Ziggy's 54g Corner ReScape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think you've already been asked but is the overflow still in use?
Is that another custom led setup I see?

sit in silence...

The overflow is not in use in the traditional sense. I am using it to house the heater and inflow for the canister in this setup. I have PVC pipe in the two holes keeping the water from flowing out of the tank.

The LED on this tank is the first led light that I built. The build of this light is in the original thread for the 54g corner planter. A very old thread but still out there somewhere.

I just ordered new LEDs to rewire this light. I am going to ramp it up to 28 3w LEDs, 20 white, 4 red and 4 greens. I might run some of the 1w blues as well.

The overflow is not in use in the traditional sense. I am using it to house the heater and inflow for the canister in this setup. I have PVC pipe in the two holes keeping the water from flowing out of the tank.

The LED on this tank is the first led light that I built. The build of this light is in the original thread for the 54g corner planter. A very old thread but still out there somewhere.

I just ordered new LEDs to rewire this light. I am going to ramp it up to 28 3w LEDs, 20 white, 4 red and 4 greens. I might run some of the 1w blues as well.

Nice,3w leds got that deep penetrating power...call you Dr.DIY!

sit in silence...

Found it! Making that corner tanks sing huh??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I like the overflow hiding the heater and such. You could almost affix steel mesh and get a bad moss wall going back there.

I have a 12"x12" sheet of 304 stainless steel mesh that I'm not using in case you need SS mesh. I think black plastic craft mesh might work better since it blends in better.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I like the overflow hiding the heater and such. You could almost affix steel mesh and get a bad moss wall going back there.

That's a pretty cool idea however I have to get this tank back together. My place is full of buckets and totes filled with plants and fish...

I have a 12"x12" sheet of 304 stainless steel mesh that I'm not using in case you need SS mesh. I think black plastic craft mesh might work better since it blends in better.

Thanks for the offer but I'm not going to do the moss wall though it was a cool idea.

Holy Crap!!!

I have been working on this tank all day long!

Here is what I have done so far..

NVbpez8.jpg

hpRFrb8.jpg

NpGOWAT.jpg

ETB9Q33.jpg

bcjKsv0.jpg

And no I'm not leaving the giant mat of HC like that. I am going to separate it and plant it properly.

Hc is the one carpet id still like to try, seems to be a tough one to root?? Another member on here let it grow through stainless mesh after nearly losing his mind watching it constantly uprooted. Scape looms great. Height can be fun if you have the proper lighting (you do).

Hc is the one carpet id still like to try, seems to be a tough one to root?? Another member on here let it grow through stainless mesh after nearly losing his mind watching it constantly uprooted. Scape looms great. Height can be fun if you have the proper lighting (you do).

It is difficult to root. I'm going to give it a try and see what happens. If it doesn't stay down I will use it in the ADA tank. I just finished filling the tank. After it clears a bit more I will post more pics.

Looking good so far Ziggy..that's a huge hc mat!

sit in silence...

That HC mat was huge. I got it for $12 at my LFS today. I also added a few other plants not previously in the 54g tank. The new LEDs are on the way. I need to order drivers for them. My current buckpucks will not fire the 3w LEDs I'm going to use.

Here are some pics after planting and filling the tank...

uHZ8q6V.jpg

phK4MFm.jpg

UGIFulO.jpg

I am pleased with the outcome. I'm going to wait for about a week before adding the fish back to the tank. I need to test the water and see what it is doing. My guess is I will have an ammonia spike.

You used ada aquasoil in here?

Oh ok, I thought I read ada somewhere.. i use the brightwell, no noticeable ammonia spike in my tanks.

Oh ok, I thought I read ada somewhere.. i use the brightwell, no noticeable ammonia spike in my tanks.

I also reused the substrate that was in the tank. That is what gave me the height in the back and sides. That stuff has been in the tank for over 5 years now. I am sure I stirred up some mess when I drained the tank and redid the scape.

Wow, this is a very cool tank. Can't wait to see it when everything settles in and you put the fish back in. I'm intrigued about the DIY LED you have running here. Very cool stuff!

Wow, this is a very cool tank. Can't wait to see it when everything settles in and you put the fish back in. I'm intrigued about the DIY LED you have running here. Very cool stuff!

Thanks!

The LED light is a much older version of the light I have on my 40b. Same basic principle but using older technology and older LEDs. The upgrade will be much more intense.

Back
Top Bottom