Would an upsidedown catfish eat a blanched zuchinni or peas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smileyface9

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I was wondering if my black upside down catfish might eat blanched zuchinni or peas? And if so should i cut up the zuchinni in bite size peices or would he bite off of it himself?

I haven't kept upsidedown catfish before but I put in vegies like cucumber and zuchinni for my bristlenose catfish and loaches who love it.. My other fish (gouramis, tetras, corydoras) all pick at it too, so I imagine an upsidedown catfish would eat them too? I soften hard vegies like zuchinni in the microwave, then put around 1cm slices in the tank weighed down by rocks and remove the left overs the next day.
I would put some in your tank and watch to see if he eats it or not :)

Which species of upside down catfish is it? All black with a few gold or silver "flakes" on the sides isn't a Synodontis, and not really inclined to eat veggies aside from spirulina flake or wafers.

Thanks! And it's black and had some silver flakes on the side, but mostly black. I tried finding out more info about it, but it's hard cause all the upside down catfish info i found was on the ones that look like they have spots on them. I also have shrimp pellots, but whenever i put them in the tank for him my blood parrot cichlids rush to it. I saw him eat the blood worms i gave my fish today though. (i got him two days ago)

Try searching for info on the Asian upside-down catfish. They're relatively aggressive fish, grow to a fair size, and mix well with larger cichlids. Highly conspecific-aggressive, either keep 1 or keep 10 (or more) in a large tank. Keeping a few will quickly end up as 1 that has killed the others, quite similar to P. demasoni in that respect.

Thanks! So he's an asian upside down catfish? Even though he'a mostly black? The pic i saw on the internet (on one site) showed it was silver had had a black stripe.

Back
Top Bottom