Ziggy's 40b Planted Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just found your thread man! I'll definitely be following and thanks for the billion snails and coral today. Sad to see you leaving the reefing side but I'm sure this tank will be epic!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You're welcome!

I'm glad you were able to come get that stuff before I leave town tomorrow!

Well, while collecting rock yesterday I decided to go in a different direction. I just completed the scape (minus the wood as I don't have it yet) and I am very pleased.

I am working on uploading pics now.

Here we go...

FTS
gtZg1tz.jpg

RS - Looking towards the left
lWj8Ofv.jpg

LS - Looking towards the right
frrDjls.jpg

I need to get some wood to add to the tank and maybe a few more smaller rocks to tie things together a little better. All in all I am very pleased with how this has turned out. What do you all think??

I spent about 3 hours putting this together. Getting all the substrate supports in place was the most time consuming task. I hope I have enough in there to keep things from sliding down hill when the tank is filled. I will not have any updates for a little while. The tank is going to sit like this, no water :-/, I am going out of town tomorrow for a week on business. I doubt I will get much done next weekend. Hopefully all the other stuff I've ordered will come in while I'm out of town.

Anyway, I would love to hear what you think.

DANG!!

I love it! It reminds me of James Findley's 'Altitude':

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/ad0pwwt17KU/maxresdefault.jpg

Like the rock shape and placement. I watched the full video of how he accomplished it (it's a really tall tank for an aquascape) and this reminds me of when he only had his hardscape in place.

My only concern is if you'll be able to have room to put stem plants behind that far back left rock. But that might not be your plan.

DANG!!

I love it! It reminds me of James Findley's 'Altitude':

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/ad0pwwt17KU/maxresdefault.jpg

Like the rock shape and placement. I watched the full video of how he accomplished it (it's a really tall tank for an aquascape) and this reminds me of when he only had his hardscape in place.

My only concern is if you'll be able to have room to put stem plants behind that far back left rock. But that might not be your plan.

Thanks!

James is one of my inspiration for aquascape. I think I've watched every video TGM has put out.

I have a plan for that back corner ;-). I'm not going to give away everything I'm planning I want to see how it develops. I want to intermingle some wood in the rock on the left, make it look as though it got stuck there in the flow of water. I haven't fully decided on the right side but I am leaning towards a meadow of DHG with a few twigs sticking up out of the grass.

So I finally made it back home. My business trip was horrible!

Anyway on to the tank:

Things look really good so far. I left water in the tank while I was gone to allow the substrate to settle and release air bubbles. Tonight I drained it and refilled it. I also put on a reactor with some filter media and an ammonia reducer. I don't want the tank to cycle really right now I just want to get the substrate settled and packed down. I'm not in a big rush to get things in this tank yet so i'm taking my time.

Here are a couple pics from today:

I added a couple pieces of driftwood that I had from the other system.

Thoughts? Comments?

S2H4QAL.jpg

FkbE2aO.jpg

DzZsRjD.jpg

Hmmmm. Honestly, the driftwood looks too exposed and separated from the rocks.

Combining driftwood and rocks is very difficult though.

Hmmmm. Honestly, the driftwood looks too exposed and separated from the rocks.

Combining driftwood and rocks is very difficult though.

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. I don't think the wood is in the final place yet. I agree it doesn't look just right. I may not use the wood that is in the tank at all. I have more ordered. I want to give it a shot if I don't like the final look I'll keep trying or scrap the wood all together.

I think the size of the rocks over powers the wood you have in their visually. If it were me I'd go with something thicker to balance things out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. I don't think the wood is in the final place yet. I agree it doesn't look just right. I may not use the wood that is in the tank at all. I have more ordered. I want to give it a shot if I don't like the final look I'll keep trying or scrap the wood all together.

Yeah your rocks look great but I'm not sold on the wood. Just wanted to give honest feedback. The tank really does look nice though with just rocks. Even with wood it's pretty sweet.

I think the size of the rocks over powers the wood you have in their visually. If it were me I'd go with something thicker to balance things out

I agree. I think thicker more substantial wood will make a difference. I have a lot more on the way and will play with some design elements before I make a final decision.

Yeah your rocks look great but I'm not sold on the wood. Just wanted to give honest feedback. The tank really does look nice though with just rocks. Even with wood it's pretty sweet.

I want honest feedback, I appreciate it!

I have all the time in the world to get this scape looking just right. I am in no hurry to finish this tank. I want things to look perfect!

Looks better without the wood. It was nice to see those rocks close up. Very nice specimens.

Those certainly are some great looking rocks!

I'm not sure it needs driftwood but if you add it maybe try going from one of the back corners? So the "beginning" of the DW is hidden by rock.

We are all trying to create a piece of nature in a glass box. The best part about nature is that it's not perfect, symmetrical, or balanced. It's created with chaos. Keep doing what you're doing, it will come to you. I was just told by my man IFG on yt, repetition is the father of learning. So true.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom