Zanclus canescens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemonsong

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello eveyrone out there,

Im wondering on this fish; the morrish idol. I have been researching this

fish for quite sometime and I have a couple questions if anyone can help

me awnser them. What are the parameters needed to keep this fish

(temp,PH,S.G.) and what would be a good minimum tank size. Well I also

cant find an accurate description of size, this is my conclusion: 4" in the

body 7" with the dorsal fin. And by the way I know thta they are not good

eaters. I just like to research any fish I happen to come across in the LFS

that I dont have a total knowing about. Well hope some one gets back to

me soon. Thanks a million in advance. Happy fish keeping! :)

The Moorish Idol is a very difficult fish. They do not ship well and most die. My strongest opinion is they are best left in the ocean, but they are not impossible though if you can manage to obtain an exceptionally healthy specimen.

I would advise a very large tank...absolute minimum IMO would be 125 gallons and should be a mature reef setting allowing free access to natural growth from live rock with ample swimming room. Being these fish eat coral in the wild, just as any other butterfly fish, they MUST have this protein if they are expected to live for any good length of time in captivity. Ocean Nutrition has an Angel formula frozen food with sponge. This will help, but supplying polyps and other coral from time to time for it to eat would be much better. Meaty foods like clams and mussles are helpful. Brine shrimp fortified spiralina, purple seaweed...Always allow them access to good macro algae to graze. If you can have a serious large tank, a small school may be probable, but you'd need at least 300 gallons and they should be in a school of at least five (to keep natural aggressions widely dispersed) and preferrably introduced at the same time. They should be the most aggressive fish in their tank to keep stress levels on them down.

Just as any other marine tank, temp should be aout 76 degrees, pH: 8.2, SG: 1.020 to 1.024.

BTW...7" is about average.

"Reef Tank Suitability: Moorish Idols will often pick at LPS corals, and certain soft coral polyps. Although this fish primarily eats coraline algae and sponge in nature, this doesn't mean that it might not pick at other types of sessile invertebrates, or maybe even motile crustaceans."

taken from:

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/tangsurgeonfishprofiles/p/p_moorishidol.htm

"It is compatible with most fish and larger invertebrates, but should not be kept with any polyps or corals, which it will eat. Small invertebrates may be threatened as well. "

Taken from:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=371

"The Moorish idol eats coral polyps and some have been reported eating sponges and small invertebrates."

Taken from:

http://www.reef.org/member/forum/fom/may01.htm

As beautiful as this fish is...pass on it. They have a very dismal survival rate in the home aquarium. Just not worth it.

Back
Top Bottom