You got to read this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All organisms have emotions. Are a fish's emotions as evolved and complex as ours, i doubt it, but i do think they feel simple forms of joy and despair

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Simply put, a fish would have a black and white area, whereas humans have every shade of gray in between

Simply put, a fish would have a black and white area, whereas humans have every shade of gray in between

I think it's more than just a black and white.

Schooling fish are uncomfortable if that school is not met even if it is a completely peaceful tank.

Kuhli hide and play with each other.

It's all part of their personality that ties with their behavior

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I dont know why but it seems as though the general thought is that the smaller an organisms brain is the less intelligent it is. And in some cases it's true but not always. Fish feel pain, insects feel pain (though not as we define it) I can't understand why people would think any living creature is immune to pain. Sure they might be resistant or not show it in ways we recognize.

There's so much personality in my fish I consider them equal to other pets I've had, dogs, cats and even horses. They deserve the same level of treatment as any ofthe aforementioned but so rarely receive it....

I wasnt saying they didnt feel pain, im saying humans have more hormones and therefore a more complex system of emotions than less evolved organisms

I wasnt saying they didnt feel pain, im saying humans have more hormones and therefore a more complex system of emotions than less evolved organisms

...humans have more hormones? Where did you get that fact...?

On the personality trait aspect of things my angelfish acts a lot like a puppy. He's really silly and gets super excited about food and says hi anytime im in the room. I believe its more than just black and white, how far that extends though depends on the fish I suppose

Well we do have 2 or 3 hormones from placenta that i do not think fish have. Im sure there are lists somewhere. All im saying is that being much more complex, i do not feel as if animals quite have the emotional system we do. Animals are very instinctive, but humans are more logical. Example: a tiger barb gets kicked out of the school, he will be sad and try to rejoin. A kid disowned by a group will sometimes blame themselves or undergo confusion, depression, what have you.

Well we do have 2 or 3 hormones from placenta that i do not think fish have. Im sure there are lists somewhere. All im saying is that being much more complex, i do not feel as if animals quite have the emotional system we do. Animals are very instinctive, but humans are more logical. Example: a tiger barb gets kicked out of the school, he will be sad and try to rejoin. A kid disowned by a group will sometimes blame themselves or undergo confusion, depression, what have you.

How do you know a tiger barb doesn't feel those things? You aren't a tiger barb and neither am I. It's just an assumption we make, because if they do feel those things they don't show it in the same way as we do- but of course they don't; they're fish, not people. And I don't really know how many hormones fish or humans have, but I know that fish have huge numbers of complex neuroendocrine pathways and share a whole host of the same hormones with humans and other animals.

I also wouldn't say fish are "less complex". They may lack certain features that we would call "advanced", but they are even more complex in how they use what they have to make up for a lack of features we would call "advanced".

Your analogy made no sense to me but I get what you are saying. I think humans were specifically made to be more emotional than other life forms. I think dogs and cats are right under us and so on.

One think I have read that is a valid point is the thing with fish compared to other pets is the lack of touch. People love petting their animals and holding them during storms. You can't do that with fish, well, it's not good for them anyways because of the slime coat. This automatically is a downside that many people see. I think it's another reason fish are so easily neglected.

Caleb

Your analogy made no sense to me but I get what you are saying. I think humans were specifically made to be more emotional than other life forms. I think dogs and cats are right under us and so on.

Caleb

I mean, we were made to be more relationally emotional, since we come from a long lineage of animals with very complex group hierarchical behaviors. But then, lots of fish have those too. I don't think we really know enough about brains, neuroscience, evolutionary psychology, or animal behavior to really say much about this stuff for sure.

I mean, we were made to be more relationally emotional, since we come from a long lineage of animals with very complex group hierarchical behaviors. But then, lots of fish have those too. I don't think we really know enough about brains, neuroscience, evolutionary psychology, or animal behavior to really say much about this stuff for sure.

That's true! Fish could be the kindest creatures ever to each other and we wouldn't know it because we don't know what they are saying.

All the languages in the world and we can't decide what animals say!

Caleb

I mean, scientists found that fish will mate more after having watched, ahem, fishy adult videos. And these weren't the sorts of "smart" fish we usually think of- they were sticklebacks!

I mean, scientists found that fish will mate more after having watched, ahem, fishy adult videos. And these weren't the sorts of "smart" fish we usually think of- they were sticklebacks!

Wow that's actually really interesting! Perhaps an evolutionary tool to coordinate the mating cycle. Nature astounds me sometimes xD

Back
Top Bottom