Yellow water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Screwylui

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey i was just curious if any of you out there had yellowish green water. it's not like a full blown algae bloom, i'm not even sure if it is algae related... but the colour is pretty unnattractive. not even a 25% PWC affects it much. any suggestions on getting that water crystal clear?

TIA

Luis

Do you have driftwood in the tank? Tannins from the driftwood can cause this. Add activated carbon in your filter to rid the tank of any color.

ya i do have drift wood.. i soaked the wood for a really long time until the water was clear but now that you mention it .. would it be possible that the fact that my water is close to 90 F for heat treating ICH, that the tannins would more easily leech out ?

Luis

Yes, I think that's possible. I'm pretty sure that's why people around here suggest boiling the wood; because it causes the tannins to leech out faster. I never boiled any of my wood, even though I probably should have. :oops: I know you don't like the way it looks, but at least the tannins are not harmful to your fish so it is really nothing to worry about. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom