancy goldfish tank and his old filter media, sand, and decorations to get it going.

I have the API test kit and prime already :)
I ended up using established media from my 45gallon fancy goldfish tank and his old filter media, sand, and decorations to get it going.
It sounds like this old fish tank was broken down. Did the sand, media etc dry out at all before your betta tank was set up?

It sounds like this old fish tank was broken down. Did the sand, media etc dry out at all before your betta tank was set up?

I made sure to keep it all wet because I heard if it dried out it would die.. lol I was worried so I was working fast

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom