Ziggy's 40b Planted Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh I'm all about research. I've been researching for like 6 months now before I'm finally gathering supplies lol. Hubby has been a little jealous of my attention ? he is like "you ever going to get your nose out of you phone and just order something??"

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Keep at it!

My best advice is to invest in a good substrate, decent lighting and pressurized CO2. Those three things will get you off to a good start.

Substrate is squared away, I have a Finnex planted + 24/7 on the way as we speak. Still trying find a CO2 I can actually afford. Oh and if you don't mind me asking...any suggestions on plant tabs? I have Seachem Flourish and Flourish Excel that someone donated to my cause

Substrate is squared away, I have a Finnex planted + 24/7 on the way as we speak. Still trying find a CO2 I can actually afford. Oh and if you don't mind me asking...any suggestions on plant tabs? I have Seachem Flourish and Flourish Excel that someone donated to my cause

I've never used root tabs in my tanks.

CO2 does not have to be expensive. A tank should run you about $65 and $25 to fill it. A decent regulator with solenoid is about $80. I dose my tank using the PPS Pro method.

Okay gotcha, that makes sense.

Ditto on the cost of the CO2 rig. You can downsize the CO2 tank to a 24 oz paintball tank for about $25. You would need a paintball adaptor for this. Refills at any place that refills paintball tanks usually cost around $4 and it lasts me about 4 months (your mileage may vary). I did DIY CO2 for a year and got good results but the CO2 levels were not consistent and I got tired of mixing up batches every 1-2 weeks. I'm using an Aquatek Premium Regulator with Cool Touch Solenoid. The fine control is a bit touchy, but overall it does the job.
I also use GLA's PPS-Pro ferts. The kit I bought 2 years ago still has plenty left in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I use the Aquatek Mini Regulator for paintball tanks and not had any problems so far. Once you get it dialed the way you want it seems to stay spot on. Others have had issues but I havent, crossing fingers. I've been running 2 bps in a 20g for 8 hrs a day and one tank has lasted almost 6 months. Fill up at Dicks sporting goods is 5 bucks.

I've also started using diy root tabs using Osmocoate plant fertilizer. There is a thread on here with instructions, super cheap.

I now have two Milwaukee MA957 regulators. One has a 3 way splitter on it the other is a single. I just need another CO2 tank to get the ADA tank going.

I now have two Milwaukee MA957 regulators. One has a 3 way splitter on it the other is a single. I just need another CO2 tank to get the ADA tank going.

Is the 3 way splitter integrated with the regulator or can it be retrofitted?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok so to answer you question the 3way was retro-fitted on a standard MA957 Regulator with solenoid

10352-albums14483-picture69710.jpg

10352-albums14483-picture69709.jpg

10352-albums14483-picture69708.jpg

The parts are easily attained, however not super cheap considering I have 3 needle valves on this rig. I don't know exactly the cost as it was given to me as is. I do know they are available online. The MA957 I just got in is a single but identical otherwise to the one in the pics. Great regulator.

Well gang it is time to take the top off, trim the heck out of some plants and do a water change. I cleaned the hoses out yesterday and rinsed the filter media. What a mess that was.

I'll post some pics later of the before trim and after.

Trim and water change is done... now I need to build a small shelf in the stand for my fert solutions to sit on then I have to remix solutions and dose the tank.

Whew! A lot of tank work today!

Here is what I started with:

Y9SbEPH.jpg

JtecSye.jpg

R48U764.jpg

pzH4JZe.jpg

The plants are growing really fast. This is after having trimmed them last weekend. It looks like I will be doing this weekly.

Here are some pics during the water change:

tZFEtgS.jpg

sO2WbcE.jpg

uZoTdD2.jpg

My little DIY shelf for the fert solutions:

z7nb2Kw.jpg

After cleaning things up and installing the solutions on their new shelf:
MLUaENf.jpg

And of course what you all want to see...the tank after trimming and water change:

A pic of the tank before I was completely finished - top isn't on and the light being used is my new 24" light for the ADA tank.
Ry44Gxc.jpg

Here's the finished tank
bUZezcU.jpg

QoN39W9.jpg

X8dD1GP.jpg

Lol this thread is awesome. Such a beautiful tank! I know, it's been said repeatedly, but it's that gorgeous!! You've definitely inspired me to consider upping my game on my 55g!
:D:sly:;)

Back
Top Bottom