would you buy from ebay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Would you buy a tank from ebay?

• YES!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO!!

• Depends on the person

• Total voters

Newbneedshelp

Aquarium Advice Freak
well i want to know what you think of the tanks on ebay becuase i want to buy a 30 gal if you ddint already know and i was wondering if i should get it there?

I have rules that I use for eBay purchases. The seller must have a feedback score of over 98%. I also look into shipping, but you're probably picking up the tank.
Other than that, I outfitted my wedding party and have bought tons of stuff on eBay!

YES!! My recent treasure find of tank stuff (lr, lights, fish, coral) were found on ebay. I was surfing and found this awesome deal on lr, 80 miles from my house.
Turns out the guy gave me hundreds of dollars of stuff more than the great deal he already gave me on the lr. :wink:

YES, Ebay! Keeps the larger stores honest. :wink:

i cant and dont want to remember what life was like before ebay. i havent bought a tank yet, mostly becus ei live in the armpit of the world and so no one lives near me, and hardly anyone ships tanks. BUT i bought my entire dj setup second hand on ebay and it's been awesome.
rules i agree
i never deal with anyone who has more than 2 negs in the last six months and i read the comments on those and the replies with fervor. check the shipping cost and use a pay service that insures for fradulant auctions.

Menagerie said:
I have rules that I use for eBay purchases. The seller must have a feedback score of over 98%. I also look into shipping, but you're probably picking up the tank.
Other than that, I outfitted my wedding party and have bought tons of stuff on eBay!

Ditto...well, except for the wedding bit. :p

eBay ALL THE WAY!

My eBay deals since January of this year;
* Red Sea Wavemaker $88 US (shipping included)
* Two 3/4" Sea-Swirl Rotating Return Devices $100 + $60 (Retail for the two would be $320)
* My Pride and Joy...
"175 Gallon Oceanic Bow Front tank, mint condition, includes tank, full bottom cabinet, and full top canopy."
I checked out Big Al's and they sell it for $3000 CDN - I got it for $810 CDN ( approx $624.00 US ).

I saw them online at http://www.gkpet.com/aquariumprice.html for $ 1583.92 US
Here's the initial thread from January.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=13045&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=ebay&start=10

eBay Tips;
1> Know what you want.
2> Know how much you are willing to pay.
3> Check the seller's negative feedback. (Don't just check the feedback rating. We all start at zero - doesn't make him a bad guy).
4> Be Patient. Better deals come around if the current one starts getting too pricey.

Speaking of patience... My tank still doesn't have water in it yet because I am still acquiring components.

Lucky I have my FW tanks to keep my MTS under control.

HTH,
Paul.

Wow do I love Ebay! I can shop around the world for the best price - and do it in my underwear. I'm surprized that probably about 90% of the stuff I look at (movies and electronics) is brand new. You can buy movies for way cheep - especially if you buy a few and combine shipping.

I do admit you need to be careful. Kind of like Menagerie said, I don't usually buy unless the person has 99% positive feedback. I do make exceptions when the price is worth chancing it. I'm betting 99% is better than most stores.

Yep ebay is fab, all i do is check their feed back. watch out for postage, (im looking at buying a tank too, they all seem to be collect only)

I generally find what i want from manufactures websites, then go get it from ebay :D bargin :D

Oh its great for selling too :wink:

i think im going to look into buying a tank from ebay even if the tank leaks i know how to fix them, the only 2 problems i can think of it being cracked, or whoever is selling run away with my money..

I am always scanning e-bay for a great tank deal...there's no way I'll pay full retail for a tank set up when theres always someone giving up the hobby...I'm sure my next tank will be from e-bay

hmm from what youve all said it looks like ill be getting my next tank on ebay.....my problem is how can you know hwne someone is trying to scam you...or is there no way?

well the high ratings and what not help, but honestly you dont. thats the beauty of insurance and what not. but i HAS to cover fraud, i believe using a good credit card and paypal can do this. anyone. i think some cards by themselves do this

I think when it comes to picking up a tank from someone locally, where you will be seeing them face to face, fraud will generally be less of a problem. I would not hesitate - I have gotten fish and collectibles and other items from ebay, all great deals. Be sure and post positive feedback when you have a successful transaction.

BTW, the seller is just as worried about fraud on their end as you are on yours, so it works both ways.

Back
Top Bottom