Would a large common pleco bother a bristlenose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovemybarbs

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I saw a bristlenose the other day at my LFS. The price wasn't bad, but I didn't buy it. It seems I saw someplace that the larger ones can get territorial.

Anyone have experience with this??

TIA!!

No-I have a 12"+ common in with 4 tiny and 3 near-adult bristlenose, and they do fine. Plecos that are conspecific will sometimes be quite territorial and have brutal fights, but commons and BNs are fine together.

It can, however, be difficult to be sure everyone gets enough to eat. I usually put the largest piece of vegetable in the middle of the tank for the common, then a few clips with smaller pieces around the tank for the little guys, and try to sprinkle prepared foods in the corners a bit, where the BNs have easy access and the common has to work for it.

Right before I adopted out my common, I was starting to notice the exact opposite problem. My common and my bn both decided they liked the same cave and the bn was downright vicious about it! The bn is about 3", the common around 5".

I added a BN in with my common pleco and the BN fought it for home territory. The BN eventually won, but it wasn't pretty for a few days. Then..the common that I'd had for 3 years or so died a few weeks later. Maybe was a lack of food, I just don't know.

Just be aware, they might tiff for a bit, but they'll work things out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom