Would an Elephant Nose do well in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColemAnthony1

Aquarium Advice Activist
My favorite fish store has several Elephant Nose (Gnathonemus petersii) for sale and I really would like to get one. I have a 60 gallon tank with a lot of filtration and clean water. I've got a white sand substrate, driftwood, and large river rocks. The inhabitants of the tank are several angelfish, a Senegal Bichir, a Bolivian ram, a kribs cichlids, 4 Odessa barbs, an African Featherfin catfish, an African leaf fish, and a few Cory catfish. They're fed a variety of food including frozen brine shrimp, Omega 1 flakes, chopped earthworm, Hikari sinking pellets and mealworms. What would y'all suggest? We're headed to Portland soon (where the fish store is) and I want to get something new and unique for my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You may run into predatory issues as it grows. And with a fairly timid nature it seems like this tank (although very beautiful) seems to lack hiding spots/ plants. The clear background wont help either.

The real question is..

Are you ready to remedy any issues you may run into ?

If so go for it.

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

I wouldn't. Those angelfish are going to be nasty when grown up. I hope you have a plan for them in the near future because that's not going to work long term. You may want to check Aqadvisor and see if you can keep all those fish together happily.

Elephant noses prefer living in groups and do get pretty big (9") IMO you couldn't fit 1, let alone 3-4, in here. I've heard that they can get pretty aggressive when full grown, too. Your tank looks good, and I would leave it like it is :)

I wouldn't. Those angelfish are going to be nasty when grown up. I hope you have a plan for them in the near future because that's not going to work long term. You may want to check Aqadvisor and see if you can keep all those fish together happily.

Elephant noses prefer living in groups and do get pretty big (9") IMO you couldn't fit 1, let alone 3-4, in here. I've heard that they can get pretty aggressive when full grown, too. Your tank looks good, and I would leave it like it is :)

For sure. 100%

But hey if you want an elephant nose get an elephant nose. And do what you gotta do to make it work.

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

Thanks for the advice! As far as care for the fish goes, are they relatively easy to care for? Or are they more difficult?

Your tank is really heavily stocked as it is, or at least it will be when everything is grown. I wouldn't add another 9" fish.

I dub your scape Mortal Kombat. The wood looks like two characters facing off. What has been seen cannot be unseen. You're welcome.

If the elephant nose doesn't work, Anybody got any ideas about any cool unique fish I could get? Preferably one that hangs near the bottom of the tank.

Anybody got any ideas about any cool unique fish I could get? Preferably one that hangs near the bottom of the tank.

A school of 5 zebra loaches or angelicus loaches! Cool colors, bottom dwelling, and they exhibit social behavior not unlike that of a wolf pack with an "alpha" loach and a pecking order of loaches beneath them. They communicate dominance through audible clicking sounds (you'll often hear during feeding time). They can also be trained to eat from your hand. Very underappreciated fish!

I think the biggest roadblock here is the bichir.

I have a friend who had one and it took down mollies one by one and the bichir wasn't even close to adult size. It would grab on and death roll them

Edit: that being said it would need to be a sizable fish that could hold its own.

Caleb

I think the biggest roadblock here is the bichir.

I have a friend who had one and it took down mollies one by one and the bichir wasn't even close to adult size. It would grab on and death roll them

Edit: that being said it would need to be a sizable fish that could hold its own.

Caleb

I forgot about the bichir. Yeah, with the bichir you're prettymuch going to have to get large adult fish or else the bichir might outgrow and then eat them. Especially with loaches. I doubt a bichir could eat an adult angelicus but loaches grow slowly.

Yah. My Bichir, "Whispy" isn't fully grown yet. He ate all but one of my Bloodfins, both of my Otto cats, and my golden wonder killies. I would get rid of him (though I really think he's awesome :( and I don't know what to do with him.) but I will if it's necessary...

Yah. My Bichir, "Whispy" isn't fully grown yet. He ate all but one of my Bloodfins, both of my Otto cats, and my golden wonder killies. I would get rid of him (though I really think he's awesome :( and I don't know what to do with him.) but I will if it's necessary...

I wouldn't say it's necessary, but he'll make it really difficult to get anything else. Bichirs are pretty cool though :)

Ok. I've got a couple zipper loaches in there with him and he is always chilling with them on the sand. Ive been feeding him more than I did before and he hasn't bothered my last Bloodfin. He's always gotta big lump in his tummy. Do you think if I kept him nice and full that he'd be less inclined to try and eat the smaller guys?

Back
Top Bottom