xenia ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashobson

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had this xenia for about 6 months. When I first got it it had just split another small split came off after having it about 1 month recently it started splitting again both peace the last couple weeks it has been about half the size it usually has been real small polyps not pulsating at all. is this something to do with the way they are splitting? all my other corals look fine. my ammonia is 0 nitres 0 nitrates 30 I don't have test kits for calcium or phospates. so I do not know where they are at my pacific gravity is 25 my temp is 78 my lighting is 130 watt pc. I do a 5 gal water change every 2 weeks. 29 gal tank. My skimmer is built into the skelter and has not had any thing in it for the last couple days but i did empty it and still had this proplem if it is a problem. I am thinking of replacing the skimmer with another when I can get back up to premune aaquitcts. any help is aparacitated thank you.

The main problem is Xeniid's hate nitrates, you need to improve upon that. Several water changes over the next 7-10 days with well aged/aerated SW will help. It will also benefit the chemistry if it's lacking, saltmix depending. Try in future to increase your water changes to 10% weekly to aid in controling the nitrates and watch your feeding schedule.

As far as the skimmer, a skilters performance is a little outreached for that tank size. Better off with a BakPak II or Aqua C.

What other corals do you have in the tank and do you use carbon?

Cheers
Steve

Yes I use carbon I have 40 + mushrooms a kenia tree, a large green star. all doing well.

xenia are very tempermental corals and are very sensative to nitrates. if i notice a little extra algae on the sand or glass the xenias will decrease thier pulsing. this usually is directly related to either phosphates or nitrates. a little extra water change and the xenias will usually return to normal. on the carbon note, how old is your carbon? old carbon will leech phosphates back into the water.

steve r

Ok so you say do 3 gal water changes weekly instead of the 5 gal every other week. I should also do about 3 3 gal water changes over the next 7 days so would that be do a 3 gal water change every other nite? I have been using oceanotic salt mix. I usually mix the water the night before with a power head moving it. Is that what you mean by aged if I used water from the 75 I know it has real high nitrates it is a fish only tank I don't have much allege on the glass just 1 little spot of red on the back class about the size of a quarter. I will mix up 3 gals tonight but will not have any more ro water until saturday.

ashobson said:
Ok so you say do 3 gal water changes weekly instead of the 5 gal every other week. I should also do about 3 3 gal water changes over the next 7 days so would that be do a 3 gal water change every other nite?
Do a few 20% water changes for the nitrate. 3x3 gal water changes would only yield in a 30% drop in the nitrate. You need to get it below 15 ppm or lower.

Is that what you mean by aged if I used water from the 75 I know it has real high nitrates it is a fish only tank
No, aged simpley means properly aerated and mixed for at least a full day. New SW added to a tank can be quite damaging if not completely dissolved and the chem stabalized. Using the water from another tank transfers the organics along with it and defeats the purpose. As far as the 75 gal being a fish only tank, high nitrates there are a concern as well. Contrary to popular belief, high nitrates at any time in any type of system are not acceptable. Although the nitrate itself won't damage the fish to any real degree, it weekens their immune system and opens the door to opportunistic bacteria and possibley worm infestations.

Cheers
Steve

Xeniid's are more reactive to changes in pH but unless it's a cronic issue, I would not be overly concerned. The water changes should repair the chemistry issues if any unless there is a CO2 problem.

Cheers
Steve

I will do the 3 gal tonight my wife is going into town to wall mart in the morning I will have her bring home 10 gals and I will do a 9 gal water change saturday as well. then I will pick up another 5 gals of water sunday and do another change on monday and see what that dose to my nitrate levels.

look into getting a ro/di unit as well...it will save you money in the long run... no more buying water.

Yea I thought about geting one but I do not have a good place for it the ro unit. I dont have a utilty room with a utity sink. So i will probably stick to the once a week 10 gal purchase at wall mart.

Ok bought a new nitrate test kit today and more salt. I used the other kit up today my nitrate leveals are 0 but my xenia still only looks a little beter. Maybe my tank is one of them that wont suport xenias my other corals look great. after doing the last water change my tomato clown jumped out and killed him self. Wish I would have found him sooner.

Sorry to hear about the clown. I hope everything else has a possitive spin from here on out though. As for the Xenia, give it some time. If it's been under stress for any length of time it can take it a while to regain it's health. Be patient and be vigilant on the water quality.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks I will do another 5 gal water change today I will test the water everyday to see how the nitrates do. All my other corals look great and have been growing well.

In the top left of this image, I see a powerhead pointed inwards and downwards?

PICT0002a.jpg

If this is so, it could be irritating the Xenia some and may need to be adjusted. Other than the slight shrunken appearance, I see nothing to be concerned about.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom